• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Melanie Hain (SheFearsNothing) Dead

mjfletcher

imported post

http://www.ldnews.com/ci_13506791

Pistol-packin' soccer mom shot dead in Lebanon
By JOHN LATIMER Updated: 10/07/2009 10:38:37 PM EDT

A Lebanon woman who gained national notoriety last year after she brought her loaded handgun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game was shot and killed Wednesday night in an apparent murder-suicide. Meleanie Hain and her husband Scott Hain were pronounced dead by Lebanon County coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. after a two-hour standoff with police outside of their home at the corner of Second Avenue and East Grant Street. No cause of death was announced and autopsies were to be scheduled for Thursday, said Yocum.
http://www.whtm.com/news/stories/1009/666580.html

Gun-Toting Soccer Mom Shot, Killed
10/07/09 11:10 pm | reporter: Ann Mercogliano producer: Myles Snyder

Lebanon, Pa. - A Lebanon woman who gained national attention when she openly-carried a handgun at a children's soccer game last year was shot and killed Wednesday night, according to police. Police say Meleanie Hain and her husband, Scott Hain, died of gunshot wounds they sustained at their home on South Second Avenue. Officers were dispatched to the home at around 6 p.m. and remained on the scene for several hours as they conducted an investigation into the deaths. Police, however, said the scene was considered to be "closed" and that there was no reason for neighbors to be concerned for their safety. The couple's children were home when the shooting occurred and are staying with family, according to police. Hain's concealed weapons permit was revoked after she openly wore a holstered pistol to her daughter's soccer game in September 2008. A county judge later overturned the decision and returned her permit.

baseballguy2001

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

If she did shoot him and then commit suicide, this story plays right into the gun grabbers narratives. Guns are bad, blah, blah, blah.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Just read the story after I found it on CNN.

Very sad. Prayers go out to her children and other family.

Evil Ernie

imported post

I give my condolences to the surviving family. She was a true beacon for the OC cause and fought the good fight. I just can't fathom these actions tho. I can't put my finger on it (or refuse to believe), but this stinks. Its way too convenient. Maybe I've been wearing my TFH too tight.

RIP Melanie, you were and still are, one of my heroes.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

"Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.
"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."

Meleanie Hain was dubbed the pistol-packin' soccer mom by the media in September 2008 after it was first reported in the Lebanon Daily News that she wore her holstered 9mm Glock pistol to her daughter's soccer match. She became a spokeswoman of sorts for open-carry advocates - who support the right to carry a gun in the open - after complaints caused county Sheriff Mike DeLeo to confiscate her concealed-weapon permit."

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/32528.html

Not a good thing for the OC community. We'll have to wait and see what the details are. But right now it's not looking good...

Developing....

Jason Rogers

imported post

HankT wrote:
"Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.
"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."

Meleanie Hain was dubbed the pistol-packin' soccer mom by the media in September 2008 after it was first reported in the Lebanon Daily News that she wore her holstered 9mm Glock pistol to her daughter's soccer match. She became a spokeswoman of sorts for open-carry advocates - who support the right to carry a gun in the open - after complaints caused county Sheriff Mike DeLeo to confiscate her concealed-weapon permit."

Not a good thing for the OC community. We'll have to wait and see what the details are. But right now it's not looking good...

Developing....

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m10d8-Does-Hain-shooting-show-citizens-cant-be-trusted-with-guns

The Lebanon Daily News tells us Meleanie Hain and her husband Scott have been found dead from an apparent murder/suicide following "a two-hour standoff with police outside their home."

Their headline calls her a "pistol-packin' soccer mom," and the story tells us "she gained national notoriety last year after she brought her loaded handgun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game."

Notoriety. People who believe they have a right to the means of self defense are portrayed by the media as notorious. And kooky. And comments under this story--and in other accounts, reflect and amplify this, telling us about "those who live by the sword," some viciously disparaging Hain as a person, and generally exploiting this terrible incident to attack the notion that citizens have adequate competence or temperament to be trusted with guns.

Because we're not trained law enforcement "Only Ones," you see.

As with all developing stories, "facts" are subject to change as more developments and information unfolds. At this point, I note two additional factors to consider:

Several neighbors said they heard or saw the couple's children run from the house screaming, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 Center was called at 6:20 p.m.
So the "pistol-packin' soccer mom" was not the shooter? Meaning neighbor Debbie Mise's I-told-you-so "she just wasn't right" hoplophobia may not have made her the predictor of events she seemingly claims to be? Meaning...what exactly... about comment posters taking swipes at all gun owners over this?

And the second piece of potentially relevant information?

Her husband was a parole officer in Berks County and a former prison guard at the State Correctional Institute in Camp Hill. He also had worked part-time for Lebanon County Central Booking.
The point here is not to point fingers at law enforcement--no group should bear responsibility for aberrant individual acts. That said, we cannot stand by while the fitness of citizens to keep and bear arms is disparaged on the grounds that we just haven't had proper vetting and training like the professionals.

For now, let's see how things continue to unfold. We'll no doubt learn much more in the coming hours and days. Hopefully, someone is there to take in and love the children, who truly are the main people to be concerned about now.

44Brent

imported post

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20091008/US.Soccer.Mom.Gun/

LEBANON, Pa. — A mother of three who gained national notoriety after she openly carried a loaded handgun to her daughter's soccer game was shot dead along with her husband in what appeared to be a murder-suicide.

Meleanie Hain, 31, and Scott Hain 33, were pronounced dead shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at their 1 1/2-story brick home in Lebanon, a small city about 80 miles west of Philadelphia.

The couple's three children home at the time but weren't hurt, police told the Patriot-News in Harrisburg. They were taken to stay with friends and relatives.

Some neighbors told the Lebanon Daily News they heard or saw the children — a 10-year-old boy and girls aged 2 and 6 — running from the house and screaming "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 emergency center was alerted at 6:20 p.m.

Debbie Mise, who lives nearby, said she heard a strange sound following by the screams of the children.

"I heard something heavy drop or fall, and then right away I heard the kids screaming, but I thought they were playing," Mise said. "It was loud. But it didn't sound like a pop."

Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said Thursday that the case is classified as a "death investigation" involving two adult victims, but that no one outside the home nor any of the children is suspected of killing the couple. Detectives were still at the scene late Thursday morning, he said.

Wright said he did not plan to release any additional information about the case until after Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum conducts autopsies on Friday.

Details about the shootings and what prompted the violence remained unclear Thursday morning.

Neighbor Mark Long said the Hains had been having marital problems for about a week. He said Scott Hain had left home on Tuesday, and Meleanie Hain didn't know where he was, but that he returned Wednesday.

Another neighbor, Brian Witmer, said he saw Scott Hain mowing his lawn around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"There was nothing out of the ordinary," he said. "He didn't seem strange at all."

Scott Hain worked as a parole officer in neighboring Berks County, the News reported. He was formerly a guard at the Camp Hill state prison, according to the newspaper.

Meleanie Hain made headlines after she attended her then 5-year-old daughter's soccer game in a park on Sept. 11, 2008, with her 9mm Glock pistol in plain view holstered on her hip, upsetting other parents.

The county sheriff, Michael DeLeo, revoked her gun-carrying permit nine days later.

Hain successfully appealed the permit revocation, although the judge who restored the permit questioned her judgment and said she had "scared the devil" out of other people at the game.

Hain sued DeLeo in federal court, alleging that he violated her constitutional rights and prosecuted her maliciously when he took the permit away. She said that because of his actions her baby-sitting service had suffered, her children had been harassed and she had been ostracized by her neighbors in Lebanon, which has about 25,000 residents.

DeLeo said at Hain's appeal that he revoked her permit after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a state law that prohibits certain gun permits from being given to anyone whose character and reputation make him or her a danger to public safety.

After Hain sued DeLeo, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which says it tries to reform the gun industry through sensible regulations, offered to defend him for free.

"It is a case that calls out for common sense," Brady Center attorney Daniel Vice said then. "It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game."

A court hearing on Hain's $1 million lawsuit was postponed in May after an attorney in the case was involved in a traffic accident.

Tomahawk

imported post

HankT wrote:

Developing....
You got a lot of nerve, you scoundrel.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

This is so sad, sue the system and they come into your home and kill you.
I hope the children will get the money from the case, and wish them all the best.

She will be missed.

KBCraig

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
Not a good thing for the OC community.
You got a lot of nerve, you scoundrel.
You said that much more kindly than I would have.

So, what about HankT's professional law enforcement officer being a "goof with a gun"? Apparently a murderous goof with a gun?

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Yeah, I can just visualize Hanky salivating all over himself at the news... Sorry, hank, the psychotic husband killed her.

Funny, I just posted about this on PAFOA. I'll share:

So, after a long night and a morning of debating whether I should just call off for the day, I finally decided to go to work about 1030. If nothing else, to get away from it for a few hours. No such luck. First thing I do is turn on fox news (XM-sat) in the truck and the first report is about none other....

But what I wanted to let everyone know is that shortly after that I spoke with John Latimer (Lebanon Daily News). He called me to discuss the news and I had conveyed to him that I was dismayed that the news articles and responses to same are missing the real issue here. Had Meleanie never taken to carrying a firearm, and the soccer game issue never materialized, the tragedy yesterday would have still happened.. It's sad that she will be remembered by many for what they disagreed with her about. Not that she was the victim of yet another senseless domestic violence tragedy. Her position harmed no one, yet many feel the need to harm her in her passing. Sometimes I hate humanity in general. Today is one of those days. I know it will turn, but there are days that truly test ones fortitude to reconcile their anger, grief and sorrow.

My point, before rambling on above, was to pass on the word that Mr Latimer agreed. (actually brought up the topic) and that a larger piece was in the works for the weekend, concerning the topic of domestic violence, which was why he called. Not be the spoiler of news to come but that news has helped turn my day into one of at least a little more optimism.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Pa. Patriot wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
Yeah, I can just visualize Hanky salivating all over himself at the news... Sorry, hank, the psychotic husband killed her.

Funny, I just posted about this on PAFOA. I'll share:

So, after a long night and a morning of debating whether I should just call off for the day, I finally decided to go to work about 1030. If nothing else, to get away from it for a few hours. No such luck. First thing I do is turn on fox news (XM-sat) in the truck and the first report is about none other....

But what I wanted to let everyone know is that shortly after that I spoke with John Latimer (Lebanon Daily News). He called me to discuss the news and I had conveyed to him that I was dismayed that the news articles and responses to same are missing the real issue here. Had Meleanie never taken to carrying a firearm, and the soccer game issue never materialized, the tragedy yesterday would have still happened.. It's sad that she will be remembered by many for what they disagreed with her about. Not that she was the victim of yet another senseless domestic violence tragedy. Her position harmed no one, yet many feel the need to harm her in her passing. Sometimes I hate humanity in general. Today is one of those days. I know it will turn, but there are days that truly test ones fortitude to reconcile their anger, grief and sorrow.

My point, before rambling on above, was to pass on the word that Mr Latimer agreed. (actually brought up the topic) and that a larger piece was in the works for the weekend, concerning the topic of domestic violence, which was why he called. Not be the spoiler of news to come but that news has helped turn my day into one of at least a little more optimism.
I concur most emphatically. This is a domestic violence issue.

Those that have no common decency (you know to whom I speak) will try to make more of the other factors.

We owe it to Meleanie to treat this with respect and accuracy. I am outraged and heartbroken.

Until we meet again Meleanie, until we meet again.

Yata hey

planedr

imported post

Oh my god! I pesonally knew Melanie and her husband. I met them in June when I was at Ft. Indiantown Gap for School. I met her through Opencarry.org. We went shooting a few times and had dinner and drinks, She even took me out for my birthday because I was away from my family on my Bday. She was a sweet and caring girl who really believed in our rights to carry. I am totally shocked and saddened. I really feel for the kids, they are great kids. I am so sorry they have to go through this. I am at a loss..........................
icon_sad.gif

Mtn Jack

imported post

Melanie She fears nothing, her name said it all. A true Patriot, friend and a fearless leader of our cause. You will always be with us, We will watch over your children. Rest in peace. Mtn Jack and family.

Butlerite

imported post

baseballguy2001 wrote:
If she did shoot him and then commit suicide, this story plays right into the gun grabbers narratives. Guns are bad, blah, blah, blah.
Since you did not read the entry JUST above yours..... You are forgiven.