• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Two for two... ugh.

malignity

imported post

I'm sure a few of you remember about 8 months ago when I posted an encounter where myself and TheSzerdi were kicked out of the Double Action of Madison Heights gun store for open carrying. We both vowed we'd never return to the store, because they 'claimed' that their policy stated that OC wasn't allowed there, however there was nothing in the policy about open carry at all.

We decided today to head to the range together once again, this time going to Target Sports in Royal Oak. TheSzerdi was unable to conceal his firearm due to his illegal confiscation of his CPL by the DPD, so he OC'd.

We were informed upon arrival that OC is not welcome there, and that next time, we are to conceal our firearms or be asked to leave. A DPD Cop was also there, and began to inform us that 'just yesterday' he saw someone get hit in the face who was OCing, and saw his gun get stolen (what a load of @#$%). He then began to argue with us that even though it is not written in the law that you must conceal with a CPL, that in the APPLICATION to get your CPL, that it states that your firearm must be concealed. We attempted to educate this officer, and even mentioned that CPL applications vary from county to county, but to no avail.

Now this is what gets me.

In both Double Action AND Target Sports, ALL OF THEIR EMPLOYEES OPEN CARRY; however, patrons are not allowed to.

I honestly don't have a gun store anymore that I can go to that is only a hop, skip and a jump away, if I don't go to one of these stores, however, I refuse to give my business to such ignorant idiots. I'm at a loss what to do here guys...

Michigander

imported post

There are a few awesome gun stores here, but most in this area simply suck. I've said it many times, how I miss the spectacularly cool Arizona gun shops and ranges.

Prices are high, and rapid fire and OC are not allowed at most places. This is why I shoot at the Pit, and shop online and at Cabelas and Jays rather than go to local shops. They piss me off.

jeremy05

imported post

Any Pro Open carry Gun stores in Michigan? I know I didnt have a problem with it up at Top Gun. I havent been there in awhile, but I know Dougs been in there a few times OC.

Souk

imported post

There is another indoor range not far from Double action. I've never been there but I hear good things about their facilities.

Hunts with Double Indoor

Here is the website
http://www.huntswithdouble.com/

I don't see anything on their site about restricting open carry, but you can contact them to be sure.

Their located on the north side of 23 mile just west of Schoenherr

Best of Luck!

eastmeyers

imported post

Two for this area partner, neither can you shoot at but you can shop. Wesleys at 9 mile and Ryan in Warren, and Midwest Ordinance on off of main, north of 11 mile.

cabman1

imported post

malignity wrote:
I'm sure a few of you remember about 8 months ago when I posted an encounter where myself and TheSzerdi were kicked out of the Double Action of Madison Heights gun store for open carrying. We both vowed we'd never return to the store, because they 'claimed' that their policy stated that OC wasn't allowed there, however there was nothing in the policy about open carry at all.

We decided today to head to the range together once again, this time going to Target Sports in Royal Oak. TheSzerdi was unable to conceal his firearm due to his illegal confiscation of his CPL by the DPD, so he OC'd.

We were informed upon arrival that OC is not welcome there, and that next time, we are to conceal our firearms or be asked to leave. A DPD Cop was also there, and began to inform us that 'just yesterday' he saw someone get hit in the face who was OCing, and saw his gun get stolen (what a load of @#$%). He then began to argue with us that even though it is not written in the law that you must conceal with a CPL, that in the APPLICATION to get your CPL, that it states that your firearm must be concealed. We attempted to educate this officer, and even mentioned that CPL applications vary from county to county, but to no avail. 

Now this is what gets me.

In both Double Action AND Target Sports, ALL OF THEIR EMPLOYEES OPEN CARRY; however, patrons are not allowed to.

I honestly don't have a gun store anymore that I can go to that is only a hop, skip and a jump away, if I don't go to one of these stores, however, I refuse to give my business to such ignorant idiots. I'm at a loss what to do here guys...
tell them you think its bullchit that they wont let you oc

mikestilly

imported post

I live within walking distance from Double Action and really all their guns are over priced anyways. I use them transfers and I normally make use of their range and window shop. I was very suprised to hear they dont allow people to OC even though all the employees OC. What kinda double standard hypocritical crap is that. Any other ranges CLOSE to double action? It's not like their range is cheap. I do recommend their CPL class there btw even though the guy is anti-OC. I pretty much sat an ignored his BS comments on open carry but the class was very worth every penny.

FatboyCykes

imported post

I've carried in there OC a few times since my first incident, mainly to test the waters and window shop, a few looks, but no real comments. A few, two or three times maybe, didn't have any questions so I was in and out in about 5-10, but again, nothing said, I was kind of happy about it, but I guess they can continue to bite my bag. I'll continue to OC until there is a sign, or they threaten trespass charges.

malignity

imported post

At Double Action, the one that had a cow was the female with the glasses and short hair (little less than shoulder length, dark.) Beware the evil bitch. :lol:

Again though, I know Jays changed their company policy to allow OC, and if it worked, I would really like to get my hands on that letter. No one has a copy? Does anyone at least know who sent it?

PDinDetroit

imported post

malignity wrote:
At Double Action, the one that had a cow was the female with the glasses and short hair (little less than shoulder length, dark.) Beware the evil bitch. :lol:

Again though, I know Jays changed their company policy to allow OC, and if it worked, I would really like to get my hands on that letter. No one has a copy? Does anyone at least know who sent it?
I have been working on Double Action little by slowly. They know I OC (just not there) and that I am not a "yahoo" (for the most part anyways). The next time I go there, I will be talking with the owner to discuss OC (he knows me by first name now). My understanding is that they had a "bad experience" at one point and stopped allowing OC after that. Gun Stores get a lot of idiots in to look at guns who cannot follow the simple "point that gun in a safe direction".

I go there out of convenience and CC, as it is close to the house and they charge me less sometimes for range time as I bring others there to shoot quite a bit (for their first time). I wish the Lapeer Gravel Pit was closer and I had more time as up and back burns 2 hours without even shooting time. I would love to see someone re-open the old Sam's Club on 14 Mile, East of John R as an indoor Gun Club (you could probably have an indoor 100 yard range.)

mikestilly

imported post

PDinDetroit wrote:
malignity wrote:

I have been working on Double Action little by slowly.  They know I OC (just not there) and that I am not a "yahoo" (for the most part anyways).  The next time I go there, I will be talking with the owner to discuss OC (he knows me by first name now).  My understanding is that they had a "bad experience" at one point and stopped allowing OC after that.  Gun Stores get a lot of idiots in to look at guns who cannot follow the simple "point that gun in a safe direction".

I go there out of convenience and CC, as it is close to the house and they charge me less sometimes for range time as I bring others there to shoot quite a bit (for their first time).  I wish the Lapeer Gravel Pit was closer and I had more time as up and back burns 2 hours without even shooting time.  I would love to see someone re-open the old Sam's Club on 14 Mile, East of John R as an indoor Gun Club (you could probably have an indoor 100 yard range.)

A bad experience can happen OC'ing, concealing or even looking at one of their cased pistols or rifles. Banning all people from OC'ing is a pretty lame response. They will still continue to have idiots of all types still come in the store that can do the same thing.

They always have treated me nice in there but I've never OC'ed in there. Dont double tap a shot or even shoot at a semi-rapid pace in the range or they will run out to you an tell you to stop. I've also heard from several people they dont allow any Russian type weapons to be used in their range such as AK's, etc.