• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Milwukee LEO Dragged by ca /suspect

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

http://www.wkowtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11286575
MILWAUKEE (WKOW) -- An off-duty Milwaukee police officer trying to stop a fleeing robbery suspect was dragged 90 feet before shooting the man.
Authorities say the officer was at home Thursday around 10:30p.m.when he saw a man enter his garage.

The officer grabbed his badge and gun and confronted the suspect, identifying himself as a police officer.

The suspectjumped into a vehicle and tried to speed away. He dragged the officer more than 90 feet before the officer was able to break free and fire his gun, hitting the man in the hand.

The officer was treated for his injuries. He has been placed on administrative duty while the incident is investigated.

Police found the suspect about an hour later and arrested him. It turns out the 52-year-old man was on parole for burglary.
So now, because a LEO was injured by an automobile, will they (LEO) track back to the dealer that sold the car, and then push to have that dealer shut down?

OR

Milwaukee PD is guilty of double standard in law enforcement. Cars prove just as dangerous if not more so, but they only want the firearms off the street, why? Will any real reporter ask this question? Why not?

ROOK_WI

imported post

This does appear to havetaken placein a School Zone - and there is no Castle Doctrine in WI so I hope for the officer's sake that the robbery suspect had a weapon - you cannot shoot someone for taking your stuff.The hand wound on the suspect, I wonder if that is an offensive or defensive wound. Seeing as the suspect FLED,the encouter was OVER, why give chase, why the shoot?

This is just bad bad bad. I do see the double standard.

I'm curous to see theBarrett/Flynn spin on this.

pvtschultz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Assuming the LEO did have his badge, would he have been acting in his official capacity?
948.605(2)(b)

[align=left]6. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission warden acting in his or her official capacity; or[/align]

Do you think that the LEO had a beer or two that night after work? Ifin his official capacity, can an LEO consume alcohol? If not, he's a felon if he drank that night and then discharged a firearm in a school zone (Class G felony). This all assumes that he was in a school zone.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

ROOK_WI wrote:
This does appear to havetaken placein a School Zone - and there is no Castle Doctrine in WI so I hope for the officer's sake that the robbery suspect had a weapon - you cannot shoot someone for taking your stuff.The hand wound on the suspect, I wonder if that is an offensive or defensive wound. Seeing as the suspect FLED,the encouter was OVER, why give chase, why the shoot?

This is just bad bad bad. I do see the double standard.

I'm curous to see theBarrett/Flynn spin on this.
Let's be fair. School zone? Why is this relevant? The cop was on his own property when it bagan. The moment he grabbed his badge and gun he was acting in his official capacity.

Right, you don't shoot someone for taking your property. But you certainly might if you are being dragged by a suspect's car.

Why give chase? Because that's what police do, it's their job. This guy is a cop. He is expected to chase and apprehend criminals. Non-police are not expected to do that. If you aren't a cop nothing says you cannot chase and apprehend a criminal, although for a number of reasons I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. You don't have an obligation to do so. Police do because it's an essential part of their job.

ROOK_WI

imported post

If it was me, and the threat was retreating & I would have shot (whichI can't) this would be in the paper a whole different way.

I know the officer was doing his thing - more power to him.

I am not law enforcement so I have to look at this as "If it was me..." IfI had lived in a school zone - I would not be able to step off my property if I follow the letter of the law.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

pvtschultz wrote:
Assuming the LEO did have his badge, would he have been acting in his official capacity?
948.605(2)(b)

[align=left]6. By a law enforcement officer or state−certified commission warden acting in his or her official capacity; or[/align]

Do you think that the LEO had a beer or two that night after work? Ifin his official capacity, can an LEO consume alcohol? If not, he's a felon if he drank that night and then discharged a firearm in a school zone (Class G felony). This all assumes that he was in a school zone.
Well, let's just speculate and say he was on the floor drunk (we have no reason to assume he had a drop of alcohol.) Even when drunk you still have a right to defend yourself and your property. If you read the statutes, there are plenty of mitigating circumstances that allow one to, if you will, "break the law" and have a legal defense for doing so.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

ROOK_WI wrote:
I would not be able to step off my property if I follow the letter of the law.
If I saw a serious violent crime being committed on the front steps of a school, the "school zone" law wouldn't enter my mind for a millisecond.

Probably wouldn't enter yours either, or at least I hope it wouldn't.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
ROOK_WI wrote:
If I saw a serious violent crime being committed on the front steps of a school, the "school zone" law wouldn't enter my mind for a millisecond.

Seems to me that is exactly what happened at Columbine. The Police all stayed outside and let the BG's do what they wanted. It wasn't until they were dead that the Police entered. I guess they didn't want to violate the "Gun Free School Zone Law." (Even though there wasn't one at the time.)

If your not willing to do the job then step aside and let people who will do the job have at her. Seems to me some parents could have went home and retrieved some fire arms and took those guys out before they were able to kill as many kids as they did.

But then the police would have arrested the parents for DC! :banghead:

AaronS

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
ROOK_WI wrote:

Seems to me that is exactly what happened at Columbine. The Police all stayed outside and let the BG's do what they wanted. It wasn't until they were dead that the Police entered. I guess they didn't want to violate the "Gun Free School Zone Law." (Even though there wasn't one at the time.)

If your not willing to do the job then step aside and let people who will do the job have at her. Seems to me some parents could have went home and retrieved some fire arms and took those guys out before they were able to kill as many kids as they did.

But then the police would have arrested the parents for DC! :banghead:
A few years back I started to think a few teachers with CCW, would be a very good idea in our schools. The Columbine incident would have been very different if the gym teacher had a firearm on him. Truth be told, I guess we will never know if it would have helped, but I find it very hard to see how it would not have...

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
So now, because a LEO was injured by an automobile, will they (LEO) track back to the dealer that sold the car, and then push to have that dealer shut down?

OR

Milwaukee PD is guilty of double standard in law enforcement. Cars prove just as dangerous if not more so, but they only want the firearms off the street, why? Will any real reporter ask this question? Why not?
Because open carry is legal and cars must be open carried.......:lol: Cars are already registered. Straw purchases are not necessary as anyone can purchase a car. Felons are allowed to own cars.

A little less caffeine in the morning dude......:cool: