• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Yet another reason to carry

kenny

imported post

On the edge of VCU but not a college student. Below is the email sent to the RTD. The RTD does not include a description.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/crime/article/FANGAT08_20091008-065802/298153/

Published: October 8, 2009

A man was robbed at gunpoint in an alley behind his Fan District home last night.

The man told Richmond police he was getting out of his car behind his home in the 1600 block of West Grace Street when he was confronted by two suspects, one of whom had a gun.

The suspects instructed him to put his wallet in a bag they were carrying, and when he complied, they ran.

The victim, who was not injured, told police the robbery happened so fast that he was unable to get a good description of the suspects.

email shared by a friend:

I'm writing to let you and my Grace Street neighbors know that my husband was robbed at gunpoint about 9 PM this evening.

He had just parked his car behind our house (16xx), and had gotten out, when two men stepped toward him from the alley and demanded his wallet. They then told him to lie down with his hands behind his back.

He saw them run toward Allen Avenue. When canceling credit cards, we found out that they used one to get gas at a Citco station. The police came immediately, including one with a dog, and have been helpful.

They said the description Charlie gave them didn't fit any current suspects--so maybe it's a new group. Description: One tall, fairly thin, black male wearing dark blue bandana over face, and one medium height black male.

Fortunately, he was not hurt.

curtiswr

imported post

Fan.jpg

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

This points out something we rarely talk about but is a fact of life. The anti's would have us just hand over our wallets/purses and keys and let the robbers go. Well I wonder if they think of all of the ramifications of doing this?

Now they have your credit cards/debit cars/atm info, perhaps checks, and a whole lot of other info about you. And they most likely have keys to your home, too. Say this happens in a shopping center parking lot 20 miles from home. These maggots could drive to your home (assuming they know the area), and continue with their booty collection. And what if your wife is there alone when they get there? Or maybe young children?

There are a host of things to consider before just handing over things as important as a wallet or purse, and keys. Bet the anti's don't think of these when they make their all-encompassing comments about just being passive and singing Kumbaya with the BGs.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
This points out something we rarely talk about but is a fact of life. The anti's would have us just hand over our wallets/purses and keys and let the robbers go. Well I wonder if they think of all of the ramifications of doing this?

Now they have your credit cards/debit cars/atm info, perhaps checks, and a whole lot of other info about you. And they most likely have keys to your home, too. Say this happens in a shopping center parking lot 20 miles from home. These maggots could drive to your home (assuming they know the area), and continue with their booty collection. And what if your wife is there alone when they get there? Or maybe young children?

There are a host of things to consider before just handing over things as important as a wallet or purse, and keys. Bet the anti's don't think of these when they make their all-encompassing comments about just being passive and singing Kumbaya with the BGs.
It's not jut street robberies.
Robberies in the Fan on the risehttp://www.nbc12.com/global/story.asp?s=11284739

The whole city/county area is coming unglued (as if it was safe before the Obama Economy)

I noticed that even the kiddie robberies are getting more violent and at least one of these was close enough to the Bow Tie to make my point about the area.
http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/so-you-think-youre-kids-are-safe-at-the-movies/

This is going to continue to get worse. There are enough criminals to crowd the market to start with..but with unemployment and people facing eviction, foreclosure and in some cases, just not eating...the number of trainees is getting longer.

wylde007

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
The anti's would have us just hand over our wallets/purses and keys and let the robbers go.
That EXACT SAME LOGIC got planes crashed into buildings in NYC and heralded the new era of usurpation we suffer today under such egregious "legislation" (for lack of a better term) such as the Patriot Act.

Which, consequently, is about as aptly named as the ministries in Orwell's 1984.

essayons

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

VCU advises students to carry a "mugger's" wallet, an extra wallet with a few dollars in cash that you can hand to a robber while keeping your real wallet.

Indoctrination of a victim culture. It makes me sick.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

essayons wrote:
VCU advises students to carry a "mugger's" wallet, an extra wallet with a few dollars in cash that you can hand to a robber while keeping your real wallet.

Are you serious?

I'd rather carry a gun and tell the robber to go pound salt! A wallet with only $2 in it is going to get someone shot.

essayons

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
essayons wrote:

Are you serious?

I'd rather carry a gun and tell the robber to go pound salt! A wallet with only $2 in it is going to get someone shot.
http://libertysmanure.blogspot.com/2009/01/my-university-in-its-infinite-wisdom.html

http://www.yourstrategy.org/images-posters/09SP-ssj-1.pdf

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My ;youngest duaghter used to live on W. Grace street when she went to VCU. Of course, noe of us had any idea what a reputation that place had until she had moved in. One attempt to burglarize her apt. was thwarted by the fact that I had installed heavy locks and strike plates, which even a crow bar couldn't bust. Shortly after that, some insect got through her kitchen door and cleaned out all her electronics. She had finished the year, so she moved out for good. She's taken a course, and just has to wait 'til she's 21 in Jan. to get her CCW. Meanwhile, she has a Taser C-2. Check 'em out. They're a pretty good option for "less-lethal".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
essayons wrote:

Are you serious?

Stealing a quote from PVC, "My wallet has a gun in it."

That said, throwing a wallet to one side of the BG can potentially distract him/them if they have gotten that close.

Yata hey

Neplusultra

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
essayons wrote:

Are you serious?

Hey, I might be into using a "safety" wallet. If it had an exploding dye pack in it :^). That, would be fun.

curtiswr

imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
essayons wrote:

Are you serious?

Hey, I might be into using a "safety" wallet. If it had an exploding dye pack in it :^). That, would be fun.

Just how explosive are you talking? :p :lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'd go for a nice "robber's wallet" that had some phosphorous (sp)in it... I'd just love to hear the screams of a scumbag as his hand melted away; but I'm sure that would violate some silly lib-law, wouldn't it?

That would be just a different mode of the old fashioned Muslim punishment for a thief, isn't it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
I'd go for a nice "robber's wallet" that had some phosphorous (sp)in it... I'd just love to hear the screams of a scumbag as his hand melted away; but I'm sure that would violate some silly lib-law, wouldn't it?

That would be just a different mode of the old fashioned Muslim punishment for a thief, isn't it?
Build a better mouse trap.......

Yata hey

nova

imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:

Yup. No thanks, I say to that.

papabear

imported post

Had two wonderful young upcoming citizens ,attempt to mug me down there in the early 80s. Didnt carry a handgun back then, but I did have a brick in my hand and some good running shoes. After I clocked 1 of them on the head with my brick , I ran like a scared school kid.

Things would go quite a bit different nowadays.:shock: