• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in Milwaukee County Parks & City of Greenfield

Constitutionalist

imported post

So the state statutes say we can carry anywhere with the exception of school zones, places that serve booze, public buildings, etc.

Then state statute 66.0409(2) says no county, city, or town may pass a law that restricts our rights even further.

BUT Milwaukee County has an ordinance that states we cannot carry in county parks. And the city of Greenfield is in the process of adopting an ordinance worded the same, but also adds "parkways, nature areas" etc.

Am I right on these statements? I am asking because I am going to start writing the appropriate politicians, and (J Gleason will be happy to hear) I particularly want to hear what Scott Walker has to say about this county ordinance.

Looking ahead, if needed, I think a lawsuit could be done relatively cheap. The materials facts (the statutes and ordinances) would not be in dispute, and the case would probably be settled by summary judgment. That is pretty much where we lay out our side in briefs, they lay out their side, and the judge decides. We wouldn't have to have the expensive parts of a lawsuit (discovery, depositions, etc.).

Thoughts?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

No jurisdiction is charged with enforcing the law against the interests of the State or its political subdivisions. A criminal charge must be made by a citizen to a state attorney who enjoys discretion. Standing must be obtained to make a civil complaint.

I-ANAL and no one has ever had these thoughts before. Best Wishes.

Constitutionalist

imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
No jurisdiction is charged with enforcing the law against the interests of the State or its political subdivisions. A criminal charge must be made by a citizen to a state attorney who enjoys discretion. Standing must be obtained to make a civil complaint.

I-ANAL and no one has ever had these thoughts before. Best Wishes.
Doug, I in no way believe I am the first one to have these thoughts. I just want to be informed before confronting the pols.

I thought of the issue of standing as well. Does one actually have to be charged with the crime in order to have standing? Would the fact that "Plaintiff is an adult resident of Milwaukee County who would lawfully open carry a firearm in Milwaukee County Parks if not for the county ordinance...." suffice to provide standing?

protias

imported post

The only thing is, if you are in the park and need to use the bathroom, what do you do?

BJA

Campaign Veteran

Constitutionalist

imported post

Thanks for the info and thanks for the link to the other thread BJA, learned a lot.

The thing that sucks about Walker is he will do as all politicians and save his political behind by staying as far away from the subject as possible. It sucks, but is understandable, can you see the commercials Barrett would run? "Scott Walker voted to allow guns in schools and parks, keep our children safe and vote for me, I have pushed for SENSIBLE gun legislation which respects peoples 2nd amendment rights while protecting our kids."