• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun-Toting Soccer Mom, Husband Shot Dead

inbox485

imported post

From what I've read so far there are a few points that absolutely need to be thrown in the face of anti-gunners that attempt to capitalize on this.

1 - She was murdered. She is not some political pawn. RIP
2 - She was not shot with her own gun. Her gun in no way contributed to her death.
3 - Her husband (the murderous scumbag who got off far too easy for what he did) was a police officer - one of the only ones who can do no wrong. One of the ones the brady campaign for insanity thinks should have firearms while the rest of us (including her) should not.
4 - She mentioned in an interview on Gun Nut Talk that she does not carry at home. Something to consider if you live with a mentally unstable police officer who you are in the process of leaving.

Anti gunners who try to spin this as an example of a gun making you less safe need to have these points thrown in their faces.

falcon1

imported post

inbox485 wrote:
From what I've read so far there are a few points that absolutely need to be thrown in the face of anti-gunners that attempt to capitalize on this.

1 - She was murdered. She is not some political pawn. RIP
2 - She was not shot with her own gun. Her gun in no way contributed to her death.
3 - Her husband (the murderous scumbag who got off far too easy for what he did) was a police officer - one of the only ones who can do no wrong. One of the ones the brady campaign for insanity thinks should have firearms while the rest of us (including her) should not.
4 - She mentioned in an interview on Gun Nut Talk that she does not carry at home. Something to consider if you live with a mentally unstable police officer who you are in the process of leaving.

Anti gunners who try to spin this as an example of a gun making you less safe need to have these points thrown in their faces.
I have seen on another forum, but would want to corroborate it, that her husband murdered her with his issued duty weapon?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Yeah... it was his duty weapon. Six shots. He did himself with a shotgun... 'Hope he swallowed the barrel.

Dreamer

imported post

What this case proves, (if such a tragedy can "prove" anything) is that if you are married to a cop, you have a greater change of being murdered by him with is service weapon during domestic abuse.

The real story here isn't his gun or her guns. The REAL story is that this guy was obviously an abusive, power-hungry control freak and nobody did anything to try and rein him in, and in his bid for ultimate control he did the unspeakable.

Hopefully, her estate will proceed with the previous case, and get the $1million settlement (from the OC lawsuit) for her children. And I hope that her estate brings a suit against the police again, this time for a "wrongful death".

LEO's SHOULD be held to a higher standard, and when one does something like this, the entire organization should be held responsible.

It's only fair--they try to make all us gun-owners take the heat for a few bad apples through gun-control laws. They make smokers all pay higher taxes for the few people who have health problems. There is a LONG (and I believe, unfair) legal precedent for holding entire groups responsible for the misfurtunate acts of a few, and I think any decent laywer could win a civil suit like this pretty handily, but you'd probably have to get it tried in a federal court, because the local judiciary would be too predjudicial.

Equal protection, bro. It's all about the 14th Amendment.

We need to start thinking like activists, folks. Use their own tactics against them. We need to approach our 2A issue with tactics like judo, not like Rambo. Use their own "strength" against them. The anti's like to rush headlong into this issue, screaming and flailing. We should be tripping them up EVERY time with the raw, "unmassaged" statistics, the Statute and Case Law, and their own convoluted, illogical BS.

{sarcasm ON}
If ANYTHING, this case should be used to repeal the Law Enforcement Protection Act, because it "proves" that cops can't be trusted to carry their service weapons (or any other weapons for that matter) outside the "adult supervision" of their "on the clock" work time.
{sarcasm OFF}

Just sayin'...

fingers80002

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Yeah... it was his duty weapon. Six shots. He did himself with a shotgun... 'Hope he swallowed the barrel.
Can you provide a story that states it was his duty weapon?

Everything I have read, it was his personal gun.

BTW: can everyone stop vilifying him, that is the last thing Meleanie would have wanted......

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/75107-meleanie-hain-fund-raiser-other-action-items-committee-enroll-here-brainstorm-here-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
Approximately 50 people from PAFOA are currently attending the service.

The impression Meleanie has left is quite amazing.

There isn't a huge media presence nor any disturbance that I can see.

The family, specifically her wonderful mother, has greated us with warmth.

Her mother gives big hugs like Meleanie.

Yata hey

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Vianne_Z wrote:
Huh???

Troll slumming to get somebody to take out a loan in the name of the kids. Words do not do justice for what I think about people (she looks like she's a people, as opposed to the sub-human species I think she really is) that do that sort of thing.

stay safe.

skidmark

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

skidmark wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Vianne_Z wrote:
Huh???

