• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Tribal Land Info

Sonora Rebel

imported post

There are 21 Indian reservations in Arizona. If you are otherwise carrying lawfully, you may carry on federal and state highways that cross reservations. If you are not an American Indian, a reservation cannot prosecute you for carrying a firearm if your carry is legal in the surrounding county. However, if your firearm should be confiscated, it is up to the tribe if it wishes to provide you a means to seek its return; you cannot sue a tribe unless it consents to be sued. A privately conducted 2005 survey of 20 of the 21 reservations asked if they honored the Arizona CWP:

1. Ak-Chin Yes
2. Cocopah No
3. Colorado River Yes
4. Fort McDowell Yavapai Yes
5. Fort Mojave No
6. Fort Yuma-Quechan Yes
7. Gila River No
8. Havasupai No
9. Hopi Yes
10. Haulapai No
11. Kaibab-Paiute No
12. Navajo Yes
13. Pascua Yaqui No
14. Salt River Pima-Maricopa No
15. San Carlos Apache Yes
16. Tohono O’odham (Pima) Yes
17. Tonto Apache No
18. White Mountain Apache Yes
19. Yavapai Prescott No
20. Yavapai Apache No

Note that tribal governments may change, that open carry is likely to be viewed as provocative if you are not engaged in a licensed hunt and that many tribes don’t allow their own members to carry deadly weapons.

What happened to the Papago?

AZkopper

imported post

When my wife was obtaining her CWP up here in Prescott, I called over to Yavapai Prescott, specifically about conceal carrying at Frontier Village (Home Depot, Old Navy, Target, et al).

I was informed that "Well, there's nothing we really can do about it"

So while Yavapai Prescott may not 'legally' allow firearms on the Res, Tribal Police are not enforcing in at the shopping center, where all the non-Native Americans go.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

AZkopper wrote:
When my wife was obtaining her CWP up here in Prescott, I called over to Yavapai Prescott, specifically about conceal carrying at Frontier Village (Home Depot, Old Navy, Target, et al).

I was informed that "Well, there's nothing we really can do about it"

So while Yavapai Prescott may not 'legally' allow firearms on the Res, Tribal Police are not enforcing in at the shopping center, where all the non-Native Americans go.
Follow da money! :)

Thoreau

imported post

Good info to have =)

It would be nice tho if the DPS CCW folks could work with the tribal groups much like they do with other US states to determine reciprocity. That would make life REAL easy (not to mention more 'official'.)

PT111

imported post

Thoreau wrote:
Good info to have =)

It would be nice tho if the DPS CCW folks could work with the tribal groups much like they do with other US states to determine reciprocity. That would make life REAL easy (not to mention more 'official'.)
That would be good except that the way the "White Man/U S Government" has treated the "Native Americans" over the years proves that any reciprocity deal would not be honored and the tribes told to "Go chase thyself". the U S has failed to live up to virtually every treaty, deal or agreement ever made with them.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Thoreau wrote:
Good info to have =)

That would be good except that the way the "White Man/U S Government" has treated the "Native Americans" over the years proves that any reciprocity deal would not be honored and the tribes told to "Go chase thyself". the U S has failed to live up to virtually every treaty, deal or agreement ever made with them.
The Tribes would be dealin' with AZ, not the Feds. We've got some large rez areas here... 'n many of 'em. I'm about 1/8 mile from one. You can't drive thru AZ w/o crossing INDN land somewhere.

Huck

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
The Tribes would be dealin' with AZ, not the Feds. We've got some large rez areas here... 'n many of 'em. I'm about 1/8 mile from one. You can't drive thru AZ w/o crossing INDN land somewhere.

It's pretty much the same way in Oklahoma. It seems like every 10-15 miles you're entering a reservation.

I need to check up on the status for CC/OC on theWind River Reservation. It didnt occur to me until this thread that the Reservations might have different carry laws than the state that they're in.