• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistol-packin' soccer mom shot dead

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

http://www.ldnews.com/ci_13506791

Pistol-packin' soccer mom shot dead in LebanonBy JOHN LATIMER
Staff WriterUpdated:10/08/2009 07:10:09 AM EDT

Meleanie Hain sports a holstered Glock at her daughter's soccer practice in September 2008. (Lebanon Daily News File Photo)

A Lebanon woman who gained national notoriety last year as a champion of Second Amendment rights after she brought her loaded handgun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game was shot and killed Wednesday night in an apparent murder-suicide. Meleanie Hain, 31, and her husband, Scott Hain, 33, were pronounced dead by Lebanon County coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum shortly after 8:30 p.m. after a two-hour standoff with police outside their home at Second Avenue and East Grant Street. The episode ended quietly when police entered the house after trying to make contact with anyone inside.
No cause of death was announced, and autopsies were scheduled for today, said Yocum.
Lebanon police Chief Daniel Wright was guarded with information as detectives began the preliminary stages of the investigation late Wednesday night. He acknowledged that the Hains were both found dead and had suffered gunshot wounds inside their 1 ½-story brick home in a quiet neighborhood in Lebanon's southside. He would not provide any additional details, other than to say that police do not feel any other people were involved.
District Attorney David Arnold, who was at the scene, refused to comment.
Several neighbors said they heard or saw the couple's children run from the house screaming, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 Center was called at 6:20 p.m.
The children, 2- and 6-year-old girls and a 10-year-old boy, were in the care of a neighbor and were unhurt, said Wright.
The Lebanon County Emergency Services Unit was quickly called to the scene and the neighborhood cordoned off.
The front door of the house was open, and light could be seen inside the living room. But all inside and around the house was quiet as members of the Lebanon police and tactical team, armed with rifles, took up positions.
Petra Bossler, who lives next to the Hain home on Grant Street, said she did not hear any commotion or gunfire from the Hain home. She learned something had happened only when police came to her door and asked to come inside so they could peer from her windows at the Hain house, which is just several feet away.
Debbie Mise, who lives on East Grant Street, three doors away from the Hains, said she heard a strange sound followed by the screams of the children, which she mistook for playing.
"I heard something heavy drop or fall, and then right away I heard the kids screaming, but I thought they were playing," she said. "It was loud. But it didn't sound like a pop."
Brian Witmer, who lives between Mise and Bossler said he saw Scott Hain mowing the lawn about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.
"He was mowing his lawn, and the dog was outside. There was nothing out of the ordinary. He didn't seem strange at all," he said.
Mise said she had a feeling something bad would eventually happen at the Hain home.
"She just wasn't right," Mise said of Meleanie Hain. "You don't bring a gun to a kids' soccer game, and you don't wear a gun when you go shopping at Kohl's."
Meleanie Hain was dubbed the pistol-packin' soccer mom by the media in September 2008 after it was first reported in the Lebanon Daily News that she wore her holstered 9mm Glock pistol to her daughter's soccer match. She became a spokeswoman of sorts for open-carry advocates - who support the right to carry a gun in the open - after complaints caused county Sheriff Mike DeLeo to confiscate her concealed-weapon permit.
Hain appealed the action, and after a hearing DeLeo was ordered to return the permit.
Hain did not let the matter end there. She filed a federal civil-rights lawsuit against DeLeo. That trial was awaiting scheduling in U.S. Middle District Court.
Meleanie Hain at last report operated a day-care center in her home.
Her husband was a parole officer in Berks County and a former prison guard at the State Correctional Institute in Camp Hill. He also had worked part-time for Lebanon County Central Booking.

johnlatimer@ldnews.com; 272-5611, ext. 149

:banghead:

ConfederateSoul

imported post

Terrible shame. The comment from her neighbor is complete crap. It IS a shame that people need to arm themsemlves for protection against the scum ruining our lives. Just because someone chooses to exercise their right to self defense doesn't mean they are 'not right.' My own mother accused me of becoming brainwashed by the NRA and some type of 'radical.' The crazies are the ones who feel that nothing bad could ever happen to them and think that just because you can call the police you are automatically safe.:cuss::banghead:

Flipper

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The Brady Gouls, WAVE andother the other anti-s by funded Chicago'sJoyce Foundation will have a field day with this one. The ploy used by WAVE, i.e. Joyce Foundation, to gardner "partner" organizations was "guns as a public health issue."

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum57/32189.html

and if you not sick enough about this, here is the reason to get involved to protect and keep your rights. Pro 2nd American citizens are against well funded elitists preying ontragic events to advance their goal ofdisarming the United States.

http://www.waveedfund.org/events

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I think once this gets sorted out, this will show poorly on the husband, who just happened to be a police officer. Too bad she was not quick enough to draw on him and end the threat against her.

Although the reports are not stating who got shot, and who took their own life, they did report that the children screamed "Daddy shot mommy" So it looks like she has done nothing wrong at this point besides being married to a short-tempered police officer. (the only ones that anti's want to have guns, Ironic?)

inbox485

imported post

From what I've read so far there are a few points that absolutely need to be thrown in the face of anti-gunners that attempt to capitalize on this.

1 - She was murdered. She is not some political pawn. RIP
2 - She was not shot with her own gun. Her gun in no way contributed to her death.
3 - Her husband (the murderous scumbag who got off far too easy for what he did) was a police officer - one of the only ones who can do no wrong. One of the ones the brady campaign for insanity thinks should have firearms while the rest of us (including her) should not.
4 - She mentioned in an interview on Gun Nut Talk that she does not carry at home. Something to consider if you live with a mentally unstable police officer who you are in the process of leaving.

Anti gunners who try to spin this as an example of a gun making you less safe need to have these points thrown in their faces.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I caught a quick blip abouther murder on the news this morning, apparently she was engaged in a video-chat with a "Male-Friend" when her husband came into the room and shot her.

" hes just a friend" (I'll leave it at that for obvious reasons)

ConfederateSoul

imported post

ah, so the husband flipped out and gunned her down because she was 'talking' to another guy. The fact that he was a police officer I hadn't heard before...protect and serve,my ass.

smithman

imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
ah, so the husband flipped out and gunned her down because she was 'talking' to another guy. The fact that he was a police officer I hadn't heard before...protect and serve,my ass.
You won't hear the media say much on the fact that he was a LEO. It will be in the print media but it won't be shown on the TV news.