• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Rock Co. Beloit, Wi Open Carry

gunguy2009

imported post

I just got off the phone with a SGT with the Beloit Police Dept. I asked him about Open Carry in Beloit. He told me that they have had ZERO Problems with it in Beloit. You are NOT allowed to Carry within 1000ft of a School, In a bar, or Gov't Offices. One of my biggest concerns was with Disorderly Conduct. I know they are not suppose to Issue them, but some cops try. He said the only way you will get one is if you cause a scene by yelling, screaming, arguing, being an Ass, Ect... Other than that, one will not be Issued. I was told by a Marquette Co. Sheriff that if you are in a Business and the Owner asks you to put your firearm in your vehicle, and you refuse, that can legally bringa Disordery Conduct, because you can cost him and his business money by people not Coming/Staying... Like the disclaimer says on this site, Dont take my word for it and go do it, Call yourself and ask and get the info. I dont want to be responsible for anyone getting a fine. I know my Info is correct because of the source I got it from, But you know how things go, and how some people are... Good Luck!!!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Welcome to the forum,

A few additions/corrections to you statements may helpclarify a few things to new readers/members.

If asked to leave a business, and you refuse. Trespassing is most likely the charge you will be cited with. Disorderly is something entirely different, and is usually used as a catchall, but caselaw has made some clear brightline points that must be met to be convicted of the charge

Asking the police about the law is not always the best idea, some may be truthful like in your case, (rare)and some may justlie to you to forward their personal beliefs, and some just do not know the law that they are entrusted to enforce.

I hope to see some future postings from you, I do not know of any other members in that area

gunguy2009

imported post

I contacted Walmart in Beloit today and asked if he had recieved a memo saying that Open Carry is Legal in Wi. He said he hasn't seen anything, but may have missed it.I gave him the name of the more than helpful officer I spoke to and I believe he was going to conact him. But I told him It IS legal and to expect people OC'ing in the store, I am one of them going to be... He seemed polite about and thanked me for informing him. He didnt seem against it or angry in any way, so hopefully we will have no troubles with Walmart in Beloit. I will give it a few days, contact him again, and then Carry and let you all know how it went...

comp45acp

imported post

Please, please don't get into a asking permission type of thing. Open carry is lawful border to border except where it isn't. It is lawful at Walmart so carry with confidence, dress neat and act normal. I understand your apprehension, we have all been there, but as you gain experience this will pass.

gunguy2009

imported post

I Carried in the Beloit Walmart tonight, All went very well. Had a few wierd looks though. All went good until the end. They asked me if I was a Law enforcement Officer, and asked a few other questions, but they all knew Wisconsin has an Open Carry Law and were very nice about the situation. They just said they had alot of people go up and say "There is a guy with a gun!" lol. So they had to ask me about it. But all in all, it went good. It was a good experience. Was quite nervous for my first time Carrying though, haha.

AaronS

imported post

Yea, that first time shopping was fun. I was sure I would be asked to "get the hell out", but to date, it has not happened to me. I also agree that you should not ask if it is okay. I am very sure that if any place has an issue, you would be the first to know about it.

Well, anyway, congrats on your first store carry. It took me a few before I felt okay about it.

smithman

imported post

comp45acp wrote:
Please, please don't get into a asking permission type of thing. Open carry is lawful border to border except where it isn't. It is lawful at Walmart so carry with confidence, dress neat and act normal. I understand your apprehension, we have all been there, but as you gain experience this will pass.
Thanks comp and I want to reiterate this. NEVER NEVER ask permission to carry, ANYWHERE it is legal. It is only an opportunity for someone to tell you no and stop you from defending yourself. Don't ever give people an opportunity to stop you from exercising your rights.

M

McX

imported post

I heard a rumor that Open Carry was encouraged at Mechanix LTD. in Racine

ROOK_WI

imported post

I stopped in there once to ask some automotive questions, nice place.

I did see open carry signage on premises & will go there again when the need arises.

gunguy2009

imported post

After I carried in Walmart last week, Asst. Managers were to get ahold of me to tell me the Decision of the District Manager whether he and his store will be "Gun Friendly" or not. Well, I spoke with them today, and they ARE! After many phone calls, I finally got what I didn't think we were going to get. Approval for OC in the Walmart in beloit. I know some walmarts do allow it, but alot don't. And this being Beloit, I didn't think we had a chance of him saying Yes. I thought full well it was gonna be a "Hell No!". I will be carrying EVERYTIME I go to Walmart here. I feel like its a Victory for me. haha

SAK

imported post

That's fantastic news! Good to see that surprisingly even a big store like Wal-Mart can be friendly! Far too many stores think that it's unsafe (uh-huh, right...). Obviously it's more unsafe to NOT open carry. An unfriendly wal-mart could always be reminded of: http://www.ohioccw.org/200508263269/wal-mart-gun-policy-saves-new-mexico-womans-life.html

Happened in new Mexico where the perp was repeatedly stabbing his ex-wife who worked there. 72-yr old guy saved her life. The attempted-murderer died and the world was better off with one bad guy down and one good person's life saved!

As far as other stores not allowing it. Remember that there are no signage law requirements in Wisconsin. So if a store prohibits it, and you are unaware or otherwise not 100% certain they prohibit it (that would be tough to prove!), there are no standards for the store to inform you.

while IANAL, it would seem very reasonable to me that without standards, a disorderly conduct charge because a private place doesn't "like" it would absolutely NOT stick. The establishment would have to ask the open-carrier to leave, and only in refusing to leave could he be charged with disorderly or more likely and more fitting trespassing.

Something to keep in mind. Don't let mere rumors or conjecture keep you from open carrying. Don't let law enforcement attempt to enforce the whims of private property owners. They can ask you to leave or ask you not to carry next time, with which you can and should comply.

This is another example of possible legal abuse that the Gun Owners Fellowship would stand up for.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gunguy2009 wrote:
After I carried in Walmart last week, Asst. Managers were to get ahold of me to tell me the Decision of the District Manager whether he and his store will be "Gun Friendly" or not. Well, I spoke with them today, and they ARE! After many phone calls, I finally got what I didn't think we were going to get. Approval for OC in the Walmart in beloit. I know some walmarts do allow it, but alot don't. And this being Beloit, I didn't think we had a chance of him saying Yes. I thought full well it was gonna be a "Hell No!". I will be carrying EVERYTIME I go to Walmart here. I feel like its a Victory for me. haha

You got EXACTLY what I would have expected. Open Carry is ACCEPTED in ALL WAL-Marts without exception! I have the number to the regional manager, and I have nailed him a couple time now. They don't want us picketing their stores.

Load up, and carry on!

kawisixer01

imported post

I live in Janesville so I'm kinda in the roundabout area. I know the guy that managed the Beloit store for awhile and if it's still the same guy he's an avid hunter and firearms enthusiast so it doesn't surprise me you had no problems. :)

gunguy2009

imported post

Thats Good, I have carried a couple more times in the Beloit Walmart and spoke with a few employees and havent had a porblem what so ever.So, seems like all the b.s. is over with.

gunguy2009

imported post

Hey Everyone, Just wanna say that the Woman in my life is Pregnant with our Second Child, We just found out today. So my Lil Miss Haylie is gonna be a Big Sister!!! We are very Excited...