• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC/CC in Washington NC Parks?

Dreamer

imported post

I spent a little time online and down at the local library last week researching whether or not the city of Washington had any city ordinances forbidding firearms on City Park property. Mainly this was for 2 reasons: 1) I am interested in putting together some OC Meet/Cookouts for the area and we have some REALLY nice parks here in Washington, and 2) I spend a lot of time downtown on the weekends with my family, and the waterfront (where my wife likes to take walks) is technically a public park.

I could find nothing prohibiting CC/OC on city park land in the ordinances, and there are no signs posted. But just to be sure I decidded to call the City Manager's office and see if they could give me a definitive answer.

They refered me to the Assistant Chief of Police, and I thought "oh boy, here we go..."

I got his voice mail, and left a message outlining my concerns--that I held an NC CHP, and frequented the parks in the evenings with my family, and wanted to be sure it was OK.

He got back to me after about an hour, and was VERY polite. He admitted that he wasn't 100% sure, but he thought there was nothing prohibiting the carry, openly or concealed, on City Park property, as long as it wasn't ALSO a playground area attached to a school. He said he'd research it more fully and get back to me.

Two days later, he called back, and I missed the call, but he left a very polite and informative voice mail (so I have a recording of his call!) He said in his voicemail that after reviewing the city ordinances, and consulting with the City's legal dept., that in fact, it is perfectly legal to carry, openly or concealed (with a CHP) on Washington City Park property.

I'm going to visit City hall next week, and see if I can get him to put this in writing for me, for my files (and to scan and post here).

All in all, this was very productive and a polite, rational exchange. This particular LEO was very professional, and seemed to understand NC law very well, and although he didn't openly say it, his demeanor seemed to suggest that he is somewhat sympathetic to the cause.

Cheers for Washington NC!!!

Now, if only we could get more of the local businesses to be so rational, and if only we could get our Representatives in Raleigh to abolish the "Restaurant Ban" and "College Ban" in NC.

NC may have a "Gold Star" rating with regards to OC/CC, but there are some issues that we've still got our work cut out for us on, folks!

Be polite, be active, and be legal...