• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Big Round of Applause for this Sheriffs Deputy :)

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Out walking the dog, I walk past a Sheriffs car parked at a gas station, he flags me down.

Audio: http://www.opencarryradio.com/audio/PC12031e_oct_9_2009.mp3

Transcript:

Deputy: Hey, How ay doin?

Me: Pretty good, howbout yourself.

Deputy: Beautiful dog.

Me: Thanks

Deputy: I haven't met you yet. Can I make sure that your Glock is unloaded?

Me: I don't consent to any searches of my person or my property.

Deputy: OK. Is your Glock loaded?

Me: No.

Deputy: It's not loaded. Do you have any ammunition on you at all?

Me: Yes I do.

Deputy: Where is your ammunition?

Me: I'm not… am I legally required to tell you that?

Deputy: I'm just asking you a question.

Me: I'm not planning on answering.

Deputy: OK. It's not in the gun itself?

Me: No Sir.

Deputy: OK. No problem. Thanks, have a good night.

Me: You to.

I'm super proud of this Deputy! Thoughts? Comments? And before you ask, no I will not be writing a letter of praise to the department. I'm saving those for the next time they get a cat out of a tree. :)

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Hell, if that's how police executed all (e) checks, we'd never have standing to challenge the constitutionality of them!

+1 for that deputy.

pullnshoot25

imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
It didn't sond like he even E checked your glock? On one hand it's good that he didn't take up to much of your time, on the other, like pns said, it would be nice if they didn't even bother.

Edit: I like how he said he hadn't met you yet. Lol

Gotta love the good ol' boys club.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

dirtykoala wrote:
It didn't sond like he even E checked your glock?

Right. Technically not a PC12031(e) check, just an inquiry of the state of my gun. Police are citizen too and they can talk to or ask questions of anyone they please, as can you.

I had a similar encounter with a guy at a restaurant, He asked if my gun was loaded and I began to tell him it wasn't and why (California Penal Codes) when he interrupted my and said "I know" while lifting his shirt to reveal his San Jose PD badge clipped to his belt. He said "Have a nice day" and we both went about our business.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

bad_ace wrote:
dirtykoala wrote:
It didn't sond like he even E checked your glock?

Right. Technically not a PC12031(e) check, just an inquiry of the state of my gun. Police are citizen too and they can talk to or ask questions of anyone they please, as can you.

I had a similar encounter with a guy at a restaurant, He asked if my gun was loaded and I began to tell him it wasn't and why (California Penal Codes) when he interrupted my and said "I know" while lifting his shirt to reveal his San Jose PD badge clipped to his belt. He said "Have a nice day" and we both went about our business.
Haha... so what's your ratio now with LEOs and open carry? Seems like you have good luck.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Playing devils advocate:

So what happens if this deputy does the same thing with some one that does have a loaded gun and lies about it. Then turns around and robs some one at gun point 5 minutes later.

In my opinion, UOC is stupid. All a BG has to do is approach someone that is UOO and draw his own CC laoded gun on the UOC and then steal their weapons and ammo. The UOC'er doesn't have a prayer of drawing and laoding his own SD weapon with a loaded gun already pointed at him. I mean, it's hard enough to do if you carry loaded OC.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
Playing devils advocate:

So what happens if this deputy does the same thing with some one that does have a loaded gun and lies about it. Then turns around and robs some one at gun point 5 minutes later.
So, um, is this a serious question?

What happens when a person lies on his CCW application, and goes and commits robbery after receiving it?

Better yet, what happens in in other states when someone is carrying loaded OC and the police don't (because they can't) check to see if it's loaded? Then he turns around at robs some one at gun point 5 minutes later.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
In my opinion, UOC is stupid. All a BG has to do is approach someone that is UOO and draw his own CC laoded gun on the UOC and then steal their weapons and ammo. The UOC'er doesn't have a prayer of drawing and laoding his own SD weapon with a loaded gun already pointed at him. I mean, it's hard enough to do if you carry loaded OC.
In my opinion OC is stupid because the bad guy can get the drop on you, and once you've got his .45 in your face you don't have a prayer of drawing and he can steal your gun.

