• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for thoughts on a new AR...

Constitutionalist

imported post

That is a sweet AR, but that price....OUCH.

If your going to spend that much ever consider the FN SCAR or the Remington/Bushmaster ACR (if it ever gets released to the public)? I think one of those 2 rifles is going to be the Army's replacement for the M4. Special forces troops are already using the FN and LOVE it. I like the idea of doing a quick upper and barrel change and going from 5.56 to .308 in a matter of a few minutes.

But to answer your question..Sorry, can't give you any feedback though, never heard of that company. It would be sweet to open carry that in downtown Madison though!!:celebrate

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SCAR's are tough to get. FN only releases them to dealers who sell a ton of their other guns. How many SCAR's you get is based on how many other FN guns you sell. As to the price, well I'm getting it for less than that ;)

AaronS

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
I'm looking at picking up a new AR and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this specific brand of AR. I'm looking at a POF-USA P-415 Carbine. It can be found here.

http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415169sx.htm

I'm pretty well set on picking this up but thought I'd ask around before I drop some money on it. Any info would be appreciated.

That AR looks fine. Price is a bummer...
Never been a big fan of the .223. But http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5355&cat=1737 (From DPMS) looks to fit my wants... I would have to start reloading though...

Jung

imported post

It looks pretty nice to me. Unless I missed something it doesn't offer much more than a Ruger SR-556 does. Same MSRP but I got it for $1,680 from a local dealer. I'm quite happy with it.

Constitutionalist

imported post

You waiting 20 weeks for it, or buying somewhere other than the website you used to show the picture?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I bought the Bushmaster Gas Piston Rifle found here: http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_BCWA3F16M4-GP.asp I paid about $1,400 for it brand new at a local gun shop. A lot better than the $1,850 listed on the website.

If not the Bushmaster, I'd go with the new Ruger SR-556: http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=5902&return=Y

Both of these also have the new gas piston systems, which make them a lot more reliable. I have never heard of POF, so for the same price, if not a little cheaper, I'd go with Bushmaster or Ruger. Plus Bushmaster or Ruger are probably easier to get a your local gun stores. And since more places will have them, you can shop around and get the best price.

I'm no expert, but I don't like to buy brands I've never heard of :?

ConfederateSoul

imported post

never heard of that brand before,but it looks nice. FWIW, I paid about $900 for my DPMS and couldn't be happier with it. Trigger is a bit heavy, but that's my only complaint.

AaronS

imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
never heard of that brand before,but it looks nice. FWIW, I paid about $900 for my DPMS and couldn't be happier with it. Trigger is a bit heavy, but that's my only complaint.
DPMS might be one of my first choices. Nice stuff, time tested.

Sgt_Habz

imported post

I've got a DPMS LR-308C TAC20. The "classic" is shown here:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=5113&cat=1737

but the TAC20 comes with a free float quad rail instead of classic plastic hand guards. I'm perfectly fine with 5.56 (5 yrs in Marines) but I stand by 7.62x51 NATO as being a more versatile round. If you have the chance to dump that much money in a rifle, get the most "bang" for your buck!

As a side note, I've not heard of pof-usa, but I've heard mostly good things about DPMS, and their prices are tough to beat. Just my 2 cents.

suntzu

imported post

GlockMeisterG21 wrote:
I'm looking at picking up a new AR and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this specific brand of AR. I'm looking at a POF-USA P-415 Carbine. It can be found here.

I'm pretty well set on picking this up but thought I'd ask around before I drop some money on it. Any info would be appreciated.

My advice--buy an AK instead and tactical it up a little. An AK is just a better gun in my opinion, and you won't spend $2000 on it either.

AaronS

imported post

suntzu wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:

My advice--buy an AK instead and tactical it up a little. An AK is just a better gun in my opinion, and you won't spend $2000 on it either.
I can not say that I think the AK is a "better" gun (over a good AR), but I do think the round is a lot better. I have never been a fan of the .223. The 7.62x39 is hard to beat, but I guess the price of an AK is also hard to beat...

suntzu

imported post

AaronS wrote:
suntzu wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:

I can not say that I think the AK is a "better" gun (over a good AR), but I do think the round is a lot better. I have never been a fan of the .223. The 7.62x39 is hard to beat, but I guess the price of an AK is also hard to beat...
To me the AK is "better" because you can shoot the dirtiest 7.62x39 round you can find through it and it more than likely won't jam...unlike the AR platform that has to be cleaned frequently, or you risk failure. The AK while not infallible and can fail--as anything made by the hand of man can and will fail at some point--is less likely to fail when you need it to work.

And yes, the 7.62x39 Russian caliber is hard to beat, as is the 7.62x54. Make it into a tactical platform, complete with collapsible stock, scope, tactical light/laser and a vertical foregrip-- and it is something to behold.

GlockMeisterG21

Campaign Veteran
imported post

suntzu wrote:
AaronS wrote:
suntzu wrote:
GlockMeisterG21 wrote:

To me the AK is "better" because you can shoot the dirtiest 7.62x39 round you can find through it and it more than likely won't jam...unlike the AR platform that has to be cleaned frequently, or you risk failure. The AK while not infallible and can fail--as anything made by the hand of man can and will fail at some point--is less likely to fail when you need it to work.

And yes, the 7.62x39 Russian caliber is hard to beat, as is the 7.62x54. Make it into a tactical platform, complete with collapsible stock, scope, tactical light/laser and a vertical foregrip-- and it is something to behold.
Had an AK, dumped it. Thing was just not accurate. I had one of the better Romanian ones and just didn't like it. It ate everything I fed it though.

As to AR's and cleaning, that's why I'm going gas-piston this time around. Minimal maintenance and a tough gun overall.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

With all of the rounds I put through my M16 in the Corps and many timesmore through several AR15sin the over 15 years since I have been out, I have no desire to get a gas piston upper. I never had a problem keeping my weapons functioning 100%. My lever guns are plenty accurate in .30-30, so I have no desire to have a 7.62x39 chambered rifle any more accurate than a SKS. I have punched paper out to 600yds with a .223 and shot critters out to ~400yds. I have shot deer under 200yds. An excellent round with great ballistics. I can getbetter than1 1/2MOA with Wolf HP ammo. My AR10s were several hundred dollars more expensive than my AR15s. I sold all but a standard A2 style. Except for hunting deer sized game at longer distances, there is little I can do with my AR10 that I can not do with my AR15.

ConfederateSoul

imported post

So, you've used your AR on deer? How did it work out for you, compared to a larger round? I've always wanted to go deer hunting but don't have any other rifle and my family is definately opposed to me hunting deer with .223

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

ConfederateSoul wrote:
So, you've used your AR on deer? How did it work out for you, compared to a larger round? I've always wanted to go deer hunting but don't have any other rifle and my family is definately opposed to me hunting deer with .223

I made a conscious decision not to shoot more than 100 yds with it. This guarantees sufficient velocity for adequate expansion. I had 1 drop in its tracks and another run just a short distance before nose diving into a pile. This is no different than larger calibers. I have absolutely destroyed the heart with a .30-06 and the deer still ran 20 yds or so. I am much more deliberate with shot placement.

I have friends who have had absolute success with their AR15s also. In the hands of a competent marksman/hunter they are a fine tool so long as you respect the limitations. On that note, I believe that every hunter should also be a marksman. My daughter took her first deer at over 200 yds with a .243. Dropped it in its tracks. Shot placement is nearly everything. Lots of range time with me including her attending 2 Appleseed shoots.

Mr.arker

imported post

If you would consider a direct gas impingement AR, then why not try Rock River Arms. They have 6.8 and .458 SOCOM uppers if you want to try a larger caliber. If you ever want to try a different upper receiver, you don't need an FFL to purchase. They also have a 7.62 AR type rifle. If you're like me, you're not made of money, so you want to make the right choice.

I never had any problems with gas impingement but they do get hotter and dirtier, you need to keep them lubed.