• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry loaded magazines?

usaf0906

imported post

some states say that a loaded magazine is a critical component of the firearm, for purposes of concealment. Is this the case in Texas?

The reason I bring this up is one could have an OWB magazine pouch/holster with loaded magazines, and conceal carry the handgun. While this isnt the type of open carry that we want, it would allow you to show you are carrying, without showing it.

thoughts?

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I agree, and have been searching for an answer to this exact question! So far I have not found anything prohibiting this practice here in Texas, however, I have also not tried it yet, and I am not a lawyer...

If anybody has any decent reference or personal experience with this matter I would much like to hear it!

DocNTexas

imported post

cbackous wrote:
some states say that a loaded magazine is a critical component of the firearm, for purposes of concealment. Is this the case in Texas?

The reason I bring this up is one could have an OWB magazine pouch/holster with loaded magazines, and conceal carry the handgun. While this isnt the type of open carry that we want, it would allow you to show you are carrying, without showing it.

thoughts?

cbackous,

Texas law does not define handguns in that manner. Referring to Texas Penal CodeSec.46.01.DEFINITIONS:

(3)"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use. Firearm does not include a firearm that may have, as an integral part, a folding knife blade or other characteristics of weapons made illegal by this chapter and that is:

(A)an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899; or

(B)a replica of an antique or curio firearm manufactured before 1899, but only if the replica does not use rim fire or center fire ammunition.

and:

(5)"Handgun" means any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand.

Now, the sections of law making open carry illegal are PC46.02 and 46.03 (I will not post then here due to length, but you can read them here http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ ) both of which merely refer to carrying a handgun as defined above. Therefore, it does not matter under these statutes if the handgun is loaded or not.

Now, Texas lawis sort of strange in that it gives a direct and comprehensive violation under PC46.02 and 46.03 that include everyone, then it defines where these statutes are NOT applicable under a different subsection, PC46.15, which provides exemption forlaw enforcement officers, security officers, military personnel, those participating in hunting/sporting events,and so on, but there is noprovision for unloaded handguns/firearms here either.

So, if you were openly carrying a handgun, whether loaded or unloaded in Texas, it is illegal under these statutes. I feel this is especially true if you were carrying an unloaded handgun and had the means to load it at the ready, asI am sure you the officer wouldconsiderit the same as carrying aloaded handgun and the charge would most likely be upheld by the courts. I feel that even if one was caught with an unloaded firearm and no ammo on them that they could still be charged under these laws (and most likely would be) as they are written although they mightopt for thecharge of Disorderly Conduct in such a case.

If you have a CHL and carry openly with ammo at the ready I feel they would consider it a loaded handgun and file on you for failure to conceal under 46.035 and it would likely be upheld by the courts as well.

The only way you mightget away with open carryin Texas is to carry a pre-1899 handgun, which under Texas law is not considered a firearm by definition, thus, by law should not be considered illegal. However, most LEO are not that knowledgeable to the laws and I feel would file charges anyway and you would have todefend it in court. And there is still that Disorderly Conduct charge to fall back on which could be a bit harder to defend.

Now, the charge of Disorderly Conduct requires the action to be done with the intent to cause alarm, otherwise it is not a violation under this statute, therefore, it is somewhat situation dependant.I know several local authorities that have encountered people passing through town on foot whilecarryingloaded rifles and shotguns slung over their shoulders and have allowed them to continue because they were not carrying them or acting in a threatening mannerand simple open carry of these weapons is not illegal whether loaded or not. As for carrying them around town, I feel many officers would push the issue, however,two recent appeal courts have ruled that the mere presence of the weapon does not constitute a threat just because someone perceives it as such. Bothcourts ruled that a true threat by word or action must exist in order to be a violation and that the mere presence of the weapon and perception of a threat by a third party is not sufficient. So, I feel it is defensible but may actually require you to defend it. In other words, how important is it to you?

So, there you have my opinion on the subject.

Doc

Decoligny

imported post

cbackous wrote:

thoughts?

California is the only State stupid enough to consider this.

