• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chesterfield County Schools mandate Driver's license scan for visitors

Repeater

imported post

It's bad enough that anyone visiting a school while carrying will be arrested (of course, Commonwealth's Attorneys get a free pass).

But now, in Chesterfield County, the public school system has gone further by prohibiting, in effect, "sterile carry" -- you are required to have a driver's license with you when visiting Chesterfield County Public Schools, and you are required to submit that license to be scanned unto a centralized computer system, which will then be cross-referenced with various databases to see if you are some kind of criminal perhaps.

From Schools Today:

The way visitors sign in at schools is changing to allow schools to electronically register guests, monitor volunteer hours and help with the release of students. The new process, which was piloted at Hopkins Elementary, will be in place in every school before the end of the school year. The visitor check-in system and other measures help ensure the safety of students and staff members, which is one of the top goals of Chesterfield schools.

Visitors who plan an extended stay at a school will be asked to show a driver’s license, which will be scanned into a computer. Only the visitor’s name, photo and date of birth will be stored in the computer. No other personal information will be collected. The process automatically screens for registered sex offenders and others not allowed on school grounds. Visitors who do not present a driver’s license will not be allowed access to the school.

From the Chesterfield Observer:

County schools get new security checks

Having worked in law enforcement before becoming head of security for Chesterfield County Public Schools (CCPS), Tim Mallory isn't content to sit back and wait for problems to arise before taking action. "Preventive measures are the best measures in the security business," said Mallory, a former Norfolk police officer.

That's the main reason why CCPS is upgrading security at all county schools with a two-tiered plan designed to give administrators greater ability to control public-access to their buildings.

The school district's new visitor-management system, which debuted successfully as a pilot program at Hopkins Elementary School in May, is expected to be installed and operational in all county schools by the end of the 2009-10 school year.

In conjunction with that project and the installation of security cameras at main entrances, Chesterfield elementary schools also will receive new video intercom systems.

"It's kind of like going to the airport. You don't just jump on a plane, you go through checks and processes," Mallory added. "It's another layer of security that we can put in our schools."

Paid for by federal grant funding obtained by the Chesterfield County Police Department, the Web-based visitor-management system will require all first-time visitors seeking access beyond a school's main office to have either their driver's license or identification card scanned into a computer. That information will then be automatically cross-referenced against the National Sex Offender Registry.

If approved, visitors must print out a badge containing their name, picture, the date and time and where they're going within the particular school building. On subsequent visits, anyone whose ID has already been scanned into the system will only need to sign in at a second computer kiosk located in the main office, then print off a visitors' badge.

"This is going to be used for people who are going beyond the main office, to visit a classroom, to go have lunch, to participate in a class activity," Mallory said.

"Schools are semi-public places. We still have to invite you in, but now we know you're coming in versus somebody who can just come in and end up in another part of the building," he said. "You should hit the office within a minute [after being buzzed in]; if not, we know you're walking around the building."

Mallory noted that similar public-information efforts will be undertaken once CCPS determines which schools have the necessary infrastructure to be part of the visitor-management system's initial deployment.

"We want people in our schools, but we need to be able to manage that. I think it's important to know the number of people coming in, and who's coming in, especially around our children," he added. "It will take a little getting used to from some folks, but I think most people in the general public will be pleased that we're taking these measures."

==========

In summary:

Carry a gun onto school grounds, and you will be arrested;

Fail or refuse to carry a driver's license, and you will be banned from school grounds.

Going state-wide?

Is this in the spirit of Virginia's Government Data Collection and Dissemination Practices Act?

B. The General Assembly finds that:

1. An individual's privacy is directly affected by the extensive collection, maintenance, use and dissemination of personal information;

2. The increasing use of computers and sophisticated information technology has greatly magnified the harm that can occur from these practices;

3. An individual's opportunities to secure employment, insurance, credit, and his right to due process, and other legal protections are endangered by the misuse of certain of these personal information systems; and

4. In order to preserve the rights guaranteed a citizen in a free society, legislation is necessary to establish procedures to govern information systems containing records on individuals.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It may violate the VA FOIA, 2.2-3700 and following. The law is clear that government is open. I am applyingherethe idea that one may want to visit the school to viewrecords in person as permitted under the VA FOIA.

It may also be a violation of the three ID cases: Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, and Hiibel v 6th Judicial District Ct.

Repeater

imported post

Citizen wrote:
It may violate the VA FOIA, 2.2-3700 and following. The law is clear that government is open. I am applyingherethe idea that one may want to visit the school to viewrecords in person as permitted under the VA FOIA.

It may also be a violation of the three ID cases: Brown v Texas, Kolender v Lawson, and Hiibel v 6th Judicial District Ct.
Interesting.

Further, there does not appear to be authority under the Chesterfield County Municipal Code.

And it seems the Board of Supervisors never discussed the matter before implementation.

PT111

imported post

Fail or refuse to carry a driver's license, and you will be banned from school grounds.

Where did it say that? I didn't see anything in what you posted that said you couldn't be on the school grounds without a DL.

Xeni

imported post

A fellow VCDL'r got the FOIA laws changed to force schools to be more compliant with a FOIA request for the drivers license data maintained in the PWCS version of this (called RAPTOR). Still the school board/system fights every lawsuit he has filed and he's lost them only on technicalities (including not giving enough notice..which is the very law he had the GA clarify].

I've been rejected on my 8 FOIA requests to get to those records.

http://www2.insidenova.com/isn/news/local/article/board_to_mull_legislative_priorities/44698/is a local story covering the school board mulling options. Last year they spent $50K on a person to lobby for changing the laws to be less favorable to the citizen and to exclude the records they're holding.

BTW, for those curious, they used reasons like; students of those working in DHS, DEA and FBI attend our schools and we have to protect those identities, giving up the information could expose illegal aliens, and giving up the records could expose schools to terrorism.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Xeni wrote:
BTW, for those curious, they used reasons like; students of those working in DHS, DEA and FBI attend our schools and we have to protect those identities, giving up the information could expose illegal aliens, and giving up the records could expose schools to terrorism.
Translation: Giving up the records might show things that once corrected will cause us to lose some funding.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Xeni wrote:
LOL... They told me to pound sand in an 8 page letter.

But, did they cite the statutes or Code sections that authorized them to withhold the records?

From the VA FOIA, 2.2-3700B 1 and 2:

B1: The requested records are being entirely withheld...Such response shall identify with reasonable particularity the volume and subject matter of withheld records, and cite, as to each category of withheld records, the specific Code section that authorizes the withholding of the records. (emphasis added)

B2: The requested records are being provided in part and are being withheld in part...Such response shall identify with reasonable particularity the subject matter of withheld portions, and cite, as to each category of withheld records, the specific Code section that authorizes the withholding of the records. When a portion of a requested record is withheld, the public body may delete or excise only that portion of the record to which an exemption applies and shall release the remainder of the record. (emphasis added)

In other words, they have to name the exact section of Code that exempts that record or category of records. Also, read the code carefully, there are other things they must do.

And, go and look up their cited statutory exemption for yourself. Did they use the exemptions properly?

It is my experience that government agencies fail to entirely comply with the FOIA way too often. They fail to cite, or they fail to specify the volume of the withheld records,or they...So, you have to go over the material they send carefully.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+2.2-3704

mobeewan

imported post

I thought it was illegal under Virginia state law to make a copyof a drivers license. Wouldn't that include scanning it into a database.I saved the info on my home computer, but it is infected with worms and spyware and I haven't had a chance to get it debugged yet.

Thundar

imported post

They tried to use this in Chesapeake as well.

I never fed the machine.

I was denied entrance for my son's IEP meeting, so I filed a complaint with the state Dept of Education.

They were unhappy campers.

DocDaddy

imported post

Repeater wrote:
From the Chesterfield Observer:

County schools get new security checks

Having worked in law enforcement before becoming head of security for Chesterfield County Public Schools (CCPS), Tim Mallory isn't content to sit back and wait for problems to arise before taking action. "Preventive measures are the best measures in the security business," said Mallory, a former Norfolk police officer.
That explains a lot! Sorry, couldn't pass that up! Had to get my morning laugh!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

How does this make anyone safer??? You can't stop a mad man (well you can with a bullet) bent on destruction from acting out their plans. And even if they do sign in they can still act. And most registered sex offenders are not going to sign in.

How does a registered sex offender that has kids at the school get access to their kid and their functions. Not all sex offenders are child molesters.

Riana

imported post

I thought it somewhat silly that the office at my son's school has to buzz me into the building when I go to volunteer. I actually like that I can sign in on the computer to have it record my volunteer hours. But scanning myID? Checking criminal databases? WTF?

Have they really had such a security problem down there that such overkill is needed?

Repeater

imported post

PT111 wrote:

Where did it say that? I didn't see anything in what you posted that said you couldn't be on the school grounds without a DL.
It's from the 'Schools Today' insert:

"Visitors who do not present a driver’s license will not be allowed access to the school."

Repeater

imported post

mobeewan wrote:
I thought it was illegal under Virginia state law to make a copyof a drivers license. Wouldn't that include scanning it into a database.I saved the info on my home computer, but it is infected with worms and spyware and I haven't had a chance to get it debugged yet.
According to the article, it seems the scanning saves a permanent copy. How else to interpret this:

On subsequent visits, anyone whose ID has already been scanned into the system will only need to sign in at a second computer kiosk located in the main office, then print off a visitors' badge.

I also thought that was illegal under Virginia state law.

A while back, Mike published this:

Virginia Driver’s License Photocopy Prohibition

However, I don't know if that applies to this.