• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What are the laws for long guns?

wewd

imported post

Yes. You can also CC any long gun, no permit necessary. Still must be unloaded, though.

PC 12025 (concealed carry law) only applies to handguns, revolvers or other concealable firearms, which is any gun with a barrel shorter than 16" that is not otherwise classified as a handgun or revolver. That would mean that you could not CC a pistol gripped, registered AOW shotgun with a 12" barrel (actually legal in CA, believe it or not) without a permit.

PC 12031 (loaded weapon ban) applies to all firearms.

wolfeinstein

imported post

Of course they are legally owned i bought both in cali from a dealer! Where are the codes for a long gun that i can read up on!

I know assault weapons are illegal in cali but with my 10 rd mag with a bullet button makes it a legal long gun!

tall_tree

imported post

I often read that non-concealable firearms like rifles and shotguns are allowed to be OC'ed within 1000ft of a K-12 school. Why does the 2009 California edition of "How to own a Gun & Stay out of Jail" contradict this? On page 75 it states:

Rifles, shotguns, and other guns that are not capable of being concealed on the person, while they are being lawfully transported in a motor vehicle. In a K-12 school zone, they must be in a locked container or in a locked gun rack on a motor vehicle.

wewd

imported post

Probably due to the federal law, which doesn't make any distinction between types of firearms as the California law does. CA PC 626.9 states: "This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person, in accordance with state law."

The federal law is unconstitutional, and was declared such by the Supreme Court. Their ruling made it very clear that Congress has no authority to regulate how and where firearms may be carried or transported within a state. Congress re-passed the almost exact same law, with a few more lines referring to Congress's power to regulate interstate commerce, which SCOTUS already ruled has nothing at all to do with the carrying of firearms, so the law now stands in violation of the Supreme Court's ruling and would not stand up in court. As far as I know, nobody has been charged or convicted under the revised law.

I would personally not worry at all about the federal law, but you would have to make that decision for yourself.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

tall_tree wrote:
I often read that non-concealable firearms like rifles and shotguns are allowed to be OC'ed within 1000ft of a K-12 school. Why does the 2009 California edition of "How to own a Gun & Stay out of Jail" contradict this? On page 75 it states:

Rifles, shotguns, and other guns that are not capable of being concealed on the person, while they are being lawfully transported in a motor vehicle. In a K-12 school zone, they must be in a locked container or in a locked gun rack on a motor vehicle.
The author is human, and is probably erring on the side of caution when advising on a topic on which he is not completely informed. I think it's amiable that he gets 99% or more of the stuff right, so I would cut him a break for this small error.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

wewd wrote:
Probably due to the federal law...

...I would personally not worry at all about the federal law, but you would have to make that decision for yourself.
I'm just waiting for someone to be charged under the new law. If they get a good attorney, they're gonna be made very rich... and that's just what they would get out of the officer(s) and federal attorney(s) that were willing to prosecute the case.

Bottom line: it's clearly settled law. Any gov't employee trying to enforce this law is putting their neck out as much as if they were trying to enforce a newly passed "seperate but equal" school segregation law. The Supremes already said, "No!"

Nick Justice

imported post

An AR-15 and an AK-47??

Be Very Careful!! Sounds like you have what may be classified as "Assault Weapons" underCA law.

HOWEVER, If they havenon-detachable, 10-round-or -lessmagazines (so far undefined by the courts), they are not "assault weapons. and the regular long gun rules would apply. BUT, you will probably be FELONY STOPPED

Penal Code Sec 12285 specifically restricts the use of lawfullyregistered "Assault Weapons".

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a
.50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of
the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is
first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other
property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with
the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private
club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing
shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business
license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed
pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational
project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted
under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a
nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or
promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a
firearm described in Section 12276, 12276.1, 12276.5, or 12278, is
specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between
any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed
gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for
servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if
the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.

pullnshoot25

imported post

Nick Justice wrote:
An AR-15 and an AK-47??

Be Very Careful!! Sounds like you have what may be classified as "Assault Weapons" underCA law.

HOWEVER, If they havenon-detachable, 10-round-or -lessmagazines (so far undefined by the courts), they are not "assault weapons. and the regular long gun rules would apply. BUT, you will probably be FELONY STOPPED

Penal Code Sec 12285 specifically restricts the use of lawfullyregistered "Assault Weapons".

(c) A person who has registered an assault weapon or registered a
.50 BMG rifle under this section may possess it only under any of
the following conditions unless a permit allowing additional uses is
first obtained under Section 12286:
(1) At that person's residence, place of business, or other
property owned by that person, or on property owned by another with
the owner's express permission.
(2) While on the premises of a target range of a public or private
club or organization organized for the purpose of practicing
shooting at targets.
(3) While on a target range that holds a regulatory or business
license for the purpose of practicing shooting at that target range.

(4) While on the premises of a shooting club which is licensed
pursuant to the Fish and Game Code.
(5) While attending any exhibition, display, or educational
project which is about firearms and which is sponsored by, conducted
under the auspices of, or approved by a law enforcement agency or a
nationally or state recognized entity that fosters proficiency in, or
promotes education about, firearms.
(6) While on publicly owned land if the possession and use of a
firearm described in Section 12276, 12276.1, 12276.5, or 12278, is
specifically permitted by the managing agency of the land.
(7) While transporting the assault weapon or .50 BMG rifle between
any of the places mentioned in this subdivision, or to any licensed
gun dealer, as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 12290, for
servicing or repair pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 12290, if
the assault weapon is transported as required by Section 12026.1.
It is probably a Cal-legal rifle.

Thanks for your great first post. :)