• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AK Gun Stores

FunkTrooper

imported post

So my friend went to AK shooters supply and he and the owner (can't think of his name) started talking about gun laws the owner convinced my friend that you should only use the same defensive ammunition as the police and that their is a federal law prohibiting any form of carry into a bank.

My friend still doesn't believe me that there is no federal law banning guns in banks (even after I walked into my bank OCing to prove it)

Anyone else have similar problems?

Flintlock

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
So my friend went to AK shooters supply and he and the owner (can't think of his name) started talking about gun laws the owner convinced my friend that you should only use the same defensive ammunition as the police and that their is a federal law prohibiting any form of carry into a bank.

My friend still doesn't believe me that there is no federal law banning guns in banks (even after I walked into my bank OCing to prove it)

I have heard the guys at that store say the same thing about open carry. After that, I don't give them the time of day. They are clueless. Actually, I find that to be the case in most gun shops I have frequented over the years. Word of warning: They are not lawyers, nor are the police, nor am I.

But I can read.

This is the threadfrom thisforum where I argued with a concealed carry permit trainer here in Alaska about bank carry...

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum9/31882.html

Some people will just never get it. FDIC is insurance. It doesn't make the bank a federal building. That's would be like saying that because I have home owners insurance, State Farm reallyownsmy house.

Lastly, I have never heard anyone make a compelling argument against bank carry. All they say it that "it is a federal law." "It's FDIC Insured..."

I always say, "Well, which Federal Law?" "Have fun trying to find it." FDIC is not a law, it's an insurance corporation.

Nobody usuallyresponds after that.

eXistenZ

imported post

In my opinion more mis-information comes from Gun Shops than anywhere else. You may saythe internet is the first but gun shops were around first so I'm giving them the benefit of being the longest running morons. When I actually here someone behind a gun shop counter give good advice and actually knows what their talking about I'm always amazed.

imported post

I don't really open carry, I carry a FNH FiveseveN so it pretty obvious on a paddle holster, so [almost] open carry. I carry everywhere, banks included. As I always say "unless there is a metal detector then I carry". I carry at ANC; on the non-secure side. The only reason, (even if I were super drunk -which I don't get) I would pull my weapon is the same reason I carry one every day.

- http://www.professionaladventurer.com

akhunter3

imported post

I've had issues with that same shop, don't even bother stopping in there anymore. I've also had a buddy tell me about getting screwed out of a gun. Payed and never got the gun or a refund.

No desire to ever stop in there now.

On the other hand, I was in Mountain View Sports this last week and those guys were both knowledgeable and helpful, best shop I've been to in quite awhile.

Jon

FMCDH

imported post

The problem comes with the pressure gun store employees have to talk about the subjects that their job touches. Many assume (wrongly) that if a person works in a gun store, they must know everything about guns and read about the laws of firearms ownership and carrying.

People strike up conversations with them and they feel they need to appear knowledgeable as to not embarrass themselves so they just make things up on the spot, or make guesses based upon popular myths.

Many when I have called their bluff and even corrected them with number and verse defend their statements adamantly.

Its amazing how many people I have meet that work in gun stores that are gun enthusiasts and can talk models and statistics all day long, but don't know thing one about the laws governing the ownership or carrying of those firearms. Many don't even carry outside of the store.

I just end up telling the poor confused customer to look it up for themselves.

Strangely, I have gotten dirty looks by the employees, but never kicked out of a store for correcting them.

Fully half of all gun shop employees I have met and talked to were under the belief that OC was illegal in Washington. :quirky

((sigh)) And the education of America never ends.

NCjones

imported post

People strike up conversations with them and they feel they need to appear knowledgeable as to not embarrass themselves so they just make things up on the spot, or make guesses based upon popular myths.

SOUNDS LIKE RADIO SHACK!

Kimberguy

imported post

browsing through, i couldn't help but notice this thread. I have run into the situation before where people(including a bank employee once) that there is a federal law making banks a CEZ(criminal empowerment zone) after talking to some people, what i found is that the common believe is that because they are FDIC insured, they are to be treated as federal property, much like your post office or local military base. this is simply not the case. Sorry for jumping into your thread... just thought i would drop in my two cents.
semper fi
kimberguy

RSOV

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:

There is something to be said about using the same brand of ammunition of the local law enforcement, if for no other reason than when you go to court it will be harder for the prosecution to say that you were using "crazy man killing ammo for your gun" or something in legalese to that extent... when your attorney can turn around and state that you were using the same ammunition type and brand that law enforcement uses. That's the same reason that the guard company I was with did the same rifle/shotgun/pistol qualification as the state troopers, as well as the same ammunition. They then are in effect trying to take on "the establishment" when the training for use as well as the ammunition used can't be under question anymore.

FunkTrooper

imported post

RSOV wrote:
FunkTrooper wrote:

There is something to be said about using the same brand of ammunition of the local law enforcement, if for no other reason than when you go to court it will be harder for the prosecution to say that you were using "crazy man killing ammo for your gun" or something in legalese to that extent... when your attorney can turn around and state that you were using the same ammunition type and brand that law enforcement uses. That's the same reason that the guard company I was with did the same rifle/shotgun/pistol qualification as the state troopers, as well as the same ammunition. They then are in effect trying to take on "the establishment" when the training for use as well as the ammunition used can't be under question anymore.
They could also flip that to say you were using the same lethal rounds that should only be trusted to the boys in blue, or even try to say you were a wannabe cop either way it doesn't matter as long as you have a good lawyer on your side.

boredstudent

imported post

NCjones wrote:

SOUNDS LIKE RADIO SHACK!

I have meet one Radio Shack employee I liked, because I was wondering about credit card readers and what it would say when you swiped it. (along with state IDs) he took me over to their sales computer, said open anything you can type in. then swiped his credit card and you see all his information that on the front of it basically copied to the screen, same for your license.

Other than that, yes most of them are full of crap, and their word really isn't worth the air they waste to speak.
People really need to learn there is NOTHING wrong with saying "I have no idea what your talking about" or let me grab so and so because they might know. Which is why I try to mention if it personal experience or something I heard that needs to be verified.

pullnshoot25

imported post

professionaladventurer wrote:
I don't really open carry, I carry a FNH FiveseveN so it pretty obvious on a paddle holster, so [almost] open carry. I carry everywhere, banks included. As I always say "unless there is a metal detector then I carry". I carry at ANC; on the non-secure side. The only reason, (even if I were super drunk -which I don't get) I would pull my weapon is the same reason I carry one every day.

- http://www.professionaladventurer.com
Metal detectors at banks seem to be pretty much "feel-good" measures where I am at. I have been through 1-2 of them and my brother has been through them as well.