It is actually only a problem when the gun is exposed and the magazine is concealed. And it doesn't come into play unless you don't have a CCW.

So, If you have your unloaded gun legally on the front seat of the car, and have a full magazine in your pocket, you will be considered as having a concealed firearm.

Having a legally concealed firearm and exposed full magazinesdoesn't seem to be an issue.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Doc,
While that is very good information, and a very good summary of the law in this state regarding the carrying of a handgun, it did not in any way address the question at hand!

Deco:
Thanks for the clarification about how CALIFORNIA might look at this, however it is not pertinent here in Texas, if for no other reason than the fact that in order to carry a handgun in your vehicle, it MUST be concealed!

But thank you both for the information provided. :)

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I had the time to stop by my local gun store yesterday where one of the guys there actually teaches the CHL course, and for the most part they have all always seemed fairly knowledgeable, so I decided to present this question to them!

I walked in and there were two 'kids' (one of whom I've talked to before in there and has been helpful/knowledgeable in the past, the other I've never seen we'll call him kid1) behind the counter, a patron talking to the them (primarily the one I've dealt with before, we'll call him kid2) and a few other people and employees about the store and in the back...

Kid1 asks if he can help me and I inform him that I have an out of the ordinary question regarding CC. I tell them I am only interested in actual LEGALITY not opinion on if there was any law, case, ruling, etc that prohibited the open carrying of loaded magazines (presumably while concealed carrying a handgun...)

Kid1: No way you can do that, the gun must be concealed!
Kid2: (confused look on face) Why would you even want to? Why would you need extra mags? Just keep them concealed too if you feel you have to carry them...
Patron: Only one that actually understood the question, and seemed to acknowledge the reasons behind it!

ME: My reasons for why aren't important, I am simply curious about the legality. What YOU would or would not recommend/do is not the question. (towards Kid1) do you have any reference for that?
Patron: I hadn't thought of that before... Sounds like a good idea to me! I'm from Arizona and this whole must conceal thing kinda gets on my nerves...

K2: (actually thinking now, but still spouting 'anti'/scare the sheeple/you will be first shot/etc babble) realizes that he cannot think of ANY law/case/ruling/etc prohibiting my scenario!
He goes to the back to 'Ask the Big Guy' and comes back with the same: I asked 'Big Guy' and he says that he can't think of anything prohibiting it either! It should be perfectly legal to OC a loaded magazine weather or not you are CC a handgun! (although, he wouldn't recommend it...)

Then Patron asked if I had seen about the protester with the AR, and we discussed that for a while and
Kid1 says: You can't carry an AR-15 here!
ME: Why not?
K1: the law!
Me: What law? Please show me. There is no restriction on the carrying of long guns in the state of Texas!
K1: well, it can't be loaded! You can't have the magazine loaded and with you!
Me: repeat previous statement
K2: Actually, you can carry a loaded rifle around all you want in your truck... But if you were to try walking down the street (with loaded long gun) you'd get arrested as a threat...
Me: Why? Not if you have the gun slung over your shoulder! Disorderly conduct requires 'intent to alarm'!
K1: (pretty much has shut up at this point as he finally realizes that he has no clue about the actual laws!)
K2: Continues to try to convince me that all I've suggested are BAD ideas that will get me arrested and charged with something (possible, but nothing would stick, and I would then be able to sue the pants off the arresting officer(s) and their department...)
Patron: now has a smirk on his face presumably contemplating lots of possibilities! I hope to run into him again as I believe that he is a like minded individual, but I didn't really have the opportunity to continue the discussion with him individually as at this point the conversation pretty much died with K2 appearing slightly agitated at the audacity of my suggestions and new customers entering the store.

I always felt that that store was more open to the ideas (right!) of OC and the individuals gun rights in general! I was quite shocked at the reception that I, and my questions, received! But I was able to educate K1, and make K2 think of some possibilities, and potentially find another 'ally' in the area; so, all in all, I would say a decent turn out to my day!

Sorry for the LOOOOONG post, but I needed to rant a bit, and kinda needed to go 'script' style to get the story out properly... My 'script' is NOT word for word, it is summarized and none of the statements can be taken as exact quotes!

KBCraig

imported post

Gator, you certainly confirmed what most of us already know: that people who work in gun stores generally know almost nothing about gun laws. (And not much about guns either, but that's a different topic.)

DocNTexas

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Doc,
While that is very good information, and a very good summary of the law in this state regarding the carrying of a handgun, it did not in any way address the question at hand!

OK, I guess I misunderstood the actual question. I thought it was a matter of carrying an unloaded gun (my mistake). Based on your last post Itake it that the intent of the question was to find a way to legally let the public know you are carrying a gun.

In that respect, I must say that leather and magazines are not in themselves illegal to carry. The testquestion would be "If one were to carry loaded magazines would that be illegal? The answer is clearly" NO", this would not violate the law. In comparison, pose the same question to an unloaded firearm, the answer is "YES", this is a violation of Texas law. So, what about carrying a concealed handgun and clearly visible magazines? This is a bit tricky.

First off, it is clear and understood that we are talking about a person with a CHL because that is the only one who can legally carry a handgun in the first place. Now, the law does not stipulate that the magazines are integral to the handgun nor does it stipulate that all parts and accessories be concealed, merely the handgun. However, the requirement to conceal basically requires one to reasonably attempt to maintain concealment to the point that the ordinary observer would not recognize it as a handgun. I would say that clearly exhibiting magazines would be like wearing a sign that says "I carry a concealed handgun". This would make it reasonably clear to the casual observer that the bulge under your jacket was a handgun. While a sign is not illegal to wear and neither are magazines, I feel the law would find that they served to alert the public that you were carrying a handgun and thereby violate the requirement to maintain concealment.

In this case, it is not a loophole because the intent of the law requiring concealment is the key. The same is true in reverse as protection from accidentally failing to maintain concealment. The law says one must intentionally fail to conceal to be a violation. This means that as long as reasonable measures are take toconceal, any accidental exposure is not a violation. I regularly carry in my waste band under a Tee shirt and it clearly shows a bulge, however, although those who carry probably know or at least highly suspect it is a handgun, the common observer cannot and it is legal. I also use a jacket and side rig in cooler weather and when reaching for items on the top shelf or my wallet it is partially exposed to the point of recognition but it is not intentional thus legal.

Just my thoughts.

Doc

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Thanks Doc! You definitely got the topic down now! I definitely see your logic! And that is basically what I was asking, however I would like to see some actual case law, or legislative cite, or AG opinion... (actually, I probably don't want to see the AG opinion, but alas...) Would wearing a T-Shirt promoting carry (of any sort) constitute 'failure to conceal' based on the fact that a casual observer could guess that you are possibly carrying? How about having a conversation in a public place about carry/CHL/etc... A casual passerby could easily overhear the conversation and come to the conclusion that some if not all of the members are carrying. Could that be considered failure to conceal?

I think that 'failure to conceal' and 'notification of carry' could very well be 2 completely different animals!

Technicality, maybe, but also a possibility!

I like this discussion, very very good info and well based opinions so far!:celebrate

DocNTexas

imported post

Gator5713 wrote:
Thanks Doc! You definitely got the topic down now! I definitely see your logic! And that is basically what I was asking, however I would like to see some actual case law, or legislative cite, or AG opinion... (actually, I probably don't want to see the AG opinion, but alas...) Would wearing a T-Shirt promoting carry (of any sort) constitute 'failure to conceal' based on the fact that a casual observer could guess that you are possibly carrying? How about having a conversation in a public place about carry/CHL/etc... A casual passerby could easily overhear the conversation and come to the conclusion that some if not all of the members are carrying. Could that be considered failure to conceal?

I think that 'failure to conceal' and 'notification of carry' could very well be 2 completely different animals!

Technicality, maybe, but also a possibility!

I like this discussion, very very good info and well based opinions so far!:celebrate

I totally agree it is gray area when considering shirts, private conversation in public places and so on. I would say wearing a shirt that has a pro carry statement would be less of a problem unless the bulge was very apparent. It could be held that the bulge was intentionally large to indicate the presence of what the shirt promotes. On the other hand, if well concealed then the shirt could hardly be considered as a statement of your actions at the moment.

I see it as having to consider the overall picture. Since "gray areas" are subject to judicial interpretation it usually takes a preponderance of evidence in favor of intent to convict. In other words, you can usually offset a bold statement with mild actions and vice-versa. So, if you wear a pro-carry shirt, make sure you conceal well. And if you are lightly concealed, don't use a Pro-carry shirt to do it.

As for discussions, there is nothing that says you cannot disclose to a friend that you carry or have a CHL. The provision of concealment tends to be directed at the general public at large that might be alarmed by it, not those who know you and are not alarmed by it. If you are overheard the question would be are you openly broadcasting the point or were you merely overheard having a passive discussion with a second party.

I actually put little effort into concealing my sidearm. I do not flaunt it byany means but a 1911 or Sig 229 under a tee shirt or light jacket shows a definite bulge. To date I have never had a problem. At the same time, I have a habit of covering my weapon with my arm, mainlyto protect and secure it but it serves toobscure it from view as well.

I do not know of any case history that would be relevant here but based on how the courts tend to analyze these things that is how I see it going.

Again, just my thoughts.

Doc

usaf0906

imported post

After reading through the posts i think Doc has hit the nail on the head. Very much a gray area that will require a court ruling to test the waters.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

cbackous wrote:
After reading through the posts i think Doc has hit the nail on the head. Very much a gray area that will require a court ruling to test the waters.
I very much agree as well! Of course, I seriously doubt that without a 'MWAG' call of some sort that the issue would really ever come up... And I also doubt that without extraneous circumstances that it would make it to trial if you were to become of 'interest' to officers. Of course, I'm still not sure that I'm ready to be the test dummy, just not that much cash for a good set of attorneys on hand...:banghead: (That and I don't currently have a CHL!)

CommonMan101

imported post

I think Gator's experience with the kids is a fine example of people thinking the laws (and assumptions about those laws) that they grew up with are what MUST beright. The out-of-stater was able to see things as what they could be because he was used to less restrictions in the first place. I see this from all states - those from New York and New Jersey have shown a propensity for "reasonable" (abhorible to me) gun restrictionsand the like all the while convinced they are for gun rights. "However we have it is the way it should be" syndrome. I think Vermont is the only one that can really say that.

This thread has me wanting to openly wear an empty holsterand loaded spare mags on the other side - with no gun on me or in my car. I wonder what would happen if they stop me. Would I still have the right to refuse a search or would I be considered to be disturbing the public? Actions by me being the same as any normal shopping at the store - just an empty holster and filledmags. Yet it would seem reasonable to me, if I were a cop, to want to know what the deal is - it's not like eveyone does that! Would he be able to do anything about it even if you let him search and he found no weapon and you identify yourself, etc. ? Plausible scenario - If I were doing guard duty on my property and left my gun with my wife and dashed to the store like this.

Any TX lawers around here have an idea? Any TX officer's aroundhave experience with this?

Would be nice to do as part of a protest/demonstration as one or many!

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

CommonMan101 wrote:
I think Gator's experience with the kids is a fine example of people thinking the laws (and assumptions about those laws) that they grew up with are what MUST beright. The out-of-stater was able to see things as what they could be because he was used to less restrictions in the first place. I see this from all states - those from New York and New Jersey have shown a propensity for "reasonable" (abhorible to me) gun restrictionsand the like all the while convinced they are for gun rights. "However we have it is the way it should be" syndrome. I think Vermont is the only one that can really say that.

This thread has me wanting to openly wear an empty holsterand loaded spare mags on the other side - with no gun on me or in my car. I wonder what would happen if they stop me. Would I still have the right to refuse a search or would I be considered to be disturbing the public? Actions by me being the same as any normal shopping at the store - just an empty holster and filledmags. Yet it would seem reasonable to me, if I were a cop, to want to know what the deal is - it's not like eveyone does that! Would he be able to do anything about it even if you let him search and he found no weapon and you identify yourself, etc. ? Plausible scenario - If I were doing guard duty on my property and left my gun with my wife and dashed to the store like this.

Any TX lawers around here have an idea? Any TX officer's aroundhave experience with this?

Would be nice to do as part of a protest/demonstration as one or many!
I think that testing these waters as a group would likely be the best way to handle it and could likely get us some (good) publicity for our cause! Another reason that I'm not necessarily ready to test these waters solo (with empty holster, Magazines, and NO gun) is the fact that i don't like the idea of being un-armed, especially when I am putting forth an 'armed display'!
I am a fairly 'self confident' individual, weather armed or not; and tend to get that 'warm fuzzy feeling' when I see evidence that someone else around me is carrying as I know that the area I am in is a safer place! I do not like the idea of reaching to my holster and finding it empty! That would be like driving halfway across the country just to realize that you forgot your load! (I'm a trucker...) only worse, as this scenario could cost me (and others) my life! The known presence of a gun could deter a criminal 'incident', however the observed 'absence' of a weapon where one should be...? Not so sure about...

I'm not sure if I accurately described my hesitation, and I'm not sure that I really have a good reason for it (other than money for defense...), but I'm sure that you get the idea...

mustangkiller

imported post

I have OCed my empty holster and full mags many times in front of officers. As a matter of fact I have OCed in full camo a few times in front of officers. Each one has eyeballed my hip and only one said anything. That officer simply asked if i was head out in to the field or on my way back. Quite a few times while I was OCing an empty holster I was wearing my street clothes and left my weapon in the truck. Again, not once did the officer even look twice. Last year I was traveling and OCed on my sportbike. I was pulled over for a busted tail light and he lightly questioned me about why I had my weapon out like that. I refered him to 46.02 and his excact words were "Well, I'll be damned. Ok sir pull over at the truck stop down the road and get a new bulb. Have a nice day."

This should answer that portion of the discussion.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

Unfortunately the officer that pulled you over on your bike very well may be the exception and not the rule! At least for incorporated areas... As has been mentioned many times on this and other forums, some parts of Texas are more lenient than others... Most of rural Texas still follows 'Good ol boy' rules where 'incorporated' Texas (and surrounding vicinity) convicts you on the spot and lets you try to prove your innocence later...

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mustangkiller wrote:
I have OCed my empty holster and full mags many times in front of officers. As a matter of fact I have OCed in full camo a few times in front of officers. Each one has eyeballed my hip and only one said anything. That officer simply asked if i was head out in to the field or on my way back. Quite a few times while I was OCing an empty holster I was wearing my street clothes and left my weapon in the truck. Again, not once did the officer even look twice. Last year I was traveling and OCed on my sportbike. I was pulled over for a busted tail light and he lightly questioned me about why I had my weapon out like that. I refered him to 46.02 and his excact words were "Well, I'll be damned. Ok sir pull over at the truck stop down the road and get a new bulb. Have a nice day."

please explain what you mean by referring him to 46.02. what is it that you see that negates the prohibition on open carry.

mustangkiller

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
mustangkiller wrote:

please explain what you mean by referring him to 46.02. what is it that you see that negates the prohibition on open carry.

I appologize it may not be 46.02 exactly. However, once you get past the BS about security gaurds and such there is a section that says 46.02 does not apply to a person who is traveling. I was heading from my house to Houston. I was pulled over near Beasley Tx. Once I reached Houston I passed a few LEO's and they payed me no mind. In all honesty though, I don't think they noticed.

(and your right, the statute is 46.15) sorry

I'll post a link:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm#46.02

Text of subsection as reenacted by Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 647, Sec. 1

(b)Section 46.02 does not apply to a person who:

(1)is in the actual discharge of official duties as a member of the armed forces or state military forces as defined by Section 431.001, Government Code, or as a guard employed by a penal institution;

(2)is on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control unless the person is an employee or agent of the owner of the premises and the person's primary responsibility is to act in the capacity of a security guard to protect persons or property, in which event the person must comply with Subdivision (5);

(3) is traveling;

(4)is engaging in lawful hunting, fishing, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the actor's residence, if the weapon is a type commonly used in the activity;