• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Adoption denied by state because of guns

TFED12

imported post

My wife and I are trying to get certified for adoption by the state of NC. We have completed all of the required classes and passed our home safety inspections with the exception of one thing: The person that signs off on our certification will not sign our certificate unless my wife and I agree not to carry our firearms open or concealedduring the 6 month required foster of the child we are trying to adopt. We have gun safes and child locks for the guns that we are not carrying at the time.

Now, I take this as the state denying my right to carry. And, to add to the frustration, we are both Law Enforcement Officers. Carry is what we do. On and off duty.

I am in the process of looking for an attorney and was wondering if anyone has used an attorney in the Raleigh area for firearms related rights violations. Or, could this be a federal issue?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

glock30

imported post

A punch in the face sounds reasonable but I'd ask them if they'd like to keep their job. I'm sure that state agency would frown on an employee that made them the subject of a high profile lawsuit.

mekender

imported post

Because of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004, this might be a federal issue.

Beau

imported post

That is ridiculous. Regardless of the fact that you are LE. It's still ridiculous.

Sounds to me like a state employee trying to enforce personal views using their position of power.

I would start by making phone calls to the persons supervisor. Take it upwards from there.

I understand wanting to make sure the child is in a safe environment. But why attempt to limit the use of a tool that can ensure the child's safety.

Are you allowed to drive the child around for the first six months?

How about a pool? Does that need drained for the first six months?

:cuss:

Dreamer

imported post

I would ask your Commander if he will write her agencie (preferably her supervisor) a letter that 1) gives you two glowing recommendations, and 2) explains to them in No UNCERTAIN TERMS that it is your job to carry--on and off duty--and this person who did the evaluation is essentially requiring you to violate the terms of your duties as LEO's. Have him throw in some references to State and Federal statutes regarding LE Safety Act and the like.

You should also hire a lawyer, and have him draw up a letter of a similar nature and send it to her supervisor on his firm's letterhead. ASAP. Sometimes, a law firm letterhead is all it takes to get these bureaucrats to back down from their irrational demands.

Sometimes, you have to "play the paper game" to get the point across. Adn sometimes, that just means a game of "officially stamped one-upmanship"...

BTW, I am adopted (adopted as an infant), so I want to applaud you for trying to adopt a child. Adoptive parents are a very special kind of people, and I'm sure you will be wonderful parents. On behalf of other adopted kids, I want to thank you and praise you for doing this. My parents did a great job with me--I mean look at me, my record is squeaky clean enough that I can get a CHP! ;)

TFED12

imported post

Thanks Dreamer.

I have contacted the "Administrator" of the agency that oversees the adoption certificatons. I expressed my concerned to her and told her that I will be following up with my attorney...which I did find one that says I have a "slam dunk" discrimination and constitutional violation suit. I will keep all posted on the status of this. The administrator said she will "Look into the matter". I gave her my attorney's number and told her she can report any of her "findings" to him.

Regards.

mekender

imported post

TFED12 wrote:
Thanks Dreamer.

I have contacted the "Administrator" of the agency that oversees the adoption certificatons. I expressed my concerned to her and told her that I will be following up with my attorney...which I did find one that says I have a "slam dunk" discrimination and constitutional violation suit. I will keep all posted on the status of this. The administrator said she will "Look into the matter". I gave her my attorney's number and told her she can report any of her "findings" to him.

Regards.
while you are at it, toss in a demand for incorporation of the second amendment as an indivuidal right :D

TFED12

imported post

mekender wrote:
TFED12 wrote:
Thanks Dreamer.

Regards.
while you are at it, toss in a demand for incorporation of the second amendment as an indivuidal right :D
Absolutely!

mekender

imported post

Until the last 2 months, the ACLU site still claimed that the 2nd amendment was a collective militia right. They wont help a bit.

ocgso

imported post

Any new status on this? I find it absurd that these employees are getting to use their job status to enforce personal beliefs.

I just hope you don't approach this from such an angle that it makes it ok since you two are LEO, but if someone like myself and my wife were to adopt it would still be an issue.

I hope this has all resolved and wish you the best of luck.

TFED12

imported post

Thanks for asking. We had our attorney send a letter refering to state and federal laws on discrimination and constitutional violation issues. Situation has been resolved...and without any LEO persuasion. Our adoption should be final soon.

Dreamer

imported post

TFED12,

Congrats on getting this adoption issue resolved! What a great New Years present!!!

Again, I'd like to say, on behalf of other adopted children, that you and your wife are VERY special people, and I'm sure that you will provide a safe, loving, and educational environment for your new child. Thank you...

My father had guns in the house from the day he and my mom were married, and it didn't matter one bit to the adoption agency--but that was back in 1965, and times were a LOT different back then. Having guns in the house growing up didn't make me turn into a thug, criminal, or psycho--in fact, I'm a responsible citizen, with a squeaky clean record, a college education, and I'm currently pursuing my Masters Degree...

Good luck as new parents, and thanks for sharing this important (if at times, frustrating) process with the forum.