• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond's new baseball team - We need your help!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Citizen wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Yep, Artillery sounds pretty good now eh?

I like Artillery.

I don't like that it would make Grapeshot happy. :)

But I like the name.
I had to abstain - not vote - its all about ethics. :)

It is a superior name to that which I expect the team will receive.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

And now we have a sixth entry - a wild card "Hush Puppies"

Hope they are house broken. :)

These chosen contest names do not inspire confidence in the teams management to make good decisions. :(

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

Well if its the Rhinos you can always show support for your local anti-gun Republican while watching the game.

To me though, they will always be the Braves. When I attend I will only wear my Braves gear.

vt357

imported post

Cracker wrote:
Didn't the team really suck before they ended it?
Sadly no they were really good. They won the league title the year before they left and were in the running for it the last year. Pretty sad when a team wins the championship and nobody from the city goes to watch. Not that I have any room to speak, I only went to 2 games in the past 5 years.

Since all the options are just plain stupid, I say in for a penny - in for a pound, go Hambones!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

My suggestion - The Richmond Artillery. When an Artilleryman hits a homer, they fire off a cannon.

CNBC's suggestion - The Richmond Hush Puppies. When a Hush Puppy hits a homer, they drop a ball of dough into the deep fryer, it sizzles, and the cash register goes "ka-ching".......

makes perfect sense....how could I have missed it....marketing genius!

Cracker

imported post

Man, i thought they were no good and they ended up the Champs!!?? I might have to go see a couple of games if they can get a good team together...

I'm with ProShooter on the name, I like the Richmond Artillery... It will probably never fly though.

Repeater

imported post

[align=center]Richmond Hush Puppies
[/align]
Suggest the mascot be a bullpup with a silencer.

That would look nicely intimidating...

p90tac2.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repeater wrote:
[align=center]Richmond Hush Puppies
[/align]
Suggest the mascot be a bullpup with a silencer.

That would look nicely intimidating...

p90tac2.jpg
Rotate 90 degrees to front and illuminate the red dot.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Richmond Hush Puppies
As comfortable and Sweaty as an Old Shoe

Yata hey

va_tazdad

imported post

I don't hold much hope. I have seen the VP of the team give 3 interviews and he seems top be the type to actually think the Hush Puppies is a good idea. Must be a good buddy of "Wonderful" Doug Wilder.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
The "Hush Puppy" I know was used by Seals in Vietnam...
Designed as a semi-automatic anti-viral (Pb) vaccine injector system - in doses of 40g at low velocity. Recommended injection point is intracranial as intramuscular is slow in providing adequate protection.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
vt357 wrote:
Just heard that "Hambones" is out b/c that's racist. :quirky

Yep, they removed it from consideration.

Now we need to get them to choose Artillery as its replacement.
Buy 2 season tickets - that would give you a majority vote. :lol:

Yata hey

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

replied to the article; here is my email:

I am usually very polite, even when I voice adamant disagreement with someone. Today, however, I doubt I will be so cordial. The choice of "Richmond Hush Puppies" for our capital city's baseball team is by far the most idiotic choice of a name that I have EVER heard for a baseball team. The following are links to webpages detailing some of the more interesting sports mascots, but I am hard-pressed to find even one mascot that has as little appeal as a hush-puppy.

http://www.universitylanguage.com/blog/02/best-college-mascots/
http://www.bofads.com/stories/collegemascots.htm

It's a food. It can't even fight. In a contest between a hush puppy and mold... the mold wins. Honestly, with all the entries, what the heck were you guys thinking? "The Richmond Artillery" was one entry... now THAT would have been great. It's historical, has great mascot possibilities (a live artillery piece at the games), is certainly kid friendly, and could hardly be construed as in any way politically incorrect. On a scale from one to ten, for the choice of "Richmond Hush-Puppies," I award you "FAIL." In conclusion, better luck next time.

Embarrassed for Richmond and slowly losing my faith in humanity,

Jason Hill