• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Soccer Mom killed in Murder Suicide

coolusername2007

imported post

I can just here the anti-gunners going off on this.

ETA: Very, very tragic for the children.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,562102,00.html?test=latestnews

Gun-Toting Soccer Mom, Husband Shot Dead in Apparent Murder-Suicide

LEBANON, Pa.— A mother of three who gained national notoriety after she openly carried a loaded handgun to her daughter's soccer game was shot dead along with her husband in what appeared to be a murder-suicide.[/b]

Meleanie Hain, 31, and Scott Hain 33, were pronounced dead shortly after 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at their 1 1/2-story brick home in Lebanon, a small city about 80 miles west of Philadelphia.

The couple's three children home at the time but weren't hurt, police told the Patriot-News in Harrisburg. They were taken to stay with friends and relatives.

Some neighbors told the Lebanon Daily News they heard or saw the children — a 10-year-old boy and girls aged 2 and 6 — running from the house and screaming "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 emergency center was alerted at 6:20 p.m.

Debbie Mise, who lives nearby, said she heard a strange sound following by the screams of the children.

"I heard something heavy drop or fall, and then right away I heard the kids screaming, but I thought they were playing," Mise said. "It was loud. But it didn't sound like a pop."

Lebanon Police Chief Daniel Wright said Thursday that the case is classified as a "death investigation" involving two adult victims, but that no one outside the home nor any of the children is suspected of killing the couple. Detectives were still at the scene late Thursday morning, he said.

Wright said he did not plan to release any additional information about the case until after Lebanon County Coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum conducts autopsies on Friday.

Details about the shootings and what prompted the violence remained unclear Thursday morning.

Neighbor Mark Long said the Hains had been having marital problems for about a week. He said Scott Hain had left home on Tuesday, and Meleanie Hain didn't know where he was, but that he returned Wednesday.

Another neighbor, Brian Witmer, said he saw Scott Hain mowing his lawn around 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"There was nothing out of the ordinary," he said. "He didn't seem strange at all."

Scott Hain worked as a parole officer in neighboring Berks County, the News reported. He was formerly a guard at the Camp Hill state prison, according to the newspaper.

Meleanie Hain made headlines after she attended her then 5-year-old daughter's soccer game in a park on Sept. 11, 2008, with her 9mm Glock pistol in plain view holstered on her hip, upsetting other parents.

The county sheriff, Michael DeLeo, revoked her gun-carrying permit nine days later.

Hain successfully appealed the permit revocation, although the judge who restored the permit questioned her judgment and said she had "scared the devil" out of other people at the game.

Hain sued DeLeo in federal court, alleging that he violated her constitutional rights and prosecuted her maliciously when he took the permit away. She said that because of his actions her baby-sitting service had suffered, her children had been harassed and she had been ostracized by her neighbors in Lebanon, which has about 25,000 residents.

DeLeo said at Hain's appeal that he revoked her permit after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a state law that prohibits certain gun permits from being given to anyone whose character and reputation make him or her a danger to public safety.

After Hain sued DeLeo, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which says it tries to reform the gun industry through sensible regulations, offered to defend him for free.

"It is a case that calls out for common sense," Brady Center attorney Daniel Vice said then. "It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game."

A court hearing on Hain's $1 million lawsuit was postponed in May after an attorney in the case was involved in a traffic accident.

Captain_Awesome

imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
I can just here the anti-gunners going off on this.
Yeah.
"Lady with gun gets shot"
"gun-toting mom isn't able to protect herself."
I imagine dozens of articles all following the same flawed logic:
lady has gun
lady gets shot
guns don't save lives

NightOwl

imported post

A tragedy of this nature isn't something that can or should be used to further either cause, as it's pretty well cause-neutral and it's just not right to use such an event for political gain. Not that people don't, regardless, but even so.

However, to address the point made in the OP, her husband being a parole officer would pretty effectively negate any anti-gun usage of it for leverage. Unless it's it's for disarming of law enforcement, which I don't see the Brady campaign advocating.

Someone going spontaneously crazy isn't something you can be prepared for, especially when it's a loved one who isn't really announcing their plans to kill you and themselves. Can't keep your guard up all the time around every person, and even if you could...I certainly wouldn't want to live that way.

bomb_guy

imported post

"Scott Hain had been a parole agent for the state Board of Probation and Parole in the Reading sub-office since August 2008, said a parole board spokeswoman. Before that, he had worked as a corrections officer at the State Correctional Institution at Camp Hill since March 2000, said spokeswoman Susan McNaughton."

I don't think 'parole agent' or 'corrections officer' is the same as LE. This guy sounds like a want-to-be cop.

The whole situation is very sad. She obviously had a good reason for arming herself and now it is very clear that she was not just paranoid.

I bet she made the mistake of trying to talk to this freak instead of helping him assume room temperature when he initiated their final confrontation.

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

It's ironic. If it happened like the kids said, "Daddy shot mommy", thensheriff DeLEOexercised poor judgmentin disarming the wrong person!

To summarize: LEO sheriff disarms soccer mom, who in turn is shot by LEO husband.

So what becomes of the $1 million dollar lawsuit against LEO sheriff? It seems thatLEO sheriffis a benefactor of the dead soccer mom.

My "spider-senses" are tingling...

inbox485

imported post

From what I've read so far there are a few points that absolutely need to be thrown in the face of anti-gunners that attempt to capitalize on this.

1 - She was murdered. She is not some political pawn. RIP
2 - She was not shot with her own gun. Her gun in no way contributed to her death.
3 - Her husband (the murderous scumbag who got off far too easy for what he did) was a police officer - one of the only ones who can do no wrong. One of the ones the brady campaign for insanity thinks should have firearms while the rest of us (including her) should not.
4 - She mentioned in an interview on Gun Nut Talk that she does not carry at home. Something to consider if you live with a mentally unstable police officer who you are in the process of leaving.

Anti gunners who try to spin this as an example of a gun making you less safe need to have these points thrown in their faces.

coolusername2007

imported post

This incident was also discussed on calguns. In one of the posts there several anti-gunners were quoted from another site (out of NY I think) that wereabsolutely disgusting and completely telling. I suggest you all take a look and see exactly what the opposition says, feels, and thinks of the pro-gun community.

ETA: Here's the link, check out post 54...everybody should read this... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=229462&page=6

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

coolusername2007 wrote:
...Here's the link, check out post 54...everybody should read this if you care what the opposite side thinks, or just need a reason to hear the ranting of lunatics ... http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=229462&page=6
Fixed.

Honestly, the only good that can come of reading the candid opinions of your enemy is to know how truly they hate you. If you don't already know that... then you definitely need to read it. But if you already know they'll party on your grave... nothing new to see at that link.

Carry on.