Thread: How do you carry in the winter?

Post imported post

Simple question really. How do you carry in the winter when you have a jacket on? Do you simply CC, or do you still OC? I'm more of a warm weather OCer. If I have a jacket on and CC it's no biggie to me.

Post imported post

I just carry like normal and put on a jacket or coat and leave it open... having a CPL and OC legal..... if the gun shows who cares?
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Post imported post

I think this is part of where the term 'Virginia Tuck' comes from... just 'tuck' your jacket behind the gun! Or CC if able. There are also jackets (I don't remember who makes them at the moment) that have a 'slot' in the side of them specifically for your gun to stick through!

Post imported post

Go to gall's at www.galls.com or US Cavalry at www.uscav.com and look for the Tru-Spec '24-7 Series 3 in 1' jacket.

They have a side zipper for OC ing a sidearm, therefore no 'tuck' is necessary. Just zip up the side zipper on your gun side.

The have hidden pull out flaps for a badge or ID, so if you are a firefighter, EMT, etc you can also use the jacket for emergency response. If not, just leave them zippered up.

There are a wide enough selection of colors NOT to to have a jacket of similar color to the local LE uniform, whatever it may be for your area. (They come in blue, black, brown and green).

For instance, in my area, most uniforms are blue (small cities) or black (county sheriffs). So I plan to get one in brown.

Post imported post

I just dress as I normally would, then throw my goat or jacket on over my gun. Don't have to worry about CC since I have a VA CC permit and when I'm going in somewhere that I can't legally CC, I just ditch my jacket in the car before I go in so I'm OC.

Post imported post

Not having a CHL currently, I do not have the option ofa long jacket in colder weather. Since I carry revolvers I am now shopping for a nice western style rig to carry in. For the moment I just tuck behind my belt holster.. gets bunched up a bit depending on the jacket..

Post imported post

law enforcement duty holsters work well, alot of them especaily "stong" brand holsters attatch to the belt assembly at the bottom on the holster instead of the top, inabling you to slide your coat or sweatshirt between the belt assembly and holster itself

Post imported post

may seem a little much for most but I modified my jacket, I cut a narrow 4 inch wedge out of my OC side them stitched in a strand of elastic between the bottom corners,

it works very well, it come on and off easy and keeps the coat from covering the weapon when reaching high for something.

oh I use a Serpa holster

Post imported post

U.S. Navy 223,

I feel sorry for your goat, must be tuff hanging around on you belt all day, not to mention heavy. :celebrate:shock:

Post imported post

jay75009 wrote:
    law enforcement duty holsters work well, alot of them especaily "stong" brand holsters attatch to the belt assembly at the bottom on the holster instead of the top, inabling you to slide your coat or sweatshirt between the belt assembly and holster itself
    anybody have more specifics on these? i would like to check itout. My google-fu has proved weak. if someone knows a model name/type i would appreciate it.

Post imported post

Harper1227 wrote: snip
    if someone knows a model name/type
    i would appreciate it.
    Blade Tech also has an offset model.
    There is the BH CQC belt accessory/attachment for their holsters.
    Safariland/Bianchi has Jacket Slot models as does G&G, UM's and almost every company that makes a security holster.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    Harper1227 wrote: snip
    if someone knows a model name/type
    i would appreciate it.
    Blade Tech also has an offset model.
    There is the BH CQC belt accessory/attachment for their holsters.
    Safariland/Bianchi has Jacket Slot models as does G&G, UM's and almost every company that makes a security holster.

thanks, i will check it out.

Post imported post

JBURGII wrote:
    Not having a CHL currently, I do not have the option ofa long jacket in colder weather. Since I carry revolvers I am now shopping for a nice western style rig to carry in. For the moment I just tuck behind my belt holster.. gets bunched up a bit depending on the jacket..
    I'm guessing you don't spend much time in the north end of the valley

Come move to the east (pronounced: "free") half of the state!!

Post imported post

"Strong" makes very good off-set duty holsters. with a rotating thumb safety on the snap to boot. can get them in wrapped kydex, kydex, leather or ASB material foraround $100, or if you shopmilitary surplus, maybe around $20 for a used one

http://www.strongholster.com/store/s...2507703D78A2C6

The "balistc holsers" are the offset models, i have one for my Glock 23 and it works amazingly

Post imported post

Xader wrote:
    JBURGII wrote:
    I'm guessing you don't spend much time in the north end of the valley

Come move to the east (pronounced: "free") half of the state!!
    I hang out in Lane County mostly.. Heck, any part of Oregon is a godsend compared to the last dozen years I spent in California.. I just haven't spent the time or money on the proper carry gear yet..

btw, isn't there a motion to split the 'east' (free) half of the state into a seperate entity??

Post imported post

I live in NC, and it never really gets COLD down here, but last winter it did get chilly enough to wear a parka a few times...

In the summer, I CC when I'm "out on the town" with the wife, or at work. When I'm by myself, or with my stepdaughter, I often OC, in a Serpa CQC. Summer in NC is pretty warm, so OC is the most practical way to carry most of the time.

In the spring and fall, when I can layer my clothes (but don't really need a coat) I usually CC, and leave my shirt untucked and over my pistol. If I need to look a little more "polished", I will sometimes OC, or CC with a sportscoat.

In the winter, again it depends on just how chilly it is, and what my routine demands in the way of dress code. If I'm going places where I need to dress up a little, I'll usually CC under a jacket. If I'm doing things where bluejeans and a sweater or layered shirts can suffice, I will usually OC. If it's REALLY chilly, and I have to wear a heavy coat, then I'm CCing, and my NC CHP gived me the privilege to do so legally.

So it all depends on four factors (NOT listed in any particular order):
    1) dress code/appropriate dress for my activities
    2) temperature, and
    3) where I'll be going/what I'll be doing
    4) whether I'm with my sweetie (she doesn't like when I OC, but I'm slowly chipping away at her objections by DOING it...)

I'm considering buying an offset bracket for my Serpa, so that I can wear it dropped and offset for OC even when I AM wearing a heavy coat, because it look like (contrary to the Global Warming Alarmists) we're going to have another RECORD COLD winter here in the Tarheel State...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

I generally just use a military surplus pistol belt over my coat (no CHP here).

Using a generic "Fidragon" brand holster, btw.