• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Richmond's new baseball team - We need your help!

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Richmond has finally gotten a new baseball team and the team is holding a "name the team" contest. The 5 names they chose are absolutely idiotic and have no ties to Richmond. There is a huge public outcry over the names chosen, like Hambones and Flatheads.
I submitted the name Richmond Artillery and the name is catching on amongst alot of people. It is a name that has huge ties to Richmond's history. There is one opportunity left - CNBC has gotten involved and is taking suggestions for a wild card name.They will then select from the 6 names.Please take a moment and email "Richmond Artillery" as your choice of baseball team names to sportsbiz@cnbc.com. Names must be submitted by 9pm tonight. Send an email from every email address that you have! Send this to everyone you know!

Thanks!

Jim

curtiswr

imported post

There are plenty of "rock hoppers" in Richmond I'm sure... depending on how you want to interpret the name... :uhoh:

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Thundar

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Richmond has finally gotten a new baseball team and the team is holding a "name the team" contest. The 5 names they chose are absolutely idiotic and have no ties to Richmond. There is a huge public outcry over the names chosen, like Hambones and Flatheads.
I submitted the name Richmond Artillery and the name is catching on amongst alot of people. It is a name that has huge ties to Richmond's history. There is one opportunity left - CNBC has gotten involved and is taking suggestions for a wild card name.They will then select from the 6 names.Please take a moment and email "Richmond Artillery" as your choice of baseball team names to sportsbiz@cnbc.com. Names must be submitted by 9pm tonight. Send an email from every email address that you have! Send this to everyone you know!

Thanks!

Jim
If Artillery wins, will Grapeshot be the mascot?

TFred

imported post

I don't mean to scoop ProShooter, but the article has been published, and, well, sadly it appears that just like the team management, anyone who has any responsibility for actually naming this team or providing the names from which to choose... is a complete moron.

Darren Rovell, the journalist behind the effort for CNBC came up with a "top ten" which were almost universally stupid, and then decided to submit as his 6th choice, a name that had only one entry...

The Richmond Hush Puppies.

It disgusts me to read what is undoubtedly the most important reason that a really great name such as Artillery never had a snowball's chance:

When we considered what name we would submit, we had to take into account the local community, the mascot possibilities and political correctness.
In hindsight, it should have been plainly obvious that an organization such as CNBC would never touch a military/firearm related name with a 10 foot pole.

No matter which one finally wins, they've ensured it will be the laughingstock of visiting baseball teams for years to come.

What a sad, sad day for baseball.

TFred

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

TFred wrote:
I don't mean to scoop ProShooter, but the article has been published, and, well, sadly it appears that just like the team management, anyone who has any responsibility for actually naming this team or providing the names from which to choose... is a complete moron.

Darren Rovell, the journalist behind the effort for CNBC came up with a "top ten" which were almost universally stupid, and then decided to submit as his 6th choice, a name that had only one entry...

It disgusts me to read what is undoubtedly the most important reason that a really great name such as Artillery never had a snowball's chance:

When we considered what name we would submit, we had to take into account the local community, the mascot possibilities and political correctness.
In hindsight, it should have been plainly obvious that an organization such as CNBC would never touch a military/firearm related name with a 10 foot pole.

No matter which one finally wins, they've ensured it will be the laughingstock of visiting baseball teams for years to come.

TFred

My internet was down all morning........I finally heard "hush puppies"........@#$%^ hush puppies.

I am beside myself.

Repeater

imported post

TFred wrote:

When we considered what name we would submit, we had to take into account the local community, the mascot possibilities and political correctness
I guess the Richmond Negroes never had a chance then.

Or the Richmond Militia.

Infidel

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

My internet was down all morning........I finally heard "hush puppies"........@#$%^ hush puppies.

I am beside myself.
Well maybe we can have an OC event at a game (with mouths gagged!!). They might get the message!? Ya never know! :?