• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody Carry An N-Frame?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

I've got several S&W N-frames in various calibers but have never carried one. I'm not interested in carrying the longer barrelled (6", 6.5", 8 3/8").

I just picked up a nice used610, 4" (3 7/8"), round butt, that might just be the right model for me to carry on occasion. I could carry a reload in a moonclip but those are not too stowable, IMO.

So, I'm wondering. Who carries an N-frame? What kind of holster, reloader(s)? Whichmodel, barrel length, caliber?

OC or CC, what's been your experience?

Don Barnett

imported post

Why not? I don't have an N-Frame to carry, but I believe that it could be comfortably carried in a "high-ride" holster. I would prefer a 4" barrel or less...too long and it is like drawing a sword. Personally, I think a large handgun has an advantage over a small one for this reason:

1.IF youare in a situationwhichrequires"clearing leather", the last thing you want to have to do is pull the trigger.

2. The bigger the gun, the bigger the "ALL SH _ T"factor comes into play, causing the perpetrator to flee. The smaller the gun, the less chance this will happen.

3. IF you have to pull the trigger, then the next to the last thing you want to do is: "MISS".

This is just a theory of mine...I'm sure experts will say it is wrong; but an N-Frame would be perfect.

I carry an L-Frame 686 and can carry it all day long with no problems. A slightly larger N-Frame should not be that much more burdensome. Also, with a loose shirt or jacket, I believe that it could be easily concealed.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

I've been carrying a 327 for awhile. Recently I have carrying a 6" 29-3.

I open carry mostly, but it is easy to conceal the 327.

hammerspurcut2.jpg

JBURGII

imported post

I carry a 4"K frame .38 and love it.. it doesn't drag my pants down like my old small block .45 did. I would think a shoulder rig would be a good idea for an N frame though or maybe I've seen one too many Dirty Harry movies...

Rev. Jim

.45acp

imported post

I carry (OC) a 3" 629 when I don't carry a 1911. I love big bore revolvers for carry. Nothing speaks with authority like 240 grs, at 1050 fps. I use a Galaco leather and 2 speed loaders. A short bbl N frame is easy to OC and conceal with a little wardrobe thought toward concealment.

When I change out carry pieces, I’ll carry it for several weeks, and shoot it twice a week for around 250 rounds a week. My 629 is a superb shooting pistol for a 3” bbl.

Steve

Japle

imported post

I carried a 4" M-29 Smith .44 Maggie in an OWB holster complete with 2 speedloaders under a Hawaiian shirt for a few weeks just for fun. The thing stuck out a mile. Felt like half a steel grapefruit hung on my belt. At 5'9" and 150 lbs, it was obvious as hell. No one noticed a thing.

M29wstopredbackground.jpg

Don Barnett

imported post

I you have a heavy side arm and it feels like a "boat anchor" perhaps your belt is too "wimpy". Go to a Law Enforcement Supply store and pick up a heavy duty Galco belt. It makes all the difference.

Don Barnett

imported post

I CANNOT buy any more firearms (at least not without adversely affecting my conscience); but if I could, I would buy a Smith and Wesson 625 in 4" barrel and/or a Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag with a 5 1/2 " barrel. Both would be excellent carry guns.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

hankt said:
Very nice, kwikrnu.

8 shot.

Any quick reload?
[/quote]

It uses moonclips so reloading isn't too bad. Although with 8holes and the cylinder being titanium it is not as fast as something with 6 holes and steel (like 610's or 325's)

The key to concealing isusinga holster that draws the gun as close the the body as possible. Most of the time this is uncomfortable. The 29 is hard to conceal even if trying for me.

smith29-2withholster1.jpg

conceal29magnum.jpg

The 327 is easy, but depends upon the holster. The smithholster is good, but an uncle mikes paddle is bad because it makes the gun stick out too far.

revolvertuneup.jpg

Dreamer

imported post

I used to occasionally CC a Taurus 689 with a 4" barrel in a Bianchi shoulder rig (X-2100 Phantom).

But that Taurus is a K-frame, not an N frame. Close in size, and in this rig, it was comfy and relatively easy to conceal. It's a vertical shoulder rig, so the barrel points down, meaning you aren't constantly "covering" everyone behind you, which is one of the main reasons I like it.

cREbralFIX

imported post

I like to CC an N-Frame on occasion...either a S&W M27 (3.5" barrel, 8x357, Tyler T-Grip) or a 625 (4" barrel, Ahrends grips).

I make my own holsters and gear. Moonclips are somewhat difficult to deal with. I have found that stowing moonclips in a cargo pocket with one on the belt is the most convenient way to go.

revo1-worn-waist-front.jpg

CF_1_moonclip_rs.jpg

Here's a rough moonclip holder for the belt. It works pretty well.

nframemuzzle.jpg

625 in combo appendix/strong side holster

01010129.jpg

A strong-side only holster with wing to prevent the holster from falling back

01010130.jpg

S&W Model 625 (45 ACP, 4" barrel) in strong side holster

muzzleSS.jpg

S&W M27 in strong side holster. One loop at back to maintain forward cant.

frontAIWB2.jpg

Holster in split loop configuration

topSS.jpg

newGoodiesRuger.jpg

Various ammo holders

45otherside.jpg

spdldr38side.jpg

top.jpg

Double IWB 8x357 moonclip holder. It's not comfy with a gun carried IWB, but is fine when the gun is in a pancake holster.

The following are the holders I use in pockets for moonclips. They keep the cartridges from getting dinged up. The bullet tips and sides of the cartridge don't get dented anymore. It's very fast to use. I usually carry two or three on the strong side cargo pocket. It works really well with moonclips for 45 ACP.

simpleHolder1.jpg

simpleHolder2.jpg

simpleHolder4.jpg

simpleHolder5.jpg

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I normally carry a double stack .45, I have carried both an S&W 629 3" and more recently an S&W Model .500 4". Either of these can be more or less concealed if necessary. As others have pointed out the key is to use a holster that hold the weapon tight to the body. Pancake style holsters are good as are IWB styles. Obviously a lose flowing sport shirt is also useful, so is a rather "Fluffy" body type.

Regards

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
While I normally carry a double stack .45, I have carried both an S&W 629 3" and more recently an S&W Model .500 4". Either of these can be more or less concealed if necessary. As others have pointed out the key is to use a holster that hold the weapon tight to the body. Pancake style holsters are good as are IWB styles. Obviously a lose flowing sport shirt is also useful, so is a rather "Fluffy" body type.

What kind of belt you using to hold up that 500, Hawk?

And what kind of holster?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Galco Makes the holster and any 1 1/2-1 3/4" belt works just fine. The easiest carry is cross draw, but normal strong side high carry is good too. The holster from Galco can be carried both ways.

twoclones

imported post

HankT wrote:
What kind of belt you using to hold up that 500, Hawk?

And what kind of holster?

I also want to know... I love shooting my .500 - 4" and do carry it when working anywhere I imagine a Grizzly might appear but have never tried to conceal it.