• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Plymouth, PA Cops Assault Me, Terrorize My Toddler Son Over Open Carry

georgedonnelly

imported post

Hey all, I recently moved back to PA after being away for awhile, and started open carrying. I keep it low key and don't go anywhere I didn't plan to go anyway. I've open carried around my block, at Wal-Mart, Target, Shoprite, Costco, Starbucks, all over the place. And all without incident until yesterday when I went for a walk in the park.

I was handcuffed. 6 plymouth township cops showed up and hassled me for 30-45 minutes. They terrorized my toddler son and otherwise acted like thugs after a lady called the cops on me. I did nothing wrong or aggressive. I find carrying has inclined me towards an even more conciliatory stance in public.

Anyway, here is the story. Your constructive reactions appreciated. :)

http://georgedonnelly.com/asides/plymouth-pa-cops-assault-terrorize

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

georgedonnelly wrote:
Hey all, I recently moved back to PA after being away for awhile, and started open carrying. I keep it low key and don't go anywhere I didn't plan to go anyway. I've open carried around my block, at Wal-Mart, Target, Shoprite, Costco, Starbucks, all over the place. And all without incident until yesterday when I went for a walk in the park.

I was handcuffed. 6 plymouth township cops showed up and hassled me for 30-45 minutes. They terrorized my toddler son and otherwise acted like thugs after a lady called the cops on me. I did nothing wrong or aggressive. I find carrying has inclined me towards an even more conciliatory stance in public.

Anyway, here is the story. Your constructive reactions appreciated. :)

http://georgedonnelly.com/asides/plymouth-pa-cops-assault-terrorize
You need to fle a lawsuit if you want them to stop - try to find an attorrey who will take your case on contingency for damages - handcuffing you was an extreme violation of your rights considering they had no basis to seize you in the first place.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

georgedonnelly wrote:
Can you give me a pointer to the Allentown one?

I think I found the Dickson City one.

I think the same law fiorm is doing both; try aso calling around, try referall services - the PA bar should have a referral service where you pay a small fee for consultation with a lawyer generally practicing in your line of lawsuit - make sure you provide them a copy of the recent open carry summary judgement ruling from teh New Mexico judge - it can be found linked to from http://www.examiner.com/x-2782-DC-Gun-Rights-Examiner~y2009m9d9-Federal-judge-rules-police-cannot-detain-people-for-openly-carrying-guns- dive him/her this article too.

Also, have you requested the records of your incident including the 911 call audio file under the PA open records law? if not, get moving!

jahwarrior

imported post

you definitely need to get a lawyer. my brother is in Plymouth at least 2x a week; he hasn't been hassled yet, except for a lady in Turkey Hill. you need to get on this, before someone else gets hassled, or worse.

kadar

imported post

PisnNapalm wrote:
My advice to you is to remove any references to this from the internet and hire a lawyer.
I agree. Remember, Anything you say can and will be used against you.....

georgedonnelly

imported post

Guys thank you. I will see about getting those records.

I won't be deleting my accounts of the incident. It is critical that people be aware and if my experience serves that purpose, excellent.

suntzu

imported post

Contact a lawyer and see about filing a civil rights lawsuit.

I would also file a complaint with the department involved--for what good it will do, AS WELL AS filing a criminal complaint with the civil rights division of the FBI in your area--which would be probably in Pittsburgh.

DJ_Amish

imported post

So where is your audio recording of this encounter? If you say you don't have one then why not? If you believe that you have to carry a gun to protect your son, then why not carry a cheap device to protect your rights?

An Audio recorder should be a requirement with a gun. Just like a gun is a tool, so a voice recorder.

I am sorry to hear that this happened to you. I hope justice prevails. But never never carry a gun without protecting yourself. I have a small sony recorder that fits easily in my pocket. it goes into my pocket just like my wallet. never leave home without it.

codename_47

imported post

You need to fle a lawsuit if you want them to stop - try to find an attorrey who will take your case on contingency for damages - handcuffing you was an extreme violation of your rights considering they had no basis to seize you in the first place.

Good luck on that. Most civil rights lawyers in PA couldn't be bothered unless there are blood and guts involved. I would try the allentown lawyer or the one in the Dickson city case, not Johnna gelb.

Guys, if you truely want to be free, you can't rely on other people to fight your battles for you.

I would also file a complaint with the department involved--for what good it will do, AS WELL AS filing a criminal complaint with the civil rights division of the FBI in your area--which would be probably in Pittsburgh.

Work on the lawsuit first, then the complaint.

Just my personal rant, but I absolutely can not stand the "am I legally required to show you that?" response. It makes you sound like you don't know what your rights are and if they say yes, you have to go to through the exchange disputing that the law requires it and such. Just say no.

If someone asks to speak to you, just say no.

The court's are not part of their gang, sue in Federal and get a real judge.

Finally, you talk waaaaaay too much in that encounter. Just assert your rights and keep quiet.

Now that you've been hassled, what are you going to do about it?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

codename_47 wrote:
SNIP Just my personal rant, but I absolutely can not stand the "am I legally required to show you that?" response. It makes you sound like you don't know what your rights are and if they say yes, you have to go to through the exchange disputing that the law requires it and such.
You have a point. I'm thinkingthat if you are recording, it can really highlight the disingenuousness of the cops. It sort of gives them some rope to stick their head in the noose.

Remember the Ron Paul rep detained by the feds at the airport? The feds really showed their backside when he asked that question repeatedly.

Besides, if they say "yes", a person can always still decline to answer the question. "No, I don't think I'll answer. No, offense. I know you're probably just doing your job, but my attorney made it clear I shouldn't answer any questions."

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

The question I have is when you mentioned the waste of time and taxpayer monies, they said you weren't in their jurisdiction? If you weren't in their jurisdiction then why the encounter? Was it even legal for them to contact you at all? My head is really spinning over this one. Good luck and I hope it all works out in you favor.

georgedonnelly

imported post

DJ_Amish, how do you get your voice recorder out when the cop has come up behind you and is already nervous about where you put your hands and yours is in a pocket?

Clearly I need better, more accessible gear because that is the situation that I faced and I wasn't going to risk getting blown away. After that I didn't even have a chance as my hands were bound.

codename_47, if I say outright no the cop has a basis for claiming I was not co-operating. This way I cleanly render his question moot without refusing to cooperate.

Thos.Jefferson I was on the side of the street that is in plymouth township but reside on the other side of the street, which is east norriton.

Thanks guys.

suntzu

imported post

georgedonnelly wrote:
DJ_Amish, how do you get your voice recorder out when the cop has come up behind you and is already nervous about where you put your hands and yours is in a pocket?

Clearly I need better, more accessible gear because that is the situation that I faced and I wasn't going to risk getting blown away. After that I didn't even have a chance as my hands were bound.

codename_47, if I say outright no the cop has a basis for claiming I was not co-operating. This way I cleanly render his question moot without refusing to cooperate.

Thos.Jefferson I was on the side of the street that is in plymouth township but reside on the other side of the street, which is east norriton.

Thanks guys.
The recorder is easy--when you start to put your gun on and start out the door, regardless of where you are going--turn on the recorder before you step out the door, and keep it with you-and keep it on. Most good recorders will last several days on batteries--at least mine does. When you get in for the evening if nothing has happened--simply erase the days recording and start over the next time you go out.

As for the cop claiming you are not cooperating--it is not your job to do their job for them. You are not required under the law to answer any questions other than those necessary to identify yourself with (assuming the cop has RAS or PC to demand your name and address, OR if Pennsylvania has a "stop and ID" statute). You don't have to tell them where you are going, where you came from, what you are doing or why. They may try to intimidate you, they may threaten you or harass you, they may lie to you--and most likely will--but that is what lawyers and lawsuits are for.

A good audio recorder is absolutely essential--don't carry your gun without one--the recorder will be invaluable for you in my opinion.