Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Richmond's new baseball team - We need your help!

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

Richmond has finally gotten a new baseball team and the team is holding a "name the team" contest. The 5 names they chose are absolutely idiotic and have no ties to Richmond. There is a huge public outcry over the names chosen, like Hambones and Flatheads.
    I submitted the name Richmond Artillery and the name is catching on amongst alot of people. It is a name that has huge ties to Richmond's history. There is one opportunity left - CNBC has gotten involved and is taking suggestions for a wild card name.They will then select from the 6 names.Please take a moment and email "Richmond Artillery" as your choice of baseball team names to sportsbiz@cnbc.com. Names must be submitted by 9pm tonight. Send an email from every email address that you have! Send this to everyone you know!

Thanks!

Jim
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3913977

Good grief... the five candidates now are: Flatheads, Flying Squirrels, Hambones, Rhinos, and Rock Hoppers.

Are there morons in charge?

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

Good grief... the five candidates now are: Flatheads, Flying Squirrels, Hambones, Rhinos, and Rock Hoppers.

TFred
    Yep, Artillery sounds pretty good now eh?
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

There are plenty of "rock hoppers" in Richmond I'm sure... depending on how you want to interpret the name...

Post imported post

Done.

And whatever happened to the Richmond Braves? I never knew they left.

Post imported post

I didn't know the Braves left town, either. I remember going to Met Park and watching them play the Tidewater Tides!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    My idea (quite similar to yours Jim) was "The Richmond Siege"

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    Done.

And whatever happened to the Richmond Braves? I never knew they left.
    I'm not a Richmonder, so I'll let someone else fill in the details, but from what I read, it was Doug Wilder's fault.

TFred

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred
    I like Artillery.

I don't like that it would make Grapeshot happy.

But I like the name.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Thanks for the support guys!

I hope that Artillery makes the wild card spot.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    Richmond has finally gotten a new baseball team and the team is holding a "name the team" contest. The 5 names they chose are absolutely idiotic and have no ties to Richmond. There is a huge public outcry over the names chosen, like Hambones and Flatheads.
    I submitted the name Richmond Artillery and the name is catching on amongst alot of people. It is a name that has huge ties to Richmond's history. There is one opportunity left - CNBC has gotten involved and is taking suggestions for a wild card name.They will then select from the 6 names.Please take a moment and email "Richmond Artillery" as your choice of baseball team names to sportsbiz@cnbc.com. Names must be submitted by 9pm tonight. Send an email from every email address that you have! Send this to everyone you know!

Thanks!

Jim
    If Artillery wins, will Grapeshot be the mascot?
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

I don't mean to scoop ProShooter, but the article has been published, and, well, sadly it appears that just like the team management, anyone who has any responsibility for actually naming this team or providing the names from which to choose... is a complete moron.

Darren Rovell, the journalist behind the effort for CNBC came up with a "top ten" which were almost universally stupid, and then decided to submit as his 6th choice, a name that had only one entry...

The Richmond Hush Puppies.

It disgusts me to read what is undoubtedly the most important reason that a really great name such as Artillery never had a snowball's chance:

When we considered what name we would submit, we had to take into account the local community, the mascot possibilities and political correctness.
    In hindsight, it should have been plainly obvious that an organization such as CNBC would never touch a military/firearm related name with a 10 foot pole.

No matter which one finally wins, they've ensured it will be the laughingstock of visiting baseball teams for years to come.

What a sad, sad day for baseball.

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    I don't mean to scoop ProShooter, but the article has been published, and, well, sadly it appears that just like the team management, anyone who has any responsibility for actually naming this team or providing the names from which to choose... is a complete moron.

Darren Rovell, the journalist behind the effort for CNBC came up with a "top ten" which were almost universally stupid, and then decided to submit as his 6th choice, a name that had only one entry...

It disgusts me to read what is undoubtedly the most important reason that a really great name such as Artillery never had a snowball's chance:

When we considered what name we would submit, we had to take into account the local community, the mascot possibilities and political correctness.
    In hindsight, it should have been plainly obvious that an organization such as CNBC would never touch a military/firearm related name with a 10 foot pole.

No matter which one finally wins, they've ensured it will be the laughingstock of visiting baseball teams for years to come.

TFred

My internet was down all morning........I finally heard "hush puppies"........@#$%^ hush puppies.

I am beside myself.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    I am beside myself.
    That must be one heck of a firearms conversation then. What happens when you disagree with yourself? :P

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    I am beside myself.
    That must be one heck of a firearms conversation then. What happens when you disagree with yourself? :P
    I always walk away a winner.
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

TFred wrote:

When we considered what name we would submit, we had to take into account the local community, the mascot possibilities and political correctness
    I guess the Richmond African Americanes never had a chance then.

Or the Richmond Militia.

Post imported post

Sure would have been fun to OC to an Artillery game!

Only Daniel Boone would bring a gun to seeSquirrels!
    James Reynolds

Glock Certified Armorer

Post imported post

ProShooter wrote:
    TFred wrote:

TFred

My internet was down all morning........I finally heard "hush puppies"........@#$%^ hush puppies.

I am beside myself.
    Well maybe we can have an OC event at a game (with mouths gagged!!). They might get the message!? Ya never know! :?

Post imported post

"Artillery" was on the ballot for my local independent minor league team. I like the winning name a lot better, though.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    "Artillery" was on the ballot for my local independent minor league team. I like the winning name a lot better, though.
    Me too!

^5:celebrate
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

Can't have another Braves team. The injuns would sue!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    ProShooter wrote:
    I like Artillery.

I don't like that it would make Grapeshot happy.

But I like the name.
    I had to abstain - not vote - its all about ethics.

It is a superior name to that which I expect the team will receive.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

KBCraig wrote:
    OMG. I bet that name made at least onegun grabber S#!@ their pants.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

And now we have a sixth entry - a wild card "Hush Puppies"

Hope they are house broken.

These chosen contest names do not inspire confidence in the teams management to make good decisions.

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Well if its the Rhinos you can always show support for your local anti-gun Republican while watching the game.

To me though, they will always be the Braves. When I attend I will only wear my Braves gear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast