Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purchase of a Handgun by a person under 21

Post imported post

Hi, I am 18 and just bought my first shotgun (Maxus Stalker 10 gauge) the other day. This is the first time I have owned a firearm, but obviously not the first time I have used one.

After going skeet shooting with it, I was wondering about pistols. I know that federal regulation doesn't allow people under the age of 21 to purchase ammo for pistols or pistols themselves from a licensed dealer. I saw nothing about someone under the age of 21 possessing one, so how do I go upon obtaining one? Do I have a friend buy one and then sell it to me or what?

Thanks.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

You can't buy one from a dealer who has an FFL until you are 21, but you can buy one from a private person/seller.....search the Trading Post.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Well, assuming you are in VA...

You cannot purchase a handgun from a FFL until you are 21+. You can however receive one as a gift, asa part of an inheritance, in trade, or in a private / non-commercial transaction (Non-FFL).

I strongly encourage you to not have someone buy a gun only to immediately resell it to you. That could be construed / viewed as a straw purchase which is really frowned upon as it's decidedly illegal.

To put it another way, if you and a friend go to a gun shop and tell the shopkeep that your friend is selling the gun he is purchasing to you after he is done buying it at the store, you'll be told to go away.

Likewise, if you are interested in a CHP, you can take the classes now but cannot apply for one until you are 21+.

Sure Proshooter, steal my thunder. :P

Post imported post

What forms in VA will I have to fill out? Cause Im sure there is paper work.

Post imported post

Nope, no registration or anything like that for your typical handgun. Class 3 weapons are a different story.

You may want to do a google search for "VA Gun Laws" and another for the "VA State Police" to find a wealth of information. The VSP website also has some useful links leading to additional sites that will also help guide you.

If you have any other questions, please ask. One (or more) of us will help you.

The only paperwork you should have to fill out is the forms at the gunshop. Since you aren't 21, you cannot fill them out since you can't buy from a FFL yet. Well, you could but they'd stop once you indicated your age was <21.

Buying face to face or in a private transaction, the only forms you'd have to worry about are whatever forms the seller wanted you to fill out. That is typically name, address, purchase price, date, and signature from the ones I've seen posted on this forum. It really depends on the private seller.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    Sure Proshooter, steal my thunder. :P
    You snooze, you lose!
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

Awesome, thanks. I have been wanting to buy my friends desert eagle .50 for show and thinking about getting a Glock for a OC.

Post imported post

In your other thread you said you aren't a resident of Virginia, so some of this information might not apply to you.

Post imported post

hunter45 wrote:
    In your other thread you said you aren't a resident of Virginia, so some of this information might not apply to you.
    That changes everything entirely!

Post imported post

I am moving there in a couple of months.

Post imported post

darthmord wrote:
    Buying face to face or in a private transaction, the only forms you'd have to worry about are whatever forms the seller wanted you to fill out. That is typically name, address, purchase price, date, and signature from the ones I've seen posted on this forum. It really depends on the private seller.
    Also, eddyys, in a private sale context, be prepared for the possibility that some private sellers will elect not to sell to an 18-year-old. Their position will usuallybe grounded inone of these two bases:

1. They think, erroneously, that selling to someone under 21 is illegal.

2. They know that it can be legal to sell to a person under 21, but prefer to not do so.

Good luck.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    darthmord wrote:
    Also, eddyys, in a private sale context, be prepared for the possibility that some private sellers will elect not to sell to an 18-year-old. Their position will usuallybe grounded inone of these two bases:

2. They know that it can be legal to sell to a person under 21, but prefer to not do so.

Good luck.
    Yup, I've come across some people like that. If it's option two, I have no problem, it's their choice. If it's option 1, I educate them on it (one time it was on the spot, but I was prepared and had the applicable laws in writing).

Post imported post

Check the Trading Post or the Green Sheet. Sold at most convenience stores.
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Good luck.
    Yup, I've come across some people like that. If it's option two, I have no problem, it's their choice. If it's option 1, I educate them on it (one time it was on the spot, but I was prepared and had the applicable laws in writing).
    Well, kudos to you. Overcoming base No. 1 can only be done byacceptance ofthe guy's ignorance and theneducation. Being prepared to educate the seller shows you're ready to do business in a business-like fashion. And you can save the deal on a gun you want.

Post imported post

HankT wrote:
    nova wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Good luck.
    Well, kudos to you. Overcoming base No. 1 can only be done byacceptance ofthe guy's ignorance and theneducation. Being prepared to educate the seller shows you're ready to do business in a business-like fashion. And you can save the deal on a gun you want.

Well, not all of them are ignorant, just uninformed. I feel the difference is that uninformed people accept the truth and go with it, ignornat people don't care and won't change their beliefs. Same thing can be said for those unaware of OC and gun rights in general.

Post imported post

nova wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    nova wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Good luck.

Well, not all of them are ignorant, just uninformed. I feel the difference is that uninformed people accept the truth and go with it, ignornat people don't care and won't change their beliefs. Same thing can be said for those unaware of OC and gun rights in general.
    Definition of ignorant:
    • uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; "an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group ...
    • uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
    • unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge; "he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"
    Same difference.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    Awesome, thanks. I have been wanting to buy my friends desert eagle .50 for show and thinking about getting a Glock for a OC.
    What do you mean, "for show"? I'm wondering about your maturity right now and whether you are really ready to own a firearm by that statement. We don't own or carry guns to show off to others.

Post imported post

kaiheitai17 wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    Awesome, thanks.* I have been wanting to buy my friends desert eagle .50 for show and thinking about getting a Glock for a OC.
    What do you mean, "for show"?* I'm wondering about your maturity right now and whether you are really ready to own a firearm by that statement.* We don't own or carry guns to show off to others.*
    I love to show off my Desert Eagle .50 stainless to others (Ok, so it's my uncle's and I'm just holding for him right now, but other people don't need to know that). :P

Post imported post

Hendu024 wrote:
    nova wrote:
    HankT wrote:
    nova wrote:
    HankT wrote:

Good luck.

Definition of ignorant:
    • uneducated in general; lacking knowledge or sophistication; "an ignorant man"; "nescient of contemporary literature"; "an unlearned group ...
    • uneducated in the fundamentals of a given art or branch of learning; lacking knowledge of a specific field; "she is ignorant of quantum mechanics"; "he is musically illiterate"
    • unaware because of a lack of relevant information or knowledge; "he was completely ignorant of the circumstances"; "an unknowledgeable assistant"; "his rudeness was unwitting"
    Same difference.
    and with that, I'm walking away from this thread.

Post imported post

For Show = As in everyone once in a long while I will go to the range with some friends.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Thanks for clearing that up.

Post imported post

What about him OCing said pistol, what is the age limitation on that.

Post imported post

papabear wrote:
    What about him OCing said pistol, what is the age limitation on that.
    In Virgina it's 18 and above.

Post imported post

I thought so ,Just wanted to make double sure.Thanx..

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    Sold at most convenience stores.
    wow..guns are sold at convenience stores now? now that IS convenient!
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast