• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody Carry An N-Frame?

twoclones

imported post

I carry my .327 TRR8 when working in Nevada, Arizona or any other cougar habitat. Asa result, I occasionally open carry it into gas stations and motel lobbys. It's not as comfortable as my 642 but the weight of this N-frame scandium revolver is quite managable. Even without my CT grips this is one of the best shooting weapons I own.

trr8-nekkid.jpg

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

twoclones wrote:
HankT wrote:
What kind of belt you using to hold up that 500, Hawk?

And what kind of holster?

I also want to know...   I love shooting my .500 - 4" and do carry it when working anywhere I imagine a Grizzly might appear but have never tried to conceal it.

Well I make my own belts. 1 3/4" 9 oz oak tanned leather sometimes I tool them but most are just a plain leather strap with a buckle. The guy in the pics below is using a 511 belt and I know a lot of people like them.

After testing a lot of holsters and even making some, I have settled on the Galco holsters. They make a few nice pancake styles that hold the firearm right where it needs to be. I have used some of their IWB holsters as well, but these days I find the pancake style more comfortable.

Interestingly with the .500 the Galco holster is not a pancake style,
DAOSTRON.jpg

but it can be worn as either a standard 3 o'clock position holster as above
or as a cross draw.
DAOCROSS.jpg

It also has two different sets of slots so you can set different cants on the belt.

They make a shoulder holster for this as well but I do not use it very often.

As for reloading for the .500 I have been using the Galco cartridge carriers.
500_MAG2.jpg

They are not fast but they provide a few extra rounds should the need arise. But I do not use this weapon as a primary defense weapon against two legged critters so the whole mindset is different.

Regards

twoclones

imported post

After testing a lot of holsters and even making some, I have settled on the Galco holsters.
As have I. I have a Galco holster for every handgun I carry, except for my NAA Mini, and hang them on a Galco belt. There are some other very good holsters but like you, I have settled on Galco.

I'd like to point out to anyone who is new to carrying that a good holster and beltmakes all the difference in the world. Below is a photo of my .500 S&W 4", TC Encore Pro Hunter in .500 S&W, and NAA .22 mag Mini-revolver. The little one is worn as a belt buckle for open carry :) Note the 'dummy cord' on my revolver... This is serious retention for work or play in the back country.

TC_500SnW.jpg

Hmmm. Would the .500 fit in at an Open Carry lunch?

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

twoclones wrote:
After testing a lot of holsters and even making some, I have settled on the Galco holsters.
As have I. I have a Galco holster for every handgun I carry, except for my NAA Mini, and hang them on a Galco belt. There are some other very good holsters but like you, I have settled on Galco.

I'd like to point out to anyone who is new to carrying that a good holster and beltmakes all the difference in the world. Below is a photo of my .500 S&W 4", TC Encore Pro Hunter in .500 S&W, and NAA .22 mag Mini-revolver. The little one is worn as a belt buckle for open carry :) Note the 'dummy cord' on my revolver... This is serious retention for work or play in the back country.

TC_500SnW.jpg

Hmmm. Would the .500 fit in at an Open Carry lunch?
I have worn mine to two OC outings which included lunch. So I would say yes. I wore the holster in cross draw because it is more comfortable that way.

So it would seem that YOUR .500 likes "Bungee jumping".
006-%5BLaughing%5D-%5BEmoticonKing.com%5D.gif

twoclones

imported post

It may not like to bungee jump but it's certainly prepared :D I work in pretty remote areas of our American West and have had a couple of things influence my carry and shooting.

One was when my dog alerted me to acouger over head while I was in a very compromised position. But the time I got my balance and drew my revolver, it was gone. This really drove home for me the need to shoot well... Immediately afterwards, I bought a S&W 617 and for weeks I fired 100 rounds every morning. Wow! What a difference a little practice can make...

Next one I was working on the Idaho Wyoming border. Plenty of bear sign, frequently heard wolves near byand was often is forest and terrain I could barely push through. The thought of big bears started to eat at me so I bought the .500 S&W.

Soon after that someone sent a link to this videowhich sent me scurrying out to buyall the gear necessary to reload for the .500 so I could afford to shoot it enough to be proficient.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMbnmLLnsfw

"X" is for when N-frame isn't big enough... ;)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

twoclones wrote:
...SNIP

"X" is for when N-frame isn't big enough... ;) 

+1 a

Exactly! I bought mine for many of the same reasons you bought yours. In fact I my first use was on a trip to recover a friend from an air-crash. There was a distinct possibility that I might have to argue with either a bear or cougar for possession of my friends remains. In my view this was not a time to have to quibble over ownership, or caliber horsepower.

I have found that all this talk about the recoil is really a lot of talk. It does recoil more than a hot .44 mag, but it is not unmanageable for someone that is not recoil sensitive. I actually modified a part from the .460 X frame to eliminate the porting on mine so I could shoot it without hot gases blowing out the top of the barrel. Now I can safely load and shoot shot loads for the occasional snake. It does not increase the recoil to unmanageable levels even without the porting. I think a lot of people were trying to increase the mystique of the gun with all this recoil talk.

Regards