• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The tone of conversations on this forum

olypendrew

imported post

I know I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Could we all please try to show a little more respect to our colleagues on this board?

If you really feel the need to make snide, nasty, sexual, or otherwise inappropriate comments that have little if anything to do with the original post, could you keep it to the private message feature, please?

Thanks in advance.

gsx1138

imported post

I think people tend to take the internets a tad bit too seriously. Or they've just forgot their Xanax. I will also admit that if I see someone losing their sh!t I have a tendency to poke more. Especially if I see there was no reason for it in the first place. I can try to be a little less smart ass. Maybe...

compmanio365

imported post

We used to be able to have a conversation without resorting to sniping, name calling and backstabbing. Some of the membership that has joined in recent months, no offense, seems to be somewhat immature. You can disagree with someone without resorting to childish behavior. And it used to be a rule here that if you want to make a point, you need to cite to authority. I think we need to get back to that. We are a forum of facts and reality, not drama and feelings.......

Manu

imported post

Olypen that is the reason I am also not posting that much I use to be, Things are getting bad here no respect for fellow members or other citizens. Bitterness is growing in postings

Machoduck

imported post

"We are a forum of facts and reality, not drama and feelings" said Compmanio.

Well said. When I was considering law school years ago I read a book on the subject in which the author divided people into "thinker Judgers and feeler perceivers" with the former represented much more heavily at law school and in law. I've watched these differences play out in everyday life, in politics and in decision making. One of the things I've appreciated about our forum is that we have been much more represented with the former but lately the latter approach has become much more common than in the past.

MD

antispam540

imported post

We lack any real organization - there's no common cause, no knot of people pushing forward with pro-2a reform. I imagine it's the same way most places, but if I may, I'd like to mention what's going on in Georgia. There's several people - a couple of lawyers and a senator - who are active in the pro-2a community and on the forums. Given their success rate, they've become de-facto leaders, and the forums are much better for having that sort of coordination and focus on particular problems to solve together.

I realize every day how many differing viewpoints there are on this forum, and I try to be respectful of them. After all, we DO have a common goal - protecting our 2A rights. I just hope everyone else tries to do the same.

PT111

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
What the forum needs is more moderators, it also doesn't help that we have been getting more and more trolls recently.
This forum should be self-moderating for the most part if it is what it claims to be. The number and type of trolls are not the real problem but how certain members respond to them and to each other. The no-compromise stand by many has morphed into I am correct and everyone else is wrong even if you agree with me. The wars have become personal in some cases and nothing morethan a pissing contest having nothing to do with the original post or question.

Machoduck

imported post

FunkTrooper wrote:
What the forum needs is more moderators, it also doesn't help that we have been getting more and more trolls recently.

Trolls are a valuable resource, Funk Trooper. They say openly what many anti-rights people actually think but are afraid to openly say, hiding behind words like "inappropriate". Our efforts to straighten out the mess that is their "thought" process is good training. Eventually, this war of ideas will be won by by nudging the general public into logical thought.

The preceding sentence gives one an idea of the enormity of the problem but for the sake of the Republic, we dare not fail. Trolls may be stupid and hateful but so are some of the "nice" people hiding behind words like "inappropriate" to convey their displeasure with others who exercise rights in which they themselves are not interested.

When one appears to be answering a troll he can actually be speaking to the community at large or to a specific rational poster. Thus, ninnies can be a resource. In a sense, that's what I'm doing here. I'm using the existence of trolls in general for my own purpose.

MD

MadHatter66

imported post

I think that the other problem is a real lack of moderation... How many mods does OCDO have? 2?

Would be nice to see each state have one or two...might help keeps things more civil...

But its definitely one of the reasons I don't check in as much, or post as much... To many people here post a legit question, and when you post a legit answer they have to pick it apart. The news media, and LE watch this forum, and read our posts. It goes quite a bit to our credibility when they read stuff, then show up to a picnic. What happens when they come to a picnic, take some video, talk to some people...then read some quotes off the board? There is a huge potential to look like a bunch of loons with guns... Some of us are out to spread the word, tech people and politically make a stand, and tear down the walls against what we stand for. When we post stuff about walking around with our broad sword, flak jacket and armed to the teeth you cast a light on the rest of us that makes us look like lunatics... I for one will continue to fight for what is right, but don't want to be associated with some of the stuff that goes on around here any more... I still check the boards, and still post, and will still come to meets when I can. But there is just much crap and fighting around here anymore...

PolskiG

imported post

Yeah, this site sucks now, to many haters. I'm starting my own site, carryopenly.org.....I would haveclosed downmy member profile here, but theres no option to do that.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

PolskiG wrote:
Yeah, this site sucks now, to many haters. I'm starting my own site, carryopenly.org.....I would haveclosed downmy member profile here, but theres no option to do that.
I remember your posts. If you have to go, I understand; but I think you made valuable contributions. I wish you would stay.

PolskiG

imported post

Citizen wrote:
PolskiG wrote:
I remember your posts. If you have to go, I understand; but I think you made valuable contributions. I wish you would stay.

Wow Citizen, I'm touched you feel that way, thanks. I'm still lurking around here, I sold off my larger pistols, bought a Glock 26 and have gone back to semi concealed carry, so no realoc storiesas of late to report. I made some comments back in the summera couple people on here weren't to happy with.

Maybeit was around the timewhenall thisnegativity started,who knows. Ilike to push the envelope a bit, get the gears of controversygoing or just make people scratch their heads, its fun but necessary ithink and keeps theissues diverse. We'll see how things progress. In themean time, carry-on!!

Jim675

Founder's Club Member
imported post

olypendrew wrote:
...Good stuff...
I agree. The Washington forum used to be very readable. Now not only the newer posters who perhaps haven't seen civil discourse, but several of the most knowledgeable and experienced posters come across harshly.

We used to be the Virginia of the West. Now we're level with Louisiana. (No offense Cajuns - you've just have a lot of squabbling going on down there.)

Edited for typo.

Batousaii

imported post

TY olypendrew,

- I myself have noticed same over the short period of time i been here.. I firmly believe that we need to consider our image, and realize how it reflect our cause as a whole. Should we be seen as rouge arrogant rousers, then surely our fate will slowly be sealed as we will simply be providing the anti groups with the proof they so much desire. This would be our own undoing at our own hands with only us to blame, it would be so sad.

- The cure.... remember the time honored saying "An armed society is a polite society" ... and with that i recommend we all practice more social grace, manners and etiquette. Talk to each other as we would want to be talked to, and talk to each other as if sitting in the same room with our openly carried side arms.

- This forum has so much promise, and can be a force that restores the second amendment's strength for all the citizens. Be a part of the cure, not part of the problem.

:dude:Bat