• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

**OFF TOPIC** deicing agents

THway

imported post

For this winters snow season i want to run the liquid anti-deicing agents.... the problem with this is if you buy it from a distributor you will pay anywhere from $130-190 for 55 gallons.

Now... i have been doing some extensive research on sodium brine (salt water) and various other mixes... What i want to do is take a mix sodium brine with calcium chloride. This mix should in effect work as both an anti icing and deicing mix that would work in temperatures below -20F.

My only question is where can i purchase calcium chloride per bag or pale for a decent price? I have done some internet looking and have made some phone calls but no luck finding anyone in the local area that sells just calcium chloride... it either comes with magnesium and/or potassium chloride in the mix.

I am running out of ideas... and am hoping that someone here could help me find my CaCl2

office888

imported post

How much do you need?

Calcium Chloride, Dihydrate, Technical is the cheapest I've seen. It's $50 for 500g.

sciencelab.com sells a whole slew of bulk chemicals.

-Richard-

THway

imported post

office888 wrote:
How much do you need?

Calcium Chloride, Dihydrate, Technical is the cheapest I've seen. It's $50 for 500g.

sciencelab.com sells a whole slew of bulk chemicals.

-Richard-
Well thinks for being the only person who cares around here...... (Just kidding guys)

No i need to buy this stuff by 50# bags. i dont think grams are going to cut it. i am adding this stuff to water... i need enough to do about 1000 gallons of water.

Thank you richard for responding....

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, Venator and KBCraig have their preferred de-icing agents. But it comes in 750ml bottles, seems expensive,and is imported from Scotland.

:D