• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Open Carry

darkendlight88

imported post

well i just moved from southern california to phoenix. let me just say i LOVE this state! within a week of living here i purchased two guns and no 10 day waiting period. i wanted to get my ccw but being 5'7 120lbs it became impossible to me to succesfully conceal my ruger p95 and much less my dan wesson 6" model 715. i decided to try open carry. i wasnt sure how LEO would react because im 21 but look pretty young. i was a bit nervous walking up to the walmart doors. being from california i felt like i was doing something illegal. i did get a couple stares and some people pointing but for the most part that was it. ive been open carrying now for about a week and i absolutely love it. i actually feel like i have rights as an american citizen. i have successfully open carried in walmart,cabelas,frys, and a couple of other little stores. the only places i saw signs were at the metro center mall and the arrowhead mall, but i was able to carry in the paradise valley mall. anyways sorry for the long post, im just excited to feel free and safe.

r6-rider

imported post

i also came from CA, been carrying since the day i turned 18. havent had any real trouble and for the most part no one cares. after a while you pretty much forget you have it on and just carry without worry

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Welcome to Arizona. Yeah... I had a friend come visit 'n I lent him a pistol so he could experience 'freedom'. He said the same thing about feelin' almost guilty open carrying in 'public'. (He's from Maryland where you can hardly get a CCW much less OC)

GF

imported post

Today was the first time that I actually sat down and read some of the postings from CA. Man, oh man, that must suck so bad. I've always lived in AZ, and I 'gotta say I love it more and more everyday.

rmbrems

imported post

For me, I never felt truly comfortable OC UNTIL my 1st encounter with law enforcement while OC. Fortunately, the LEO I spoke with was VERY pro 2A. AZ for me has been really good for OC. most cops I have encountered while OC or CC have been very knowledgeable about the law and my rights. That said, make sure you know your rights better than they do- there are always young-punk recruit cops from kommiefornia or (illinois, wisconsin, maryland, or new york) that feel that "their badge+their opinion = law".

The best safety is the device between your ears.

darkendlight88

imported post

Well yesterday i walked by two LEO and both just looked down at my firearm and continued what they were doing. So im getting more and more comfortable. Im really interested in the OC dinners that ive been reading about. Anyone know where and when the next one is?

GF

imported post

Date of dinner is Oct. 17, 2009 @ 6pm (1800 hrs)

location is:

Golden Corral
420 N Dysart Rd
Goodyear AZ

I copied that from kenpoprofessor's post.

PavePusher

imported post

Welcome, dark.

I suggest (if you haven't already) getting a CC anyway, this makes certain parts of firearms ownership easier (some forms of transport, access to some places). I wish it weren't that way, but until AZ turns to Vermont-rules, it is what it is.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

darkendlight88 wrote:
Well yesterday i walked by two LEO and both just looked down at my firearm and continued what they were doing. So im getting more and more comfortable. Im really interested in the OC dinners that ive been reading about. Anyone know where and when the next one is?

Welcome to AZ and the new religion of freedom. I came from 21 years of oppression in CA as well, finally had enough and got the hell outta there. Didn't have the same apprehension OCing but had that feeling the first time I bought a gun FTF in front of Costco, from a cop no less :cool:.

The OC dinners are organized gathering for those of us wishing to express our rights and to ensure they stay intact or gaining ground. We look forward to you coming if you do, just make sure to introduce yourself to us.:D

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde