• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Melanie Hain (SheFearsNothing) Dead

Butlerite

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
HankT wrote:
"Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.
"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."

Meleanie Hain was dubbed the pistol-packin' soccer mom by the media in September 2008 after it was first reported in the Lebanon Daily News that she wore her holstered 9mm Glock pistol to her daughter's soccer match. She became a spokeswoman of sorts for open-carry advocates - who support the right to carry a gun in the open - after complaints caused county Sheriff Mike DeLeo to confiscate her concealed-weapon permit."

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/32528.html

Not a good thing for the OC community. We'll have to wait and see what the details are. But right now it's not looking good...

Developing....
You got a lot of nerve, you scoundrel.
+1 .

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
HankT wrote:
The point here is not to point fingers at law enforcement--no group should bear responsibility for aberrant individual acts. That said, we cannot stand by while the fitness of citizens to keep and bear arms is disparaged on the grounds that we just haven't had proper vetting and training like the professionals.

For now, let's see how things continue to unfold. We'll no doubt learn much more in the coming hours and days. Hopefully, someone is there to take in and love the children, who truly are the main people to be concerned about now.
+1 If the early reports are correct as to Melanie's husband being the aggressor will the headlines become "Parole officer murders wife and mother in front of their children and then turns gun on self"? I doubt it ...

BillMCyrus

imported post

The comments on the stories by those who are against carry rights are some of the most hateful things I've ever seen written against someone who isn't deserving of them. The Brady followers are vermin. Until this story I had lingering hopes that they were simply misguided folks who had lack of access to good information and influences, but this shows that a great many of them are simply sewer slime, bigots simply with a hatred that is sanctioned by political correctness.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

BillMCyrus wrote:
The comments on the stories by those who are against carry rights are some of the most hateful things I've ever seen written against someone who isn't deserving of them. The Brady followers are vermin. Until this story I had lingering hopes that they were simply misguided folks who had lack of access to good information and influences, but this shows that a great many of them are simply sewer slime, bigots simply with a hatred that is sanctioned by political correctness.
By their words, they shall be know.

Never, never under estimate the power of words - for good or evil.

Yata hey

Streetbikerr6

imported post

BillMCyrus wrote:
I agree.

It sounds like this case was simply over his wife taking his name off the million dollar law suit, him getting angry beyond belief and doing the unthinkable in front of his own children. He seems to have all responsibility in this. I feel so bad for those children and what they are going to have to go through their entire lives.

Off track but I just thought... How could guns be to blamed for a simple murder yet guns weren't to blame for hitler's doings even though he used guns? Whats the difference?? Both made a choice to murder. How they murdered should have nothing to do with what happened, the only thing that matters is the person who made the decision.. just like in Hitlers case. Why are guns an issue in todays story and not the fukcing person who did the murder????!!! Our attention should be on this psychopath of a husband, not guns!!!

AnaSaenz

imported post

I am all for protecting your home and your children with a gun. But taking it to a soccer game? I don't think so. I think she was intimidating and bullying others. I have no symphaty for her. She played with guns and end up losing.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AnaSaenz wrote:
Edited/deleted ignorant, insensitive posting - GS.

Please nobody else respond to this trash. This is NOT the time or place.

Yata hey

Jason Rogers

imported post

deepdiver wrote:
Jason Rogers wrote:
HankT wrote:
The point here is not to point fingers at law enforcement--no group should bear responsibility for aberrant individual acts. That said, we cannot stand by while the fitness of citizens to keep and bear arms is disparaged on the grounds that we just haven't had proper vetting and training like the professionals.

For now, let's see how things continue to unfold. We'll no doubt learn much more in the coming hours and days. Hopefully, someone is there to take in and love the children, who truly are the main people to be concerned about now.
+1 If the early reports are correct as to Melanie's husband being the aggressor will the headlines become "Parole officer murders wife and mother in front of their children and then turns gun on self"? I doubt it ...

I just want to be very clear that in the above quoted post I am not the author. I posted an article by David Codrea from his Examiner.com page:

http://www.examiner.com/x-1417-Gun-Rights-Examiner

I linked to the article as well as posting the full text in my post. My reputation here, among people I have a lot of respect for, is to important to me to alow any hint of plagarism or any other intilectual dishonesty.-Jay

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Repost (not mine) from PaFOA of today.

Much more detail - Police say it was witnessed on a web cam.

Yata hey

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/ind...anie_hain.html

Meleanie Hain shooting was witnessed on Web cam, police say

By JANET PICKEL, The Patriot-News
October 09, 2009, 2:29PM

Gun owner Meleanie Hain, in front of her house in Lebanon in December.Meleanie Hain, the pistol-carrying Lebanon mom who received national attention for taking a loaded gun to her daughter’s soccer game, was talking to a friend via a Web camera when her husband, Scott, shot her to death before killing himself, Lebanon police said today.

hain_house.jpgView full sizeDan Gleiter, The Patriot-NewsGun-carrying soccer mom Meleanie Hain died with her husband, Scott, in what police are calling a murder-suicide. Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in this home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, Lebanon, police said.Meleanie Hain, 31,and her husband, Scott, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street, Lebanon, police said.

At a press conference today, Lebanon police said Meleanie Hain was in the kitchen on the first floor of the home and communicating with a friend of hers and Scott's when Scott Hain fired six shots from a 9mm handgun registered to him. Scott Hain then went to the second floor of the home and shot and killed himself with a shotgun, police said.

Police said the friend had turned away from the computer during the conversation but turned back to the screen when he heard a shot and a scream. The friend did not see Meleanie Hain shot, but did see Scott Hain fire a gun where Meleanie had been sitting and called 911, police said. Police did not identify the friend or further categorize his relationship to Meleanie Hain.

Police have served a search warrant and seized the friend's computer.

Police took several handguns, a shot gun, two rifles and several hundred rounds of ammunition from the Hains' home. Meleanie Hain's handgun was found fully loaded and in a backpack near the front door of the home, police said.

The couple's three children were home at the time of the shooting but were not hurt. Police did not say whether any of them witnessed the shootings.

Meleanie Hain’s mother, Jenny Stanley, told WGAL-TV that the children, ages 2, 6 and 10, were “hanging in there.” “I’m devastated,” Stanley said. “I lost my daughter. I lost my best friend. The children lost their parents.”

dlofton

imported post

She should have been carrying her gun openly when this shooting happened. If she had been carrying her gun openly on her hip "for all the world to see", then she could have defended herself while she was on that video chat.

You may not like me saying the above statement but that is what people on this website put out as gospel. All of us go around saying how we want to be able to carry our firearms openly and how that would save lives because we would be able to react faster and would be able to give fear to the criminal element because they would see our guns and know we mean business in the first place.

So did she have it on? If so, she is still dead and the people here will have to admit that open carry was NOT successful in keeping another gun toting American alive.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for open carry. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the reality is that we preach how is can save lives...so why is she dead? (according to the theories in this forum she should be very much alive).

David

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

dlofton wrote:
She should have been carrying her gun openly when this shooting happened. If she had been carrying her gun openly on her hip "for all the world to see", then she could have defended herself while she was on that video chat.

You may not like me saying the above statement but that is what people on this website put out as gospel. All of us go around saying how we want to be able to carry our firearms openly and how that would save lives because we would be able to react faster and would be able to give fear to the criminal element because they would see our guns and know we mean business in the first place.

So did she have it on? If so, she is still dead and the people here will have to admit that open carry was NOT successful in keeping another gun toting American alive.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for open carry. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the reality is that we preach how is can save lives...so why is she dead? (according to the theories in this forum she should be very much alive).

David
You may be an advocate, you might even be a brother, but you are leaving a distinctively bad taste in my mouth.

While I really think that this is neither the time or place for such hypothesizing and misstatement of facts, I am going to respond and hope that that is the end of it here.

The idea of OCing for the world to see is to let the bad guy know your not defenseless. In this case her husband waited/knew that she was defenseless - at home, gun in bag hanging on the back door, her on the computer with her back turned and shot her without warning. This is all documented.

No one has ever put out as gospel that owning a gun, OCing one, or sleeping with one ever made you 100% safe from harm. In fact quite the opposite - if someone wants you badly enough, you are toast.

Now if you will please, sir, take your opinions and innuendos, sit down and do not speak of this again here.

Meleanie Hain was a friend of many on this forum (myself included), a lady of amazing grace. She did nothing wrong except perhaps not read the sick mind of her husband well enough.

Yata hey

inbox485

imported post

From what I've read so far there are a few points that absolutely need to be thrown in the face of anti-gunners that attempt to capitalize on this.

1 - She was murdered. She is not some political pawn. RIP
2 - She was not shot with her own gun. Her gun in no way contributed to her death.
3 - Her husband (the murderous scumbag who got off far too easy for what he did) was a police officer - one of the only ones who can do no wrong. One of the ones the brady campaign for insanity thinks should have firearms while the rest of us (including her) should not.
4 - She mentioned in an interview on Gun Nut Talk that she does not carry at home. Something to consider if you live with a mentally unstable police officer who you are in the process of leaving.

Anti gunners who try to spin this as an example of a gun making you less safe need to have these points thrown in their faces.

Her tragic death cannot be allowed to be twisted into anti gun or even anti OC fodder.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

inbox485 wrote:
From what I've read so far there are a few points that absolutely need to be thrown in the face of anti-gunners that attempt to capitalize on this.

1 - She was murdered. She is not some political pawn. RIP
2 - She was not shot with her own gun. Her gun in no way contributed to her death.
3 - Her husband (the murderous scumbag who got off far too easy for what he did) was a police officer - one of the only ones who can do no wrong. One of the ones the brady campaign for insanity thinks should have firearms while the rest of us (including her) should not.
4 - She mentioned in an interview on Gun Nut Talk that she does not carry at home. Something to consider if you live with a mentally unstable police officer who you are in the process of leaving.

Anti gunners who try to spin this as an example of a gun making you less safe need to have these points thrown in their faces.

Her tragic death cannot be allowed to be twisted into anti gun or even anti OC fodder.
Only one point of correction: Scott Hains was a Probation Officer who was authorized and did carry as part of his job.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

A Meleanie Hain Memorial site being put together by PaFOA now.

When it is up and running, it will be linked here.

Yata hey

PavePusher

imported post

dlofton wrote:

David

Sir, with all due respect, no-one here has ever claimed, seriously, that firearms are a panacea. They are a tool with a large but finite number of applications. I do not know of any physical weapon that could stop an act like this. You can not be 360-degree aware all the time. We do our best, but not no-one is perfect, or super-human.

Guns are not a magical talisman against betrayal.

lax

imported post

dlofton wrote:
She should have been carrying her gun openly when this shooting happened.  If she had been carrying her gun openly on her hip "for all the world to see", then she could have defended herself while she was on that video chat.

You may not like me saying the above statement but that is what people on this website put out as gospel.  All of us go around saying how we want to be able to carry our firearms openly and how that would save lives because we would be able to react faster and would be able to give fear to the criminal element because they would see our guns and know we mean business in the first place. 

So did she have it on?  If so, she is still dead and the people here will have to admit that open carry was NOT successful in keeping another gun toting American alive.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for open carry.  It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but the reality is that we preach how is can save lives...so why is she dead? (according to the theories in this forum she should be very much alive).

David

Wrap your head around this...
Wearing a seat belt does not mean you'll survive the car crash.