Troll slumming to get somebody to take out a loan in the name of the kids. Words do not do justice for what I think about people (she looks like she's a people, as opposed to the sub-human species I think she really is) that do that sort of thing.

stay safe.

skidmark
Hopefully they will be banned before the day is out.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

T Dubya wrote:
skidmark wrote:
buster81 wrote:
Vianne_Z wrote:
Huh??

stay safe.

skidmark
Hopefully they will be banned before the day is out.
Request made.

Yata hey

TFred

imported post

Here's a pretty good editorial on the true subject at hand. Other than describing the cowardly murderer as "a victim too", they did a pretty good job. I wonder what they think he was a victim of?

TFred

VOCAL SPOKESWOMAN FOR GUN RIGHTS NOW A SILENT SYMBOL AGAINST DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

Meleanie Hain's story came to an abrupt and tragic end on the night of Wednesday, Oct. 7, when the 31-year-old mother of three was shot dead by her husband, 33-year-old Scott Hain, in their home in a quiet neighborhood in Lebanon. Mr. Hain then turned the gun on himself. The Hains' three children were in the house when it happened.

Within minutes after the story about Lebanon's latest murder-suicide was posted on our newspaper's Web site that night, the online comments started to appear. Nearly all of them related at least tangentially to the Second Amendment. That's predictable, we suppose, considering who the victim was.

Sadly, the comment-writers were largely missing the point. As a nation, we're missing the point.

Mrs. Hain became the epicenter of a national gun-rights firestorm last year after she wore a loaded handgun, openly displayed in a holster on her hip, to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game. Other parents objected. Notable among them was the coach of one of the teams, Charlie Jones, who also happened to be the county's chief public defender and was soon to become the Republican nominee for county judge. As the story unfolded, Mrs. Hain's permit to carry a concealed weapon was revoked by the county sheriff (somewhat irrelevant, since she wasn't concealing it in the first place) then restored by a county judge who overturned the sheriff's action. Mrs. Hain subsequently filed civil actions against the county and the sheriff. Throughout, the case got national media attention.

Meleanie Hain was famous , or infamous, depending on your point of view , as the pistol-packing soccer mom. She was the poster girl for gun rights, and she appeared to revel in the role. But the thing about this tragedy is that it has virtually nothing to do with Mrs. Hain's right to bear arms, or her concealed-weapons permit, or her wisdom or lack thereof in wearing a loaded Glock to a children's soccer game.
It has everything to do with domestic violence.

Whether you loved or hated Meleanie Hain for her position on gun rights, you must recognize that she is yet one more victim of the national , and local , epidemic of violence in the home. That the weapon was a gun is perhaps ironic , we'll grant that , but it could just as easily have been a knife like the one that killed 55-year-old Christine Hardenstine in her home in North Lebanon Township last month or the one that killed 51-year-old Larry Colletti in his home in neighboring Annville the month before that. Or it could have been an electrical cord like the one in June that strangled 71-year-old Jeanette Ebling in her Swatara Township home, a few miles north of Lebanon.

Every one of those tragic slayings was a domestic-violence case. In one case, a girlfriend was charged with the murder; in another, a boyfriend; in another, a son.

In Mrs. Hain's case, there will be no charges because the killer, her husband, took his own life. He's a victim, too , not to mention the children, 2, 6 and 10. They were not physically hurt, but who knows what psychological harm they suffered?

Americans love to argue about guns and gun rights. We're not so keen on talking about domestic violence. Clearly, it's a conversation we need to have.

Coincidentally, October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month. It's a good time to start talking.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
Here's a pretty good editorial on the true subject at hand. Other than describing the cowardly murderer as "a victim too", they did a pretty good job. I wonder what they think he was a victim of?

TFred
Can't suggest out of respect for Meleanie and her children.

Yata hey

Sonora Rebel

imported post

fingers80002 wrote:
Sonora Rebel wrote:
Can you provide a story that states it was his duty weapon?

Everything I have read, it was his personal gun.

BTW: can everyone stop vilifying him, that is the last thing Meleanie would have wanted......

I think the last thing she wanted was for him to quit pullin' the damn trigger.

Ohhhh... don't vilify the murderer... Noooooo... He was just misunderstood. 'Took out the kids mom then himself. Oh yeah... don't vilify him. What freekin' planet are you on?

fingers80002

imported post

Hey asshole.
Go **** yourself!!!!!

She was a very dear friend of mine.

did you know her?
or him?

Probably not......

I did........