Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun-Toting Soccer Mom, Husband Shot Dead

Post imported post

From Fox News website.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,562102,00.html

LEBANON, Pennsylvania— A soccer mom who gained national attention when she openly carried a loaded gun to her 5-year-old daughter's game was shot dead Wednesday along with her husband in what appeared to be a murder-suicide, police said.
    Meleanie Hain and Scott Hain were pronounced dead Wednesday night at their home in Lebanon, a small city about 80 miles west of Philadelphia.
    The couple's three children were home at the time but weren't hurt, police said. They were taken to stay with friends and relatives.
    Meleanie Hain, 31, and Scott Hain, 33, had been having marital problems for about a week, neighbor Mark Long said. Scott Hain had left the couple's home on Tuesday, and Meleanie Hain didn't know where he was, but he returned Wednesday, Long said.
    Autopsies on the Hains were to be conducted Thursday, coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum said.
    Meleanie Hain made headlines after she attended a children's soccer game in a park on Sept. 11, 2008, with a handgun in plain view holstered on her hip, upsetting other parents.
    The county sheriff, Michael DeLeo, revoked her gun-carrying permit nine days later.
    Hain successfully appealed the permit revocation, although the judge who restored the permit questioned her judgment and said she had "scared the devil" out of other people at the game.
    var adsonar_placementId="1425767",adsonar_pid="144757" ,adsonar_ps="-1",adsonar_zw=224;adsonar_zh=93,adsonar_jv="ads.ad sonar.com"; Hain sued DeLeo in federal court, alleging that he violated her constitutional rights and prosecuted her maliciously when he took the permit away. She said that because of his actions her baby-sitting service had suffered, her children had been harassed and she had been ostracized by her neighbors in Lebanon, which has about 25,000 residents.
    DeLeo said at Hain's appeal that he revoked her permit after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a state law that prohibits certain gun permits from being given to anyone whose character and reputation make him or her a danger to public safety.
    After Hain sued DeLeo, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which says it tries to reform the gun industry through sensible regulations, offered to defend him for free.
    "It is a case that calls out for common sense," Brady Center attorney Daniel Vice said then. "It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game."
    A court hearing on Hain's $1 million lawsuit was postponed in May after an attorney in the case was involved in a traffic accident.

Post imported post

Boy that's tragic....I feel for the kids. ..

The media spin will be bad for 2nd Amendment
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If you have a gun, what in the hell do you have to be paranoid for." Clint Smith, Director of Thunder Ranch

Post imported post

That is absolutely terrible!

Post imported post

You may remember her from a year ago when she was featured on this sight and many news sites accross the web for OCing at her sons soccer game in PA. Here is the article.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,562102,00.html

Post imported post

Very sad. I wonder how long this will be used against us? Husband was a cop and she opened carried.

Post imported post

Unless I missed it, the story doesn't say who shot who. If she was the shooter, then the anti's will use her as an example. If he was, then they won't say too much.

Post imported post

I see it as a no win situation. If she was the shooter antis go nuts. If he was the shooter cop haters and antis will go nuts. The notion of guns are used for defense will go right out the window as well as the notion that they protect you. They wont see the details the way most of us here will see them.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

I think the "Kellerman Study" argument will be the one we see most. You know, where you are 43 times more likely to be injured or killed in a home where there are guns present than in one with no guns.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
    I think the "Kellerman Study" argument will be the one we see most. You know, where you are 43 times more likely to be injured or killed in a home where there are guns present than in one with no guns.
    I know that one all to well. The wife uses it on my almost daily....

Post imported post

I don't think political repercussions mean much in this circumstance. We tragically lost a member of this site, and she left behind kids. That really sucks.
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

According to this, he shot her. Sad.

http://www.ldnews.com/ci_13506791

Pistol-packin' soccer mom shot dead in Lebanon
    By JOHN LATIMER
    Staff Writer

Updated:10/08/2009 07:10:09 AM EDT

A Lebanon woman who gained national notoriety last year as a champion of Second Amendment rights after she brought her loaded handgun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game was shot and killed Wednesday night in an apparent murder-suicide.

Meleanie Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott Hain, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. after a two-hour standoff with police outside their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street. The episode ended quietly when police entered the house after trying to make contact with anyone inside.

No cause of death was announced, and autopsies were scheduled for today, said Yocum.

Lebanon police Chief Daniel Wright was guarded with information as detectives began the preliminary stages of the investigation late Wednesday night. He acknowledged that the Hains were both found dead and had suffered gunshot wounds inside their 1 ½-story brick home in a quiet neighborhood in Lebanon's southside. He would not provide any additional details, other than to say that police do not feel any other people were involved.

District Attorney David Arnold, who was at the scene, refused to comment.

Several neighbors said they heard or saw the couple's children run from the house screaming, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 Center was called at 6:20 p.m.

The children, 2- and 6-year-old girls and a 10-year-old boy, were in the care of a neighbor and were unhurt, said Wright.

The Lebanon County Emergency Services Unit was quickly called to the scene and the neighborhood cordoned off.

The front door of the house was open, and light could be seen inside the living room. But all inside and around the house was quiet as members of the Lebanon police and tactical team, armed with rifles, took up positions.

Petra Bossler, who lives next to the Hain home on Grant Street, said she did not hear any commotion or gunfire from the Hain home. She learned something had happened only when police came to her door and asked to come inside so they could peer from her windows at the Hain house, which is just several feet away.

Debbie Mise, who lives on East Grant Street, three doors away from the Hains, said she heard a strange sound followed by the screams of the children, which she mistook for playing.

"I heard something heavy drop or fall, and then right away I heard the kids screaming, but I thought they were playing," she said. "It was loud. But it didn't sound like a pop."

Brian Witmer, who lives between Mise and Bossler said he saw Scott Hain mowing the lawn about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"He was mowing his lawn, and the dog was outside. There was nothing out of the ordinary. He didn't seem strange at all," he said.

Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.

"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."

Meleanie Hain was dubbed the pistol-packin' soccer mom by the media in September 2008 after it was first reported in the Lebanon Daily News that she wore her holstered 9mm Glock pistol to her daughter's soccer match. She became a spokeswoman of sorts for open-carry advocates - who support the right to carry a gun in the open - after complaints caused county Sheriff Mike DeLeo to confiscate her concealed-weapon permit.

Hain appealed the action, and after a hearing DeLeo was ordered to return the permit.

Hain did not let the matter end there. She filed a federal civil-rights lawsuit against DeLeo. That trial was awaiting scheduling in U.S. Middle District Court.

Meleanie Hain at last report operated a day-care center in her home.

Her husband was a parole officer in Berks County and a former prison guard at the State Correctional Institute in Camp Hill. He also had worked part-time for Lebanon County Central Booking.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I don't think political repercussions mean much in this circumstance. We tragically lost a member of this site, and she left behind kids. That really sucks.
    Sorry, I didn't realize she was on this site...

Post imported post

If this site can teach us anything, it's not to trust the news. Particularly when the only witnesses are cops. I'd like to hear more sides to the story before I believe anything.

Speaking of the news, here is an old news story with Melanie in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBV4R78cloU
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

The media spin will be bad for 2nd Amendment. . . . I wonder how long this will be used against us? . . . If she was the shooter, then the anti's will use her as an example. . . . I think the "Kellerman Study" argument will be the one we see most.
    And the anti's have been quiet up to now? No. There will always be incidents of gun violence, and the anti's will always use the incidents as fodder. Been that way well before this incident, and it will be that way long after. Why mention the obvious and inevitable? What good does it do? Hey, did ya hear, the sun came up today? I think it's going to go down tonight and come up tomorrow!

Today it's Mel. A month ago, it was a person licensed to carry concealed. Three months ago, it was a person who got their weapon through a rogue gun dealer who didn't follow the law and do a background check. There will always be incidents used as fodder by the anti's, and they will use them. Thanks for your predictions, Nostradamus.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Post imported post

I've spent the past half-hour or so looking at various news reports and forums discussing the deaths of Melanie and Scott Hain. It appears that the deaths are the tragic ending of marital problems that have existed for some time.

No matter what the anti's say about the use of a firearm, or who shot whom, the truth of the matter is that if one person wants to murder another person they will find a way - using a frying pan, automobile or any other object that is convenient.

I mourn the loss of two human lives, and offer my sympathy to the children and family that are left behind. There is some discussion over at the Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Association forum http://forum.pafoa.org/news-123/7491...d-tonight.htmlof collecting money for funeral expenses and for the 3 children (ages 2, 6 and 10).

stay safe.

skidmark
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Post imported post

It seems Mel didn't do anything wrong. The antis cannot defame her.

They won't spin that only the chosen was at fault. They have no argument at all.

It's just so sad.

Post imported post

A post by a moderator in Skid's link-

this sucks. she was telling me at the OC dinner in Collegeville she was planning to discuss divorce with her husband, but was afraid he'd react violently.... RIP Meleanie.. and rot in hell Scott Hain

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Sad news indeed, I'm stunned. I met Melanie on this site when her case was going on in PA. We exchanged messages. I didn't know her well but gosh, she had her wits about her. Even under the toughest scrutiny. Condolences to the family and her children. Poor babies don't have mom or dad anymore.

I know the antis will use this and spin it and twist it and everything else.

Post imported post

Gordie wrote:
    Unless I missed it, the story doesn't say who shot who. If she was the shooter, then the anti's will use her as an example. If he was, then they won't say too much.
    From http://www.wgal.com/cnn-news/21234521/detail.html:

"The little boy said, 'Daddy shot mommy. That's what Tyler said to Mark," said neighbor Aileen Fortna.

Tyler is the couple's oldest son and Mark is the neighbor.

Very sad. Prayers go out to her children.

Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Who benefits...hum.....Federal law suit.....hum.... I'm not parinoid, but.

I hope the attorney follows through and can get a settlement for her kids.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Lone Star Veteran

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Who benefits...hum.....Federal law suit.....hum.... I'm not parinoid, but.

I hope the attorney follows through and can get a settlement for her kids.

I was thinking the same thing. I hope this is finished properly

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews

"A court hearing on Hain's $1 million lawsuit was postponed in May after an attorney in the case was involved in a traffic accident."

Post imported post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33220258...me_and_courts/

Of course MSNBC will focus on 'the soccer mom' business rather the details of the murder/suicide. They did'nt bother to include that her husband was the shooter (or the type weapon used). This is a rather tragic turn of events. The anti's will plumb this for all it's worth.Sad... really sad news.

Post imported post

I checked Paul Helmke's blog to see if he put his spin on the story. His blog is very anti-conceal carry. Get ready for that to be the next thing the Brady's go after.

If I am at a rally and I hear him or any one of his minions smear her I'm going to speak up.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

Post imported post

If she was shot by her husband, then that might prove that she really did need to carry a gun.

I wonder what medication he was on.

Post imported post

buster81 wrote:
    Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.

"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."
    What an absolute piece of s#@t this neighbor is!

A mother of three was just murdered, and his response is to accuse her of being "not right"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast