• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Centennial Trail (Snohomish)

n16ht5

imported post

Yesterday my wife and I rode our bikes on the trail from Snohomish north. On the way there were a few signs, and they had a no guns logo on them. I don't  see how they have the right to do that? I carried anyway, but it made me frustrated to see that.

amlevin

imported post

It's just part of the same old story. Park Rules were written long before "Preemption" and they just keep posting the same old rules. Doesn't really matter because the "No Firearms" portion is unenforceable provided the carrier doesn't discharge his firearm or violate RCW 9.40.271. The County Parks Department will continue to put this "no firearms" logo on the signs until the County Attorney tells them to cease. Even then the signs will remain up until they are unreadable.

With all the budget crises around the State, I doubt anyone will go to any great effort or spend any money to erase these unenforceable warnings any time soon.

Fudster

imported post

What bothers me about this sign, and the many others that say no guns are allowed, is that when some people see us OCing, they think we are breaking the law and therefore must be bad guys. That could result in a confrontation as they might decide to try and subdue and make a citizen's arrest. Not only are these signs an injustice to us but could lead to assault charges for the subdueers thinking they are doing the right thing to protect everyone else. I don't know about others but I don't like the idea of someone trying to subdue me. When I see these signs I almost feel like I'm being defamed by the local gov't. I've spoken with the LEOs around me about this and they know the prohibition against possession is unenforceable and I know most of the local gov'ts know this too. I just wish they would fix them to avoid possible problems between the public and us.

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NavyLT wrote:
[align=left][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]It is a clear violation of state preemption and you are perfectly legal to ignore the shall not possess any firearm part. Does anyone know if a letter has been sent to Snohomish County yet?[/align][/font][/font]

I have spoken with Councilman Kosters Legislative Aide. She claims they are working on it, but being the lone republican on the council makes it difficult, so he must have all his ducks in a row first. County Lawyers are supposivly working on it.

jbone

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/20339.html

Been working it. Here is my latest, 21 Sept 2009 inquiry response.

"Asked the attorneys last week …they said they are still working on it…."

Nothing is changing, same ole story. Isuspect there are no layers involved, and the councilmen is playing election politics with our freedoms, caring not that state law is being violated.

n16ht5

imported post

thanks for the effort jbone. maybe if more of us push them around...

jbone

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
thanks for the effort jbone. maybe if more of us push them around...
You’re welcome. Although we need some helpfrom those on the forum who know how to work the local politicians. They certainly have taken the Congressman and Senators stance on not listening to those they serve.

I agree! Snohomish County needs to hear from more folks. All: Write or call your District Councilmember and let them know this issue has been procrastinated on far too long.

Is it time this found a place in the media, great story with County elections next month?

hydrochloride

imported post

The Federal Way dog park and a lot of the Fife parks have the same signs. I have called to report the signs as being incorrect and have even left my name and number. Of course I have not received a response, and I continue to carry. It would only take a rookie cop to start up a law suit. It makes no sense at all.

jbone

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
have yourself a OCDO BBQ and rally in the park, invite the media and the cops. did that here in kitsap co and the signs got updated very fastly.;)
Wish I would have set that up before it turned cold.

Trigger Dr

imported post

Yep, it took a year and a second picnic but it did get done.

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
have yourself a OCDO BBQ and rally in the park, invite the media and the cops. did that here in kitsap co and the signs got updated very fastly.;)

jbone

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
oooh yeah. who's in for a.. few.. picnics??? :lol:
I say Kayak Point in Stanwood, this is where I firststarted my inqurieswith Snohomish County. April 6th 2009 is when I posted the below statement froma Kayak point Ranger.

"Being curios I called park rangers at Kayak Point and with out reservation the Ranger stated his job was to enforce park rules, I sensed no remorse that he was violating state law or the rights of citizens. He viewed those exercising a right as showboating, flashing their fancy gun trying to prove a point. He clearly stated that if they saw or someone reported MWAG they would order the person to leave, if refusal they would inform the individual(s) they were calling the Sheriff and they could challenge the park rule in court"

n16ht5

imported post

jbone wrote:
n16ht5 wrote:
I say Kayak Point in Stanwood,  this is where I first started my inquries with Snohomish County.  April 6th 2009 is when I posted the below statement from a Kayak point Ranger.

"Being curios I called park rangers at Kayak Point and with out reservation the Ranger stated his job was to enforce park rules, I sensed no remorse that he was violating state law or the rights of citizens.  He viewed those exercising a right as showboating, flashing their fancy gun trying to prove a point. He clearly stated that if they saw or someone reported MWAG they would order the person to leave, if refusal they would inform the individual(s) they were calling the Sheriff and they could challenge the park rule in court"

awesome. Let's go tomorrow! (Saturday). Are you in? 425 320 8973

Chris

jbone

imported post

n16ht5 wrote:
jbone wrote:
n16ht5 wrote:
I say Kayak Point in Stanwood, this is where I firststarted my inqurieswith Snohomish County. April 6th 2009 is when I posted the below statement froma Kayak point Ranger.

"Being curios I called park rangers at Kayak Point and with out reservation the Ranger stated his job was to enforce park rules, I sensed no remorse that he was violating state law or the rights of citizens. He viewed those exercising a right as showboating, flashing their fancy gun trying to prove a point. He clearly stated that if they saw or someone reported MWAG they would order the person to leave, if refusal they would inform the individual(s) they were calling the Sheriff and they could challenge the park rule in court"

awesome. Let's go tomorrow! (Saturday). Are you in? 425 320 8973

Chris
I read you're planninga picnic in seattle tomorrow?

n16ht5

imported post

I was planning on doing two in one day, but it sounds like no one wants to go to Seattle on saturday, so Kayak point will be it. I work weekends, except for tomorrow, so that day is it for me.

jbone

imported post

My next day off isn't until next thursday, and I get to spend it at the doctors.

n16ht5

imported post

OK. well when would you want to go? I have a lot of weekdays off

jbone

imported post

With me it's pretty much hit or miss, I get my shedule with about a week advance notice, and days off are never the same. The best I cpulddo is if someone started a thread for an event would be hope that it fell on a day off. I wish I would have done a picnic after I retired from the Military, while I had plenty offree time.