• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lexington OC Picnic video

mellio

imported post

Just wondering what anyone thinks about how this video compares to the guy in TN with the AK pistol slung on his back in a public park? Is this an expressoin of freedom? Is it his legal right that needs to be done to show that it's legal? Even thought legal is it a good idea? Does it bring the masses closer to our side or alienate them further?

Just trying to get aidea of how people in this area feel about this type of carry.

My views are mixed. I think open carry should be legal. I think that most people probably think that open carring any gun in a public park isnot legal. I think that it's probably better to let them justthink that way.If you show this video to most people in KY I would think they wouldnot want this to be legal and that it could plant the seed to start a movement to get this type of activity banned. I know there is not muchdifference in carrying an AR or any other type of firearm. They are only capable of what the person carring them make them do, but most people will not want to take there children to a park where people are walking around with these type of rifles on there shoulders.

We (legal gun owners) allwant the right to carry our guns for defense against others who may harm us. The mainthreat I think most of us want to defend ourselves from is another person with a gun that wants to do us or our family harm. By doing this we admit that a man with a gun CAN be a danger, so for us think that the people visiting the park should not be concerned by a man walking around with an AR is sort of silly. The carrying of a holstered handgun will still not be acceptable to some but will be tollerated much more than an AR type of weapon openly carried.

We know that the Constitution (KY and US ) is on our side but we also know that they can beamended if enough people want them too.

mellio

imported post

Wow, about 45 views since my post and no opinions on this! It's a pretty hot topic on other forums. I had my flame suit on and everything. Come on people. Do you agree with me or disagree ? Let's discuss.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

When trying to make a positive influence on public opinion, there is always a fine line. Up to that line, you are still pulling people in the direction of the right to keep and bear arms. Past that line, you are pushing more people away from the RKBA. The trick is not finding that neutral line. We don't want to be near that line that distinguishes between helping and hurting the RKBA. We want to be operating at the point of maximizing public support for the RKBA, which is well away from the neutral line.

In hindsight, the AR was probably too much for the stated purpose of positively influencing local public opinion, but it did also serve to encourage others around the country to push for more firearms freedom, and that's a good thing. It was a bit outrageous and I think it served to encourage local RKBA activism as well... sort of a morale building exercise. It also served as the extreme example. If we're hassled for future open carry of handguns, we can point to a rifle being openly carried legally in Jacobson Park as an example of how a handgun openly carried should not be a problem.

While the AR probably wasn't maximizing public support for the RKBA, Kentucky is a very firearms friendly state and I do not believe we reached that neutral line, beyond which we would have been doing more harm than good. I know there were a few people who had irrational concerns about the guy with a rifle, although none of them approached us with any comments or questions despite our friendly and inviting signs and demeanor. However, four people thanked me for what we were doing or otherwise expressed positive sentiments for that open carry picnic. We may not have maximized local support of gun rights that day, but I believe it was a net win for our side.

We will continue to have open carry events in Lexington, including more open carry picnics at Jacobson. I hope many of the folks on OCDO will join us. I'd discourage evil black rifles in the future, but hey, it's a free country and carrying an AR-15 in the park is legal.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no comparison to the situation with the AK-47 pistol in Tennessee. That guy painted the tip of the muzzle bright orange to fool people, including law enforcement agents, into believing it was an airsoft toy and not a real firearm. He had previously stated that his intent in doing so was to slow the reaction time, presumably to gain a tactical advantage. He went on about 15 gun boards telling his delusional tale of how he was illegally detained, conveniently omitting the very relevant facts that A) he disguised a lethal weapon as a toy, and B) he's a total whack job psycho (IMO). I was initially sympathetic to his story when he posted to a gun forum that I moderate, but something didn't smell right. I researched his story in the Tennessee forum at OCDO (just a little south of this forum:D ) and learned the rest of the story, including the link to the Tennessee gun forum where there were about 50 pages in the thread about their favorite nutjob being at it again. The guy clearly has issues, and a contentious history with the Tennessee RKBA community.

Disclaimer: I made and posted the Lexington OC picnic video being discussed.

langzaiguy

imported post

While it may be socially, or arguably, tactically excessive--carrying an AR or even a full auto is not legally or constitutionally excessive.

Liberty4Ever

imported post

Maybe someone has a pink Hello Kitty AR-15 we can use next time, you know, so we don't scare anybody.

Won't somebody puhleeeeeeze think of the children?