• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

As if Walmart weren't enough of a pain already

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
SNIP people just figure "earrings, tattoos, gun, HES GONNA ROB US!"
This is why the biggest robbers--Federal Reserve and Congress--wear business suits.

:cuss:

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
when i get another semi auto, i guess ill have to shave and take my 2g's out again aye :/ lol

people just figure "earrings, tattoos, gun, HES GONNA ROB US!"
Sad reality is that looks do matter and we all make judgments about looks. Some may place different weight on different things, but most everyone makes judgments based on looks, especially when it comes to things like physical safety.

I'll be even b1ack5mith is far less likely to jump from condition yellow to orange when it is a lone teenage or prepubescent girl walking down the sidewalk toward him at night than when it is a grown man who has the appearance of being strung out on drugs. A couple of intoxicated frat boys probably raise your awareness level higher than a couple of blue-haired senior citizens with their walkers.

Our looks, especially those aspects directly under our control DO say something about who we are. Now, in any specific case, tats and piercings may say nothing about how violent or peaceful a person is. Indeed, with the growing sub-culture of those into "altering" their bodies, certain forms of piercing and tattoos may actually indicate the person is not at all likely to be violent. But for many, especially those who are older, tattoos and piercings on men were once an indication of a rough and tumble crowd (bikers, sailors, etc) that might have been more prone to violence.

It turns out that most of us spend VERY little time looking at ourselves. So most of what we do, appearance-wise, is for the express purpose of conveying SOMETHING about ourselves to others. We can't hardly complain then when others notice those aspects of our appearance that we have deliberately put forth and make some judgment about us based thereon. If enough people are coming to erroneous conclusions, we may want to rethink our marketing strategy as it were.

A bit off topic, I know. And to each his own. But to be brief in summary, it is a bit strange to me that a person will do something very noticeable to his appearance and then complain when someone notices.

When I wear my kilt out in public, or even my suit to dress down Friday in the office, I can't very well complain when that unusual or rare attire is noticed.

Charles

GeneticsDave

imported post

Well, I OC'd there tonight with no problems. There is an empty Centerville squad car parked over there, doubtful if there is an officer present on location - I've never seen one.

I'm not going to alter my habits because of every little thing that gets reported in the news, sorry.

The ex-employee was an idiot, plain and simple. You don't threaten people's lives like that, you just don't. And you definitely don't show up at your place of employment with a means to carry out your prior threat... stupid.

I, on the other hand, have made no threats, have not shown myself to be a threat and will not conform to appease illogical fears. I will continue to do what I have done in the past and carry at all times.

P.S. Had to wait FOREVER to return an item... ugh... 21:10 on a Saturday night and I have to wait 35 minutes to return an item... weird.

ichigo

imported post

I got stopped by the door greeter the other day. She told me I had to cover up that...that ...that... thing, pointing to my XD9. She was looking and pointing to it as if my fly was down and showing the goods. "It's store policy" she says. My reply is "I don't think so", as she picks up her radio. I was in a super hurry and had my daughter in hand and wife and other kids in the car. I held my hand up and said no need to call your manager I'm in a hurry, whats your name, I'll come back to talk to your manager about the store policy you claim exists. I put the cart back, walked over to the other store entrance, went in without hassle, found what I needed and left all while open carrying. Before I make a fool of myself and go talk to management, does anyone know if their policy has indeed changed since the incident in October?

-banki-

BILLYBADBOY

imported post

ichigo wrote:
I got stopped by the door greeter the other day. She told me I had to cover up that...that ...that... thing, pointing to my XD9. She was looking and pointing to it as if my fly was down and showing the goods. "It's store policy" she says. My reply is "I don't think so", as she picks up her radio. I was in a super hurry and had my daughter in hand and wife and other kids in the car. I held my hand up and said no need to call your manager I'm in a hurry, whats your name, I'll come back to talk to your manager about the store policy you claim exists. I put the cart back, walked over to the other store entrance, went in without hassle, found what I needed and left all while open carrying. Before I make a fool of myself and go talk to management, does anyone know if their policy has indeed changed since the incident in October?

-banki-
one lucky dude.

JTknives

imported post

ichigo wrote:

-banki-
I thought there policy was to fallow local law. at leas that's what i remember from last time the topic was brought up.

Reapster

imported post

First off I want to say he is a nutjob I work for said company have for close to 6 years nowand I actually did work with him for a time and honestly he was odd in that sometimes he seemed totally normal and other times he seems like he was totally off his rocker.

When I first heard about this and heard it was him I was not in the least bit suprised, I worked with him at the West Valley store, and oddly about a week ago he showed up at the west valley store for an oil change and I got managment to kick him out because for obvious reasons he is not ever welcomed into a walmart, at least the two stores he worked at....

ichigo

imported post

swillden wrote:
ichigo wrote:
I got stopped by the door greeter the other day.
That wasn't the Riverdale Wal-mart, was it? There's one greeter there who is really bothered by OC.
I apologize. Centerville Walmart. Greeters name was Kathy. She may have been confusing customer policy with employee policy. I'll check with the managers next time I'm stopped...if it ever happens again. Might have been a one time deal. I don't think it is worth going to the store just to talk to the manager.

-banki-

kdt1970

imported post

I called the legal dept the other day and they basically told me that they leave it up to each store manager to decide whether or not to allow OC in there store.
They also said that they have had a lot of called recently about this (OC), and asked if there was some news coverage or somthing going on about it.

yo101jimmy

imported post

the Lindon store has cleaned up! :) I get looked at all the time when I OC at the west Jordan wal-mart. Had the feeling I better stop untill I get a new car or get into a new line of work. lol Walking back to a white PI crown vic may upset the WJPD.

kirkaroberts

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:
when i get another semi auto, i guess ill have to shave and take my 2g's out again aye :/ lol

people just figure "earrings, tattoos, gun, HES GONNA ROB US!"
But to be brief in summary, it is a bit strange to me that a person will do something very noticeable to his appearance and then complain when someone notices.

When I wear my kilt out in public, or even my suit to dress down Friday in the office, I can't very well complain when that unusual or rare attire is noticed.

Charles

You are correct Charles. This is reality. Nothing more, as unjust as it may be in most cases. I am quite clean cut and seldom get a second look. I guess I blend.

Kirk

kirkaroberts

imported post

Just an observation and way off topic, why do Centerville PD Officers work the freeway so much? It seems like I always see them out on I-15 with someone stopped. That bothers me. Do the citations generate revenue for the City of Centerville? Perhaps Centerville is so peaceful that the only work they have is the freeway or maybe they are pursuing drivers from town onto the freeway. Has anyone else noticed this? It may be perfectly innocent but I do not see other city departments on UHP's "turf" that much. Does anyone know what is up with this?

rpyne

imported post

kirkaroberts wrote:
Just an observation and way off topic, why do Centerville PD Officers work the freeway so much? It seems like I always see them out on I-15 with someone stopped. That bothers me. Do the citations generate revenue for the City of Centerville? Perhaps Centerville is so peaceful that the only work they have is the freeway or maybe they are pursuing drivers from town onto the freeway. Has anyone else noticed this? It may be perfectly innocent but I do not see other city departments on UHP's "turf" that much. Does anyone know what is up with this?
You hit it on the head, citations issued within the city limits do produce revenue for the city. Ogden PD used to run long term traps in the perpetual construction zones.

Trekker

imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
What does that have to do with OC?

In utah a cop is a cop. Try paying attention to how many troopers are outside your local bar on the weekends.
Or inside the bar, off duty? :?

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

BILLYBADBOY wrote:
Trekker wrote:
Or inside the bar, off duty? :?
IT"S HIS RIGHT!
Apparently it is also his prerogative to carry a gun when he is way over the legal limit of BAC.

If cops want to be regular joes when they are "off duty" none of my business. Drink to your heats' content, don't get rowdy, and call a cab or use a DD rather than driving drunk.

But if they want to claim they are "never off duty" and thus need to carry a gun (even when they are not on the clock) at times and in places where mere commoners are not allowed to do so, then they darn well ought to act like they are "never off duty" and not get smashed out in public.

I can accept the logic of EITHER position. But I'd like to see officers or at least departments pick one position and stick with it.

An intoxicated man's judgment and reflexes are impaired. He has NO BUSINESS carrying, much less drawing and using a gun. If you are going to carry a gun, don't get intoxicated. If you are going to get intoxicated, leave the gun at home.

I see no reason why cops should think they are exempt from this simple, common-sense rule.

Charles