• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The tone of conversations on this forum

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Oly is right the tone has been miserable around here and it has turned some of our more knowledgeable and long time posters away. I know many of it is the attention OC has been getting in the news has brought many newbies to the site and I was hoping once they got used to what this site is about it would mellow out.

It has a little but some folks attitudes have been real bad and instead of discussing things civilly it has been name calling and snide remarks.

This site has really helped me out and has become a source of support for something I believe strongly in. My hope is that all of us here can go back to some self moderation take the advice of the folks that have been around for awhile,I know I had to whenI firststarted posting.Pretend you are talking face to face with someone, when typing away on the keyboard, if you wouldn't say it in person don't say it here.

Dave The Welder

imported post

olypendrew wrote:
I know I'm not the only one who has noticed it.

Could we all please try to show a little more respect to our colleagues on this board?

If you really feel the need to make snide, nasty, sexual, or otherwise inappropriate comments that have little if anything to do with the original post, could you keep it to the private message feature, please?

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for bringing this up. I've noticed it as well and it does us all good consider what we're writing before posting. You may not agree with someone but there is no need to jump to conclusions or resort to name-calling to "prove" your point

unfriendly_fire

imported post

As in real life, attitude and composure can have a significant impact on the outcome of a confrontation. Internet forums are no different. Treat others as you expect to be treated. Perhaps most importantly, know the roots of your forum and keep it intact. A forum that devolves into just another place for bitch fests is a sure way to lose members and only attract the more of the same.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

gsx1138 wrote:
I think people tend to take the internets a tad bit too seriously. 

seriousbusiness.jpg

olypendrew

Here we go again...

Some of us believe that the right to keep and bear arms is one component of a general right to self-determination, and that the best course of action is to resist all governmental actions which interfere with that right. These are the folks who speak out against the drug war, and who respond to police encounters with, "Am I being detained?"

Others are focused solely on the right to keep and bear arms, and some of that group feel that cooperation is the best way to show the police that we are not the bad guys.

I think everyone agrees that the more folks who open carry, the better, as the general public becomes used to the idea, and not freaked out by it.

Let's try to focus on what unites us, rather than what divides us. Let's all learn to agree to disagree. Let's all think twice and post once. Let's discuss ideas, and refrain from personal attacks. Let's not keep losing members and/or discouraging converts with our bickering.

Beretta92FSLady

There have been few people on here that are anti-LEO. There are people on here that judge LEO's just like they judge citizens, and there is nothing anti-LEO about that.

We all have differing views. Some people are way to emotional on here, and take it way to personal. I think its great that we all don't agree. It would be a boring freaking world if we all had the same views.

This page, unlike other pages has a huge mix of people, young guys, older women, vets, gay people, hetero people, Conservatives, Liberals, Republicans, Democrats, Libertarians, Christian, Atheist, Ford people, Chevy people, Geo Metro people, dead heads, Cash fans, Barbara Streisand fans, you get my point!...there is going to be worlds colliding on here every day, thank goodness!

Last edited:

Vitaeus

Thank you for bumping this thread. Free speech at base means that you WILL hear things you disagree with, sometimes, you hear things that horrify you, but I spent many years supporting the right of ANYONE, not just those I agree with to speak their mind. I do have an issue with the personal attacks and in some cases the general tone of disrespect for other posters, feel free to disagree, but be the better "man" show the other party respect, this i feel will advance the various causes we all believe in and certainly will result in a more polite society.

jbone

Not new!

This subject has been brought up in a few times since I joined the forum not too long back. But the off topics, garbage talk, and rants keeps right on finding their way back no matter what wisdom or pleas of respect, or return to forum roots are expressed. Sure, I admit I enjoy reading allot of the rant’s and downright brain-dead posts, and bet I even contributed, but now I cringe when I have to sift through the topics to find one the actually applies to the forum.
I guess as posters come and go, it’ll just be one of those subjects that must rear-up from time-to-time in a continuous cycle of refocusing.

amlevin

Along these lines, does anyone here remember the old Packing.Org Forum?

It met its demise for pretty much the same things that are starting here. Name calling, off topic posts, and a general lack of respect for those participating. It got so bad that even the site owner washed his hands of it all and the Forum is history.

Just a little forethought before ranting and name calling would really help.

Beretta92FSLady

Just a little forethought before ranting and name calling would really help.

I seriously want to know where the name calling has been posted? A rant could be anything, it could be you disagreeing with something someone posts, it could be someone expressing their opinion on a subject.

One of the major problems, even for this page, is that when you are talking about an issue, say the 2nd Amendment, or OC'ing, those issues are complex issues.

Dave_pro2a

I think that the other problem is a real lack of moderation... How many mods does OCDO have? 2?

That's like calling for more gun laws to stop gun violence.

Welcome to the internet. Grow thick skin. Don't get involved with arguments and failing that use the ignore feature.

Problem solved.

Last edited:

Dave_pro2a

In case anyone missed it:

Use the ignore feature. If you don't like what someone says, if you don't like their 'tone' then use technology so you never have to see another of their posts.

Easy peasy.

Tomas

Dave, I'm not sure the ignore feature is in reality all that valuable...

Depending on how one views a person they would put on 'ignore' (a threat, an enemy, an annoyance, stupid, ignorant, etc.) ignoring them is seldom the best choice.

Think about, for example, the goals of open carry, or even ANY carry.

In Real Life™ we can't, and hopefully don't, ignore threats, enemies, annoyances, stupidity, or ignorance. We keep a close eye on enemies and threats, try to educate ignorance, overcome annoyances, and try to fix stupid. (I know, I know, you can't fix stupid, but we insist on trying anyway.)

Same here in the forums. If we don't handle the problems presented, as they are presented, and in the appropriate manner, we end up losing in the long run.

We should do our best to educate ignorance by providing facts and their proofs, figure out why some annoy us and either overcome that or help them to not annoy others, we definitely need to keep close watch on enemies and threats, and we will forever try to fix stupid, no matter how much a lost cause that might be.

By putting folks on ignore, it is like ignoring problems in Real Life™ - it doesn't fix the problem, it just lets it fester. Eventually it will need to be addressed, and it is usually easier to do it near the beginning, before it grows.

On the sites I run I provide the users the ignore feature, but I suggest they not use it, unless there is no other alternative.

Just had to say that. If ignore is the only or best response you have, then by all means use it, but it is at best only a last resort.

Take care,
Tom

Last edited: