• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Police shoot homeowner after he calls 911

Captain_Awesome

imported post

Not sure if this is relevant enough to start a thread on, if it's not, I guess a moderator can take it down.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2009/10/09/pn.cop.shoots.homeowner.cnn

Another reason to simply shoot the guy first. That's what the cop did.

And of not that, make sure first thing you say to 911 is 'I'm holding an intruder at gunpoint.' They don't really need to know what happened that led up to that event.

poothrowingape

imported post

greengum wrote:
The general public gets treated like