Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reckless Driving + CCW?

Post imported post

Well, was wondering what a misdemeanor for "reckless driving" would do to my chances of getting a CCW? I was just speeding. Im due in court on the 20th and I would like to know if there will be anything besides an enormous fine and 6 points.

Thanks.

Post imported post

Doesn't do anything. I got the same thing in 2008, no problems. It's not drug related, and it's not a felony.

Post imported post

While you probably will get by with no jail time this is an offense which can result in jail time up to 12 months and/or fines upto $2500.

As the previous poster pointed out it does nothing as far as you rights to own a firearm or possession of a CHP, but is a class 1 misdemeanor and goes on your permanent record. Which could effect jobs in the future. Also it will be on your driving record for 11 years and is viewed by most insurance companies as a DUI.

I would suggest if you have not already consult a lawyer. Depending on your driving record they will most likely get this reduced or work out some kind of deal. Yeah seams crooked that you have to have a lawyer for this but that is just the way it is do not try and fight this yourself.

A wreckless driving lawyer generally get $400-$600 for a case, but that varies also with location. Case in point I remember hearing Fairfax lawyers charge a good bit more but I do not know for certain.

I hate to sound like the lawyer web pages but I do know quite a few people that have been bitten by this without knowing what all it entails. Essentially they had no clue that it carried the offenses it did and just thought it was like any old speeding ticket and just went to court and found out later that it was not. Some tried fighting the tickets themselves and I do not know of one success yet other than getting a lawyer and ponying up the cash.

Just a thought and bit of advice.

Post imported post

I do have a lawyer and I have a clean driving record so Im hoping I can get it dropped down to improper driving which is a smaller fine and 3 points. And yes, Fairfax it costs 1200 for a lawyer. :O

Post imported post

Wow, the rules sure seem to have changed since my last citation!
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post imported post

Had a reckless in 2000 and I got my CHP a few years later. Don't worry about it.

Also it has not affected my job prospects. I've been a gov't contractor for about 10yrs now. I've worked at a couple of pretty well known entities and they haven't cared. I just disclose it on my background checks. It's a reckless driving charge, it's not like I killed or robbed anyone. Also my auto insuarance didn't go up and the sky didn't fall.

I paid $50 fine and court costs and this was without a lawyer. Got 6 points and it was there for about 7yrs. At one point in my life I had -12 points and was warned that one more ticket would get me a suspended license. I'm at +5 points so I've turned things around

Post imported post

Yah, since I have had my license for less then 18 months, the state of Maryland will make me go to driver improvement anyways. Fascists Bastards. Kind of sucks when your driving a BMW M5. It happens to me way to often. I usually get off with a warning but this time i got slapped by the long arm of the law.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:
    Had a reckless in 2000 and I got my CHP a few years later. Don't worry about it.

Also it has not affected my job prospects. I've been a gov't contractor for about 10yrs now. I've worked at a couple of pretty well known entities and they haven't cared. I just disclose it on my background checks. It's a reckless driving charge, it's not like I killed or robbed anyone. Also my auto insuarance didn't go up and the sky didn't fall.

I paid $50 fine and court costs and this was without a lawyer. Got 6 points and it was there for about 7yrs. At one point in my life I had -12 points and was warned that one more ticket would get me a suspended license. I'm at +5 points so I've turned things around
    I got a speeding ticket in 1968 or 69...:P

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    I got a speeding ticket in 1968 or 69...:P

Slow it down there, speedracer!

James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    I do have a lawyer and I have a clean driving record so Im hoping I can get it dropped down to improper driving which is a smaller fine and 3 points.* And yes, Fairfax it costs 1200 for a lawyer. :O
    good - and that's a good deal - I charge more than that for a morning in the Fairfax General District Court.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar

Post imported post

user wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    I do have a lawyer and I have a clean driving record so Im hoping I can get it dropped down to improper driving which is a smaller fine and 3 points. And yes, Fairfax it costs 1200 for a lawyer. :O
    good - and that's a good deal - I charge more than that for a morning in the Fairfax General District Court.
    Whatever happened to Pro Bono?:what:

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    Yah, since I have had my license for less then 18 months, the state of Maryland will make me go to driver improvement anyways. Fascists Bastards. Kind of sucks when your driving a BMW M5. It happens to me way to often. I usually get off with a warning but this time i got slapped by the long arm of the law.
    Yeah, that definitely sucks to be driving a BMW M5 after only having your license for less than 18 months ...I'll weep for you tonight when I go get into my 1995 Suburban with 200,000 miles

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    Whatever happened to Pro Bono?
    It got overshadowed by Pro Mihi.

(No offense intended to User. Just making a general comment.)
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

eyesopened wrote:

I work with others that have RD tickets and work for a defense contractor. These individuals have clearances and no it did not effect them but still better to avoid if you can. Now if you had to go for say a TS-(add extra acronyms for above top secret levels) it might be a different story.

Also as far as insurance one individual was dropped the other was paying almost 3 times what he was, and another nothing happend with his insurance so it is a turkey shoot.

But this is getting away from my point of trying to get it reduced or what not. User what is your take on a RD charge on record. It would be interesting to see your take.

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    e39 or e60?

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

peter nap wrote:
    he died in a skiing accident
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

Citizen wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    It got overshadowed by Pro Mihi.*

(No offense intended to User.* Just making a general comment.)
    No offense taken. Perfectly legitimate question. For those who don't do Latin, "pro bono" is short for "pro bono publico", "for the public good", and "pro mihi" is, well, "for to-me" ("mihi" is used as a direct object), which I take to mean, "for my own good".

Answer: I spent the first ten years or so of my practice doing mostly what I called, "defending the criminally indigent." Part of my payment was lots of trial experience I wouldn't have gotten any other way. And I still do a pretty good bit of it, but not from the "court appointed" rolls. I don't do more than one at a time, but I take cases that are too hard for other attorneys to deal with. I take my payment in such cases in the opportunity to explain to the client why orthodox "Christianity" is about the perpetuation of self-absorption as a means of social control through manipulation of appetites and feelings of shame, fear, and guilt; and why what Jesus actually did was a prophetic demonstration of God's unconditional love for each of us just as we are and whatever we've been.

Aside from that, I've got a family and a mortgage to feed; it's a relatively high overhead kind of work; I worked pretty hard to get so as to be able to do it; and as I see it, I work for a living. It requires a level of intensity and diligence not required in ordinary jobs, and there's no room for error in protecting other people's lives and property. I think I'm pretty good at it, and that people who hire me get what they pay for. (Of course, people who don't hire me get what they pay for, too.)

I don't keep up a really busy schedule, so I can devote as much as is required to each case I take on. However, I don't have walnut panelling on my walls or a flock of hot and cold running paralegals and secretaries, and I generally don't dress up unless I'm going to court. That means that people who hire me aren't going to see the suit and tie thing, but they will get my attention in a serious way before the day they have to show up for court.

So I'm charging Fairfax rates in Fauquier County. But then, the kinds of cases I take run me all over the place, and very few of the cases I handle require me to go to court in Fauquier. I take cases in which people are charged with something they really aren't guilty of, whether civil or criminal, and where they want to go to trial and win, and are willing to do what is necessary to defend themselves.

In my experience, most folks feel bad about themselves, and go to a plea-bargain factory lawyer who'll settle the case, regardless of whether they're actually guilty of what it says in the indictment or complaint, because they don't realize that it doesn't matter what else they've done or how badly they feel about themselves (shame, fear, guilt), because the only question that will be before the court is whether they're guilty of the specific thing that is charged.

But then, I don't represent most folks. I don't even maintain a conventional office anymore. When I did, I kept getting people who had pretty much the same agenda:

1) I want "justice";
    2) I want it on my terms;
    3) I want it now;
    4) I want it to be free and easy; and
    5) I want you to get it for me because of your selfless dedication to the cause of "justice".

I find that charging a respectable sum unconditionally tends to keep out the people who think I'm some kind of monk whose only purpose in life is to make the legal system be what they want it to be. And when I had that office in Fairfax, I found that one could step outside and throw a rock blindfolded and hit a lawyer. The place is crawling with 'em. So I don't have a problem limiting my access. Anyone who wants a less expensive lawyer can find one fairly easily.

I'll bet my annual income is less than what at least half of y'all make, too.

Oh, and "Virginia Legal Defense" is not the Legal Services Corporation of Virginia. I'm going to stop using that name, too much confusion.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Post imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    e39 or e60?
    Lest we forget the e28 and e34...when "driving machines" were much closer to bare bones driving machines and further from "hit this button for a hot shave", "hit this button to have the car drive for you", etc.

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    he died in a skiing accident
    Hah! I laughed.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

user wrote:
    Citizen wrote:
    peter nap wrote:
    It got overshadowed by Pro Mihi.

(No offense intended to User. Just making a general comment.)
    SNIP No offense taken...
    Good info., thanks.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    Fairfax it costs 1200 for a lawyer. :O
    That is 120 boxes of ammo :what:

Although in Fairfax, if you don't show up to traffic court with a lawyer, there is a word for you:

GUILTY.

Post imported post

e39. I love it. Something about the styling and the fact that if you press the pedal you better be holding onto something. Especially when you hit 60 in 4.5 seconds and 100 in 7.

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    e39. I love it. Something about the styling and the fact that if you press the pedal you better be holding onto something. Especially when you hit 60 in 4.5 seconds and 100 in 7.
    :what:

Sounds like a fun ride!
    "If I know that I am headed for a fight, I want something larger with more power, preferably crew-served.
    However, like most of us, as I go through my daily life, I carry something a bit more compact, with a lot less power."
    (unknown 'gun~writer')

Remington 1911 R1 (Back to Basics)
    SERPA retention or concealed...

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
    (Borrowed from "The Perfect Day" by LTC Dave Grossman)

Post imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
    eddyys wrote:
    :what:

Sounds like a fun ride!
    Or, the start of a thread.....like this one.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

Post imported post

eddyys wrote:
    Sweet! I'm working on buying an e36 ///M3 right now. I haven't found the perfect one yet and am still debating about OBD1 with the S50 or OBD2 with the S52. Decisions decisions. Wish I had the money for an M5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast