• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

D.C. LEO harasses empty holster at rally.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

From the 2A March Newsletter, written by Pat Webb Virginia Coordinator, Second Amendment Sisters

"""""What a perfect day for a protest! The weather was not too cold, not too hot and overcast most of the day but it did not rain on our parade. I heard estimates throughout the day of numbers in attendance ranging from 1.5 to 2.5 million. Our local news reported thousands on one channel and tens of thousands on another. I was told that MSNBC reported 2 million!

We filled up 3 buses leaving from Beaverdam, VA with a total of 146 passengers. The trip up was uneventful, with only minor traffic delays beginning at Springfield and continuing for the rest of the way into DC. We disembarked at 6th and Constitution at about 10:30 and the march was already well under way with massive amounts of people filling Pennsylvania Avenue for as far as the eye could see. We fell in with the marchers and headed for the Capital.

My first encounter with law enforcement was when I left my family sitting on a wall and went around a corner to get a better vantage point for my pictures. I entered a cordoned off area thru a gate and was taking pictures when a Capital Police Officer approached me and said that he noticed the empty holster I was wearing and asked if I had a weapon to go with it. I responded that I didn't, since guns were not allowed in DC and he thanked me and left me alone.

My next exchange with LE was at the National Museum of Art; we had gone inside to use the restrooms and were told that our flags and signs were not allowed in the building and our bags must be inspected. It was obvious that this was a temporary checkpoint, as the "guard station" consisted of two folding tables and no permanent structures. We carried our things outside and some of us waited there with the bags, signs and flags while the rest of the group went in to the restrooms. When the others returned, my husband and I went back in and questioned the guard about the policy on the signs. We were told that the flags were not allowed because they had points on them.these are the small 4 x 6 inch flags on a stick maybe 12 inches long with a little wooden or plastic tip at the top. The guard informed us that non-folding umbrellas were not allowed either and that the points could damage the artwork! Then I asked about the reason for not allowing signs and the response was that they did not want to support any one opinion, so they ban all signs. We asked about the buttons and stickers on our shirts and were told that they were permissible!

Later on, I walked away from the demonstration to meet a friend and fellow Second Amendment Sister a few blocks away. While we were standing on the sidewalk taking, two LEOs approached me, one of them, I think a DHS officer, was bending over sideways to look at my holster.

He asked me to come over to where he was so he could "talk to me" so our whole group moved closer to him. He didn't like that much, but he asked me if I had a weapon and I responded that I was aware of the prohibition on guns in DC. I explained that the holster was a "silent protest" to the gun ban in DC.

He then said that he would have to ask me to remove my holster and I got the distinct feeling that he intended to confiscate it. When my husband pulled the video camera out of the bag, he changed his tone only slightly and asked me again to remove the holster, this time saying that I needed to "put it away".

I asked him why and he told me that it was illegal to have "gun paraphernalia". I told him that I had no guns, no ammunition and no magazines and that the holster was only a piece of leather and not against the law. He again insisted that I take the holster off, this time stating that it made it look like I had a gun. He said that he was pro-gun but still insisted that I need to take the holster off.

I asked him why, since it was not against the law and he said that someone might see it and, thinking I had a gun, shoot me! One of my companions asked him how that could happen, since guns were not allowed in DC!

As the situation progressed, the other LEO, either DC or Capital police, pulled out his cell phone and took my picture or videotaped portions of the incident. By then, we were drawing a small crowd of people wondering why these two cops were having this exchange with us. The crowd was telling the DC cop that they should quit harassing us and he told them that I was a "threat"!

In the mean time, my friend from SAS had pulled out her camera and was blatant about recording the encounter. The DHS officer asked her to [sic] get that camera out of his face, which of course she did not comply with. As time progressed, the officer gradually backed down from demanding to requesting that I remove my holster until he was "advising" me that it was in my best interest to comply.

Finally he conceded that he could not make me remove my holster but warned me that if I persisted that I *would* be detained and possibly arrested or shot, that not every LEO was "pro-gun" like he was! I will upload the video when I get it from my friend in SAS. Until then, stay safe!"

Pat Webb
Virginia Coordinator
Second Amendment Sisters

Venator

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
It's great that you stood your ground.

I'm the poster not the person writing it. It was in a email newsletter from the 2A March. I posted that in the title.

But I agree she did a great job.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Venator wrote:
SNIP Finally he conceded that he could not make me remove my holster but warned me that if I persisted that I *would* be detained and possibly arrested or shot, that not every LEO was "pro-gun" like he was!
"Thank you, Officer, for confessing that your department violates rights and lethal force doctrine with enough regularity that you think these outcomes are worth mentioning. I'll be sure to pass this along to the defense bar in DC."

KBCraig

imported post

Venator wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:

I'm the poster not the person writing it. It was in a email newsletter from the 2A March. I posted that in the title.

When readers come to the thread, they can't see the subtitle, so it's always good to give a short disclaimer (preferably with a URL or other cite) before the forwarded text.

And, ditto on the great job.

Tomahawk

imported post

Venator wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:

You should put it in a quote box, then. I read the title and still thought it was you.

I wonder if anyone identified the LEO and who he actually works for.

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

Venator wrote:
Finally he conceded that he could not make me remove my holster but warned me that if I persisted that I *would* be detained and possibly arrested or shot, that not every LEO was "pro-gun" like he was!

Threatened by police. Time to sue. If you have that threat on tape. You need to get the NRA or the Second Amendment Foundation to sue the DC police or the DHS for not only violating your rights... but for threatening to kill you.

I think this calls for a 1 million ARMED citizen march on DC. Lets see them try and arrest, shoot or disarm 1 million armed people.

Alexcabbie

imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Venator wrote:
Finally he conceded that he could not make me remove my holster but warned me that if I persisted that I *would* be detained and possibly arrested or shot, that not every LEO was "pro-gun" like he was!

Threatened by police. Time to sue. If you have that threat on tape. You need to get the NRA or the Second Amendment Foundation to sue the DC police or the DHS for not only violating your rights... but for threatening to kill you.

I think this calls for a 1 million ARMED citizen march on DC. Lets see them try and arrest, shoot or disarm 1 million armed people.

I think that once a year there should be "open carry picnics" starting just before the AM rush hour at the side of every road leading into DC so these folks can see what an armed crowd looks like.

A "Million Armed Citizen March" would have to originate in Virginia. That's the only place we would even have a snowball's chance of gathering and even then we would have to walk across one of six bridges: Chain, Key. Roosevelt, Memorial, Rochambeau (14th St) or Wilson (which would mean passing through Maryland like Jubal T. Early).

No matter which bridge, the march would begin in either the People's Republic of Arlington or the People's Republic of Alexandria; both of which have repeatedly sought exemption from State pre-emption despite the fact that the loss of the waiting periods and local discretion in issuing CCW (And also the fact that Alexandria can no longer prohibit open carry as they used to - and some cops have yet to read the memo). If a group of a million armed citizens gathered with the intent of crossing into DC, well, a bridge is ridiculously easy to secure. And the "leadership" could be arrested beforehand and charged with "conspiring to cross State lines with intent to commit a felony (Carrying arms in DC). In fine, no matter which bridge we chose, it would inevitably wind up being Concord Bridge II. And very possibly also a bridge too far.

Those who proclaim a need for armed defiance should ask themselves how long they would have lasted at Valley Forge, where frostbite and sickness and starvation took such a toll. Surely, if our sister Venator had been arrested on such a bull&^%$ charge, we would look after her.

If what was left of the Continental Army could have eaten rats and worn-out shoes and still crossed the Delaware to rudely interrupt Rall's Hessians on Christmas Eve; then surely we - who have been more victorious lately than Washington was then - have the stamina to fight these admittedly wearying legal battles, can get the word out, can campaign to elect officials who will stop perverting - when not outright ignoring - the Constitution.

BUT! I just had a hot idea. See, pellet guns and BB guns are NOT prohibited in DC or at least thats what I read in a Washington Post article a few months ago (as far as you can trust the Post on facts about anything, which is a bit less than Wikipedia) How about do some research and have a "Million Popgun March:" or maybe a "Million Empty Holster March"? Done right, mass satire might have a devastating effect.

TFred

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
Venator wrote:
PrayingForWar wrote:

You should put it in a quote box, then. I read the title and still thought it was you.

I wonder if anyone identified the LEO and who he actually works for.
Quote boxes with this bulletin board software are horribly defective, unless I am missing something, in which case I would be very happy for someone to set me straight.

Every time I have ever tried to insert a large amount of text inside a quote box, all the formatting, including the blank lines between paragraphs, is lost, and must be manually re-inserted for the text to be readable. It's enough of a pain to dissuade a poster from using it at all.

TFred

Venator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

Let's try a peaceful march first..Oh wait one is being planned for April 19th 2010. If you haven't already given your financial support why not? The March needs money to pull this off, lots of cost and hoops to jump through with the National Park Service. We need every gun lovers support, with money and with attending.

If you can't be in DC many states are having a rally at their state Capitols in the months before the DC event.

http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com

Venator

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
Uh, Venator. I did not write that, Iwrote a rebuttal to that. It is a nice notion but ..........

Carry on, Sister. :)

First off I didn'twrite the article in the OP Pat did. She is a woman. Venator..me is a male type person. If you look at my profile you can see my name, etc......

So you too carry on.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Venator wrote:
SNIP If you look at my profile you can see my name, etc...
Uh-oh. Better hide that profile discussion about the priority of good scotch. You might get a visit from Tomahawk and that annoying guy, Citizen. :D

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Venator wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Let's try a peaceful march first..Oh wait one is being planned for April 19th 2010. If you haven't already given your financial support why not? The March needs money to pull this off, lots of cost and hoops to jump through with the National Park Service. We need every gun lovers support, with money and with attending.

If you can't be in DC many states are having a rally at their state Capitols in the months before the DC event.

http://www.secondamendmentmarch.com

I donated to it, and I plan on going. The empire would stop us at the bridges if we came armed, and when it's time for us to do that, they'll already have begun killing us. No need to go to DC at that point until we've swept up the rest of the country.

That said, I don't believe there will be a time in my life where "they" will be killing "us". For the time being, "they" are "us". We can't let them divide us. The guns of the empire are still in our hands, or your brother's, cousins or neighbors who wear the uniform, hold the keys to the armories, planes and tanks. As soon as "they" divide "us", it's over for civilization, and I just can't see it going that far.

KBCraig

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Venator wrote:
Uh-oh. Better hide that profile discussion about the priority of good scotch. You might get a visit from Tomahawk and that annoying guy, Citizen. :D
There is no discussion. If there's even a question, the answer is The Macallan. :cool:

Alexcabbie

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Venator wrote:
There is no discussion. If there's even a question, the answer is The Macallan. :cool:
Darn tootin'. I have always been against underage drinking, and I beleive you should be at least twice as old as the Scotch you drink. People thought I was nutso when I got excited about turning 50......:cool:

Alexcabbie

imported post

Venator wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:
Uh, Venator. I did not write that, Iwrote a rebuttal to that. It is a nice notion but ..........

Carry on, Sister. :)

First off I didn'twrite the article in the OP Pat did. She is a woman. Venator..me is a male type person. If you look at my profile you can see my name, etc......

So you too carry on.
OMG. I beg your pardon, sir. :shock: Kindly forgive me. And may any female who reads this forgive me also for apologizing for mistaking a writer for a woman and ..... AGH! boy I stepped in it... sorry. (Insert sheepish grin emoticon)

Venator

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
Citizen wrote:
Venator wrote:
That's a good choice and answer.