Army

imported post

Of course, you can quote the many times this has happened?

If my gun is indistinguishable from a loaded weapon, how is the bad guy gonna know to begin with? Just because I look like Joe Average, and Joe Average can't get a CCW?

I declare, that bad guys seeing a guy with a gun on his hip, walking/talking/acting without a care in the world, would rather head in the other direction since "that guy" will not be easy to rob or mess with.

UOC is 100X more effective in personal safety....than wishing you had any weapon at all.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Army wrote:
Of course, you can quote the many times this has happened?

I declare, that bad guys seeing a guy with a gun on his hip, walking/talking/acting without a care in the world, would rather head in the other direction since "that guy" will not be easy to rob or mess with.
Nope, not a statistically relevant amount at all; it's just oft-repeated FUD.

You don't even have to declare that. One only need to read/hear/see what convicted prisoners say... they are afraid of law-abiding citizens with guns and avoid them if they know beforehand.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
In my opinion OC is stupid because the bad guy can get the drop on you, and once you've got his .45 in your face you don't have a prayer of drawing and he can steal your gun.

I don't believe anyone on these forums has said that OC was 100% safe. The BG's can get the drop on either CC or OC. They are less likely to attempt to victemize someone that is OC a laoded side arm, though.

However, in a state where Loaded OC is illegal for persons without a permit, such as Cali, if the BG's know the state laws, they can go shopping for handguns on the street knowing that their victem may have to laod their gun before they can defend themselves. That sort of reduces the risk factor for the BG, ya know.

But in the states where loaded OC is legal the risk factor is much higher for the BG.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

So the bad guys are now lawyers, even though they ignore the law in their own life?

A bad guy sees a gun, and he's able to figure whether it's an incorporated area, whether the guy is a off-duty LEO, that there is no backup piece concealed, etc etc etc.

Those are a lot of assumptions to make. That, and there's no evidence to suggest criminals know the law.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marshaul wrote:
SNIP...there's no evidence to suggest criminals know the law.
Not at the rate they've beenillegally detaining OCers in various states, and occasionally arresting them.

(Oops. I did not say that . I did not say that.)

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

marshaul wrote:
So the bad guys are now lawyers, even though they ignore the law in their own life?

A bad guy sees a gun, and he's able to figure whether it's an incorporated area, whether the guy is a off-duty LEO, that there is no backup piece concealed, etc etc etc.

Those are a lot of assumptions to make. That, and there's no evidence to suggest criminals know the law.

1) Just because the BG's "ignore" the law doesn't mean that they don't have any knowledge of it. The majority of them at least know to lawyer up before answering LEO questions. I think you're making an assumption that all BG's are idiots, they are not.

2)Don't know what the laws are in California re off duty LEO carry, but if they can OC loaded, that would pretty well make them destinctive from LAC UAC. All the BG has to do is look at the butt of the sidearm (assumming most people carry semi-autos). If there's no mag in the handle, it's not loaded and most likely not a LEO.

Again, you are assuming that all BG's are to stupid to figure this out themselves.

3) Assumptions? I think what we have both brought up here are "variables" that may apply to any given situation.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
1) Just because the BG's "ignore" the law doesn't mean that they don't have any knowledge of it. The majority of them at least know to lawyer up before answering LEO questions. I think you're making an assumption that all BG's are idiots, they are not.
And you've made the assumption that bad guys care enough to learn the law, something which is seriously in question.

And "lawyering up" doesn't take study of law. Ever heard of a miranda reading?

And who carries without a mag in the well?

Hell, I've been meaning to build a mag with an extra-extra power spring (maybe a pad on the follower), just to ensure positive and rapid ejection for the swap to a loaded mag upon drawing.

Not that I actually UOC as a matter of practice, though. :quirky