• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A few OC related questions.

Souk

imported post

Howdy folks, I come to y'all with a few more questions of the newbie variety.
Again, Any help would be most appreciated.

Question 1:
In concerns to a holster, the Blackhawk level 3 Light Bearing Duty Holster for a full size pistol(Glock 17).
Would a standard belt loop attachment from a holster like their CQC Level 2 fit on this holster, or only the semi drop leg style that comes with the holster?
Also would it be wiser to use said holster with the standard belt loop attachment(if it works), or the duty style attachment that it comes with?

Question 2:
A legal type question. If you are open carrying, and decide to cover up for any reason(with a cpl of course) with say a wind breaker or vest, and yet you are still printing enough than maybe someone may notice if they are looking at you(A LEO perhaps), Would this be considered a CPL Violation, sense you are technically CCing and yet someone noticed?

Question 3:
This is question pertaining to commercial drivers. What kind of laws are there about a commercial driver carrying between states, Concealed or Open with a Michigan CPL?

Thanks again folks for any information you may be able to offer up.

FatboyCykes

imported post

1. Um, preference?

2. No, you would not be in violation, you can carry either way so it really doesn't matter.

3. I don't believe there are any laws regarding commercial transport. You would be bound by MI law, Reciprocity laws in the other states(their concealed laws) and your employers rules.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Souk wrote:
Howdy folks, I come to y'all with a few more questions of the newbie variety.
Again, Any help would be most appreciated.

Question 1:
In concerns to a holster, the Blackhawk level 3 Light Bearing Duty Holster for a full size pistol(Glock 17).
Would a standard belt loop attachment from a holster like their CQC Level 2 fit on this holster, or only the semi drop leg style that comes with the holster?
Also would it be wiser to use said holster with the standard belt loop attachment(if it works), or the duty style attachment that it comes with?

This is definitely a personal preference thing. I went with a LVL II retention holster, LVL III is too much, in my opinion. But any of the mounting systems you mention should work. The Serpa is pretty modular.

Question 2:
A legal type question. If you are open carrying, and decide to cover up for any reason(with a cpl of course) with say a wind breaker or vest, and yet you are still printing enough than maybe someone may notice if they are looking at you(A LEO perhaps), Would this be considered a CPL Violation, sense you are technically CCing and yet someone noticed?

Most definitely not. There's no law against printing. It's legal to carry concealed (with CPL) and openly, and therefore it's legal to carry in any combination thereof (partially concealed).

Question 3:
This is question pertaining to commercial drivers. What kind of laws are there about a commercial driver carrying between states, Concealed or Open with a Michigan CPL?

Thanks again folks for any information you may be able to offer up.

The only law I'm aware of is Federal - and it pertains to the transportation of weapons in commerce, not personal carry pieces. So yes, here - state law prevails. There's no MICHIGAN state law against it, but you need to be sure in each state you travel to.

T Vance

imported post

I agree with Zig on the holster. I have a Glock 23, and use a Blackhawk Level 2 Serpa holster. It's great. A Level 3 does seem a bit excessive in my opinion, but it is your choice.