Thread: Normal vs nut cases

Post imported post

Conservative vs Liberal

If a conservative doesn't like guns, he doesn't buy one.
    If a liberal doesn't like guns, he wants all guns outlawed.

If a conservative is avegetarian, he doesn`t eat meat.
    If a liberal is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for everyone.

If a conservative sees a foreign threat, he thinks about how to defeat his enemy.
    A liberal wonders how to surrender gracefully and still look good.

If a conservative is homosexual, he quietly leads his life.
    If a liberal is homosexual, he demands legislated respect.

If a black man or Hispanic are conservative, they see themselves as independently successful.
    Their liberal counterparts see themselves as victims in need of government protection.

If a conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his situation.
    A liberal wonders who is going to take care of him.

If a conservative doesn't like atalk show host, he switches channels.
    Liberalsdemand that those they don't like be shut down.

If a conservative is a non-believer, he doesn't go to church.
    A liberal non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.
    (Unless it's a foreign religion, of course!)

If a conservative decides he needs health care, he goes about shopping for it, or may choose a job that provides it.
    A liberal demands that the rest of us pay for his.

If a conservative slips and falls in a store, he gets up, laughs and is embarrassed.
    If a liberal slips and falls, he grabs his neck, moans like he's in labor and then sues.

If a conservative reads this, he'll forward it so his friends can have a good laugh.
    A liberal will delete it because he's "offended".

Post imported post

Freedom is a bit like sex, when your getting it you take it for granted, when you're not you want it bad, other people get mad at you for having it and others want to take it away from you so only they have it.

Post imported post

wtf is the point of posting partisan tripe like that?

I would argue that the terms "liberal" and "conservative" are so vague and misused as to render your entire post self-contradictory.

Furthermore, in each case the first possibility applies to me and the second does not. However, I am not and do not consider myself a "conservative". I consider myself a liberal of the classical variety.

The problem is, you define "liberal" as someone to whom the second possibility in each case applies. But none of those things apply to me, a self-declared liberal.

So where does that leave your meaningless partisan BS now? Are you going to argue to my face that, since I'm a liberal, I want all TV channels shut down, because I don't like and don't watch any of them?

So, to summarize, this thread is f*ing stupid.

Post imported post

marshaul wrote:
    [snip]
    I consider myself a liberal of the classical variety.

Surely you're aware of the difference between classical liberalism and the modern American variety. A classical liberal is MUCH closer to a current American conservative than to a liberal.

Post imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
    marshaul wrote:
    [snip]
    I consider myself a liberal of the classical variety.

Surely you're aware of the difference between classical liberalism and the modern American variety.* A classical liberal is MUCH closer to a current American conservative than to a liberal.
    Of course I'm aware; that was the whole point. As soon as you break things down into false paradigms you begin talking nonsense.