• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Help me find a rifle.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

So if you've read my previous thread about which AR to build I'm going to go for the carbine with a 16 inch barrel etc for more practical use, which brings me to this...

What should I get for a long rifle? I want something capable of great range and pinpoint accuracy with small groups....don't we all, right?

Here's a list of what I would like.
- Chambered in .308
- Synthetic Stock
- 24" to 30" barrel, something heavy, preferably a bull barrel, free floated
- Bolt action, single shot or maybe a 4-5 shot built in mag.
- Scope mounts....bipod mounts too.
- Possibly something with a 2 stage trigger like the ARs?

Yep i think you get the picture, what are you reccomendations? I was thinking maybe a Savage 10FP though it looks like a normal heavy barrel.

hydrochloride

imported post

Us snipers are converting to 700. I shoot a Savage 10 308 out to a 800 yards but not with much impact even with 190 grain. I would go 700 because it's impact is far greater.

BigDaddy5

imported post

Need more information! How far will you be shooting? What kind of shooting will you be doing, bench rest, bipod, off a ruck, hunting, etc? Will you be hiking around with your rifle, or doing mostly out-of-the-truck shooting? What's your budget? What do you consider pin-point accuracy? You looking for 1/4 MOA at 100, or 1 MOA at 1000? Will you be happy with out-of-the box accuracy (typically 1.5-.5 moa at 100), or do you want more? Will you build the rifle to your body, or just shoot it out of the box? What kind of ammo do you plan on shooting; do you plan on shooting ammo that suites the rifle, budget ammo, hunting ammo, target ammo, etc?

All of that comes into play.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

Budget is about a thousand for the rifle without the scope, I just want the best possible for around that amount of money, It's one I'll learn with but I want to start with quality equipment that can perform much better than I'll be able to utilize.

usaf0906

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Looking at the Remington 700's it seems the SPS Varmint is about the only one that meets what I'm looking for, most of the models don't even offer a .308 version but a lot of other measurements I'm unfamiliar with.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint_specs.asp

26" barrel in 3.08

This is a rifle that will be my next purchase, where I am moving to in texas has a 1K outdoor range that i can use:dude:

Hands down, Remington 700 is a great rifle that can be modified, but is accurate right out the box with a good scope.

BigDaddy5

imported post

Don't get the SPS if you have a budget of 1K.

Go for something like the 5R SS, or the Remington 700 Police. The SPS has a crappy stock, and it's too loose of a weapon. The weapon's base bolts should be at about 60 inch/pounds. I have one that can't tighten past about 15 inch/pounds because of the stock. I also can't replace the stock on my SPS because the trigger group isn't set just right, so drop-in stocks wont work right. It's a pain in my ass, frankly. I've shot her down to about 1.25MOA, but she doesn't really want to get any tighter.

The HS Precision stocks on the 5R and Police models are much better. The 5R barrel is much better for shooting 168 or 175 gr HPBT. It has 5 rifled grooves instead of 6.

Most everyone believes the 5R has the same barrel as the M24, but that's not quite true. It has the same design, but the barrels on the 5R haven't met the specs of the M24. The 5R, though, is a solid rifle and some are able to get it down to about 1/4 MOA. You can find the 5R online for about 1K.
http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

The 700 Police is also a great rifle. You can find them for about 900 online. It has a great stock. It's a solid setup for out of the box accuracy. Expect 3/4 to 1/2 MOA at 100.
http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm

The big thing is don't skimp on the optics. You'll be better to spend good money on optics than on a rifle. If you have a budget of 1K for a rifle, you should invest at least that much into the optics. Leupold, US Optics, etc. Especially if you want to shoot at long ranges. You need good glass.

BigDaddy5

imported post

The 5R isn't a regularly produced rifle, but you can find them in quite a few places.

It's basically the same as every other R700, though. 4+1 internal magazine, adjustable trigger, etc. Biggest difference is the HS Precision stock, 1:11.25" twist rate and 5 riflings, instead of 6. Weighs about the same as the 700 Police. The 5R is pretty much a rifle that you know what your getting...no real need to advertise it.

You can't go wrong with either one of those. They'll get you out to 1K.

Edit: 5R is 5RSS... The SS just means Stainless Steel. I don't know which one I would get, honestly. The one I'm looking for is the Remington 700 USR (http://www.remingtonmilitary.com/usr.htm) but Remington isn't making anymore this year according to their sales representatives. The USR is essentially a Remington 700 Police Light Tactical Rifle with a lot of spruce. The LTR is a trimmed down 700 Police. So...I'm pretty unbiased. The 5R is probably able to shoot tighter, but the 700 Police is more versatile I feel simply because of how popular it is. However...the 5R is a 700, and a 700 is pretty much a 700 when it comes to being able to customize or modify it. Both are excellent rifles.

You can't go wrong with either!

usaf0906

imported post

I agree with what bigdaddy says. The one thing that the SPS varmint offers is that its cheap. You could easily buy it and a good scope, then as your budget allows, upgrade the stock to whatever fits your needs. If your budget allows it, the 5R would be a good buy.

0V3RC10CK3D

imported post

Well cool, I like the looks of the 5R much more with the stainless but, the 700P seems more readily available, If I got the 700p could I order it with a chrome lined barrel / chamber?

usaf0906

imported post

0V3RC10CK3D wrote:
Well cool, I like the looks of the 5R much more with the stainless but, the 700P seems more readily available, If I got the 700p could I order it with a chrome lined barrel / chamber?

Just something i noticed on the snipercentral.com page, https://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

"entry level" rifle, with good options for customizing and decent pricesI believe.

BigDaddy5

imported post

The barrels are not chromed lined on the Remington 700's. They are a Chrome Moly.

You can't really get a R700 with chorme-lined, but the internals of the barrel stay rust-free. Just make sure to clean them and keep them dry. Don't use CLP on the internals unless storing for a long time, and even then...clean it out with something like Hoppes #9 before shooting. CLP contains teflon and can open up your barrel.

The chromed lined barrels are designed to sustain abuse but aren't as tight. The chrome moly and stainless are for more precision shooting. Don't put a ton of rounds down range at any one time, but don't be afraid to shoot it either.

BigDaddy5

imported post

You can find a new one, check gunbroker.com or snipercountrypx.com. There's a lot available right now, and a lot are new. They're going for about 1,000 even.

BigDaddy5

imported post

The one you linked is in .223, fyi. This is the .308:

http://www.snipercountrypx.com/pc-4...-5r-milspec-308-with-5r-m24-type-rifling.aspx

Here are a few on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142713730
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=142613672

Edit: Short action is for short calibers, generally up to .308. Long action is generally for longer calibers, .300WM and larger.

Generally speaking, a short action will often allow you to charge the bolt while keeping your cheek on the weapon. That's generally speaking, it obviously depends on the person. If you want a .308, you probably want a short action. Very rarely are .308's available in long action. The M24 is an exception that comes to mind, but that's because the Army wanted to make the M24 easily changeable to .300WM

BigDaddy5

imported post

Cool, make sure to bring back a range report!

FYI, if this is your first time shooting for precision long-range shooting, you should make sure to read up on barrel break-in procedures and maintenance. You'll find that these rifles will take a lot of abuse, but expect a lot of maintenance. Of course it's all about the "one-shot," anyway.