• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Medicinal Marijuana approval and CPL

TheRabbitsHole

imported post

Would be interested to hear thoughts on this subject. Legalities & gray areas specifically.

I wasn't able to locate anything useful in a search.

I assume, as long as you're not under the influence while carrying, you should be legal. Realisticly it should be like any other medication?

Recently some guy's home was invaded and searched that grew medicinal, was approved for it and had the legal document on his front door. They destroyed his crop and caused him grief.

The CPL requirements just say you cannot have been convicted of a controlled substance posession within 3 years prior to application. I can't find anywhere that it says you must be able to pass a pee test.

SpringerXDacp

imported post

ethernetweb wrote:
Would be interested to hear thoughts on this subject. Legalities & gray areas specifically.

I wasn't able to locate anything useful in a search.

I assume, as long as you're not under the influence while carrying, you should be legal. Realisticly it should be like any other medication?

Recently some guy's home was invaded and searched that grew medicinal, was approved for it and had the legal document on his front door. They destroyed his crop and caused him grief.

The CPL requirements just say you cannot have been convicted of a controlled substance posession within 3 years prior to application. I can't find anywhere that it says you must be able to pass a pee test.

This is true, but, read this:

http://www.totaldui.com/news/articles/drugs/under-influence-michigan.aspx

This is where a lot of "what ifs" could come into play while driving/CC/OC.

IMO, anyone who has the Medical Marijuana Pass, will never be issued a CPL. Even if marijuana was legal to use/possess in Michigan, I highly doubt a gun board will issue a CPL.

Also See:
http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(kk440q550vw11a55gw4w1d55))/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectName=mcl-28-425k

jeremy05

imported post

[font="book antiqua, times new roman, times"]First and foremost: Marijuana, for any use, is illegal under federal law. Even if you live in a state that has enacted legislation or passed a ballot initiative that recognizes marijuana's medical utility you are subject to arrest by federal officials for possession or cultivation of marijuana.

So don't let me catch you. Should be a fun day at one of these medical marijuana conventions if they have the drug on hand! :lol: I can only imagine going into one and walking out with like 50 arrests. God I hate hippies.
[/font]

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
So don't let me catch you.  Should be a fun day at one of these medical marijuana conventions if they have the drug on hand! :lol: I can only imagine going into one and walking out with like 50 arrests.  God I hate hippies.

A**hole. Yeah, let's arrest terminally ill cancer patients FOR FUN!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
[font="book antiqua, times new roman, times"]First and foremost: Marijuana, for any use, is illegal under federal law. Even if you live in a state that has enacted legislation or passed a ballot initiative that recognizes marijuana's medical utility you are subject to arrest by federal officials for possession or cultivation of marijuana.

So don't let me catch you. Should be a fun day at one of these medical marijuana conventions if they have the drug on hand! :lol: I can only imagine going into one and walking out with like 50 arrests. God I hate hippies.
[/font]
See: MichiganMedicalMarijuana dot org :shock:

jeremy05

imported post

zigziggityzoo wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:

A**hole. Yeah, let's arrest terminally ill cancer patients FOR FUN!
oh god, we all know the medical use makes up 1% of the people who actually are going to try getting it.

jeremy05

imported post

SpringerXDacp wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:

[/font]
oh sweet jackpot!

SpringerXDacp

imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
SpringerXDacp wrote:
jeremy05 wrote:

[/font]
oh sweet jackpot!
I have not done enough research on this to make any judgement, one way or another, but from what small amount I did read on that site, there seems to be some serious issues with those who are in the program. The problem I'm seeing with this is that many will abuse this program and ruin it for the those who really need it.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

All drugs should be legal. If it were we would be a far richer society. Prisons are one of Michigan's largest expenses and most criminals are in jail for illegal drug use. Prohibition does not work!

jeremy05

imported post

everyone seems to think if pot is legalized it will bring in money. From who? Who is going to buy it? IT GROWS ON A TREE!!!!!!! LITERALLY!!

Its not going to be worth 800 bucks a pound, what we value it at now. There would be so much pot around that it would drop in price drastically!

Michigander

imported post

Venator wrote:
All drugs should be legal. If it were we would be a far richer society. Prisons are one of Michigan's largest expenses and most criminals are in jail for illegal drug use. Prohibition does not work!
I've never been quiet about the fact that I think drugs of any type are a bad idea, but I agree.

Imagine if Michigan claimed 10th amendment sovereignty and declared drugs to be legal. This entire state could be revitalized, because as you pointed out the prisons would be much more empty, and plus, imagine Detroit becoming the place where the worlds finest drugs are produced on an industrial scale, then shipped around the world through canada or something.

Probably won't happen, but it's down right foolish that it doesn't. Our economic problems would be out like a light.

T Vance

imported post

Tobacco use (400,000 deaths a year) and alcoholconsumption (100,000deaths a year)cause more deaths than ALL illicit drug use (20,000 deaths a year). These numbers are a bit dated (2000), but I'm sure they are not that far off today.

T Vance

imported post

T Vance wrote:
Tobacco use (400,000 deaths a year) and alcoholconsumption (100,000deaths a year)cause more deaths than ALL illicit drug use (20,000 deaths a year). These numbers are a bit dated (2000), but I'm sure they are not that far off today.
Oh yeah, and firearms is at 35,000 deaths a year, which is still below motor vehicle, the flu, and poor diet!!!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

jeremy05 wrote:
everyone seems to think if pot is legalized it will bring in money. From who? Who is going to buy it? IT GROWS ON A TREE!!!!!!! LITERALLY!!

Its not going to be worth 800 bucks a pound, what we value it at now. There would be so much pot around that it would drop in price drastically!
I wasn't referring to money being made from drugs, I was talking about the savings in LE, prisons, courts, etc., associated with regulating drugs. And not to mention the violence of the illegal drug trade would be almost non-existent.

Although an industry would emerge from the production of good quality drugs. GNP would increase, people employed, taxes being payed, outlet stores all in all the free market working......imagine the liquor industry after prohibition.

And for the record I'm not an illegal drug user never was most likely never will be, but freedom is freedom and what we have in place is not working. We make choices and must take responsibility for our actions. Use drugs don't use drugs, but when you harm others with your drug use you must be responsible for that.

mikestilly

imported post

Freedom to get F'ed as you want? Theres a fundamental problem with the "legalize it". It doesnt make things better. Have you seen what Amsterdam looks like. The affect you get is you have a larger population of zombies who become numb to reality. First was alcohol, next pot, then what? Opium? Cocaine? X? The list never ends. There is no proof things get better from legalizing drugs.

My opinion of course.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

mikestilly wrote:
Freedom to get F'ed as you want? Theres a fundamental problem with the "legalize it". It doesnt make things better. Have you seen what Amsterdam looks like. The affect you get is you have a larger population of zombies who become numb to reality. First was alcohol, next pot, then what? Opium? Cocaine? X? The list never ends. There is no proof things get better from legalizing drugs.

My opinion of course.
are things getting better by having drugs be illegal?