• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on a plane

TylerEMT

imported post

I'm taking the journey and getting my private pilot's cert. Anyone have any experience with guns on planes? I'd think the FFA wouldn't like it too much, but not sure if they could stop you. Private pilots get on the same tarmac as the commercial planes, but I've yet to be searched...

Notso

Campaign Veteran
imported post

From what I understand, the feds are only concerned about keeping guns from passing through their checkpoints. All other entrances into airports arecontrolled bystate statutes. A couple of years ago, the state of AZ was attempting to get legislation passed that would make it illegal to bringa gun into an airport via the 'back' entrances(used by contractors and such), but not sure what happened with that. I know a lot of people that go hunting, travelingin their small planes and carry firearms all the time.

Dragonflydf

imported post

if it is your plane, you can do what ever you want. I have flown into Pinetop to go shooting and had close to a dozen rifles in my plane.

A private plane is just likea private car, it is yours and you can carry what ever you want in it. The FAA has no say in the matter.I am a private pilot as well as a A&P and IA.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Dragonflydf wrote:
if it is your plane, you can do what ever you want. I have flown into Pinetop to go shooting and had close to a dozen rifles in my plane.

A private plane is just likea private car, it is yours and you can carry what ever you want in it. The FAA has no say in the matter.I am a private pilot as well as a A&P and IA.

I carry and fly in VA. My only concern would be if I was armed in a SIDA area airside at an air carrier airport in VA. Just know the laws, and carry a digital audio recorder.

carry on.

ed

Dragonflydf

imported post

When I had my experimental, I carried a Charter Arms AR-7 in it. I glassed in mounts just for it in the aft fuselage, just behind the seat backs.