• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-OC article from SNG

socalserf

imported post

Clayton Crammer writes a column for Shotgun News.
This is his latest. It should have been titled "Gun Owner Hide your Shame!"
I'm writing the SNG to voice my anger and ask that Crammer be ditched like a smelly diaper.

I have long felt that open carry, if you have some other choice, is a political mistake, and for this very reason. There are lots of Americans who have discomfort or misgivings about gun ownership. They may know that lots of Americans have concealed handgun permits, and that they are probably walking the streets with people that are armed. But it isn't obvious; the gun isnít proclaiming its presence. The visceral reaction that some Americans have to seeing people openly armed is not going to win you any friends–and may turn some people against gun ownership.

Let me draw an analogy that a lot of you may find unpleasant. About 3% of Americans are homosexuals. I don't approve of homosexuality, for a variety of reasons. I know that a pretty sizeable fraction of Americans share my views on this. We know what homosexuals are doing behind closed doors, and we generally accept that, however much we disapprove of that conduct, it isn't the government's job to tell consenting adults what they can do in private. Most homosexuals in America appear to know this; like you and me, they are more interested in living their lives than they are in making political points.

http://www.shotgunnews.com/cramer/

socalserf

imported post

socalserf wrote:
I'm writing the SNG to voice my anger and ask that Crammer be ditched like a smelly diaper.

"I have long felt that open carry, if you have some other choice, is a political mistake, and for this very reason. There are lots of Americans who have discomfort or misgivings about gun ownership. They may know that lots of Americans have concealed handgun permits, and that they are probably walking the streets with people that are armed. But it isn't obvious; the gun isnít proclaiming its presence. The visceral reaction that some Americans have to seeing people openly armed is not going to win you any friends–and may turn some people against gun ownership.

Let me draw an analogy that a lot of you may find unpleasant. About 3% of Americans are homosexuals. I don't approve of homosexuality, for a variety of reasons. I know that a pretty sizeable fraction of Americans share my views on this. We know what homosexuals are doing behind closed doors, and we generally accept that, however much we disapprove of that conduct, it isn't the government's job to tell consenting adults what they can do in private. Most homosexuals in America appear to know this; like you and me, they are more interested in living their lives than they are in making political points."

B

Bikenut

imported post

socalserf wrote:

I have long felt that open carry, if you have some other choice, is a political mistake, and for this very reason. There are lots of Americans who have discomfort or misgivings about gun ownership. They may know that lots of Americans have concealed handgun permits, and that they are probably walking the streets with people that are armed. But it isn't obvious; the gun isnít proclaiming its presence. The visceral reaction that some Americans have to seeing people openly armed is not going to win you any friends–and may turn some people against gun ownership.

Let me draw an analogy that a lot of you may find unpleasant. About 3% of Americans are homosexuals. I don't approve of homosexuality, for a variety of reasons. I know that a pretty sizeable fraction of Americans share my views on this. We know what homosexuals are doing behind closed doors, and we generally accept that, however much we disapprove of that conduct, it isn't the government's job to tell consenting adults what they can do in private. Most homosexuals in America appear to know this; like you and me, they are more interested in living their lives than they are in making political points.

We also know what homosexuals are doing marching in the streets with signs demanding the other 97% of the population not only accept but condone what they are doing.

We also know that homosexuals introduce laws that require that other 97% to condone what they are doing.

We also know that homosexuality is being taught in schools to our children... another demand that the other 97% not only condone but learn to participate in what they are doing.

And those tactics are working very well for them.

So.... wouldn't the same tactics.... ie open carry... do the same for guns as it is doing for the homosexual's sex lives/life styles?

The author of that article doesn't have a clue. Just another person arrogantly assuming that what they think is the one true grail so everyone should instantly recognize the purity of those convictions and meekly fall in line.

Judging from his article Clayton Crammer is, in my opinion, another .... DOLT!

WheelGun

imported post

He's trying to draw an analogy between:

1.Respectful, law abiding gun owners openly armed to defend themselves and theirfamilies as compared to:

2.The flamboyant, AIDS carrying, over-the-top participants in the Greenwich Village Halloween Parade/Gay Pride Parade/frequenters of Central Park's Ramble and the weeds behind interstate highway rest areas?

And using#2 above as to why#1 above should remainlow key?

Are you kidding me?

Gordie

imported post

Good thing that George Washington,Martin Luther King Jr., and every other person who has brought about change in their country for the better, wasn't afraid of offending others who disagreed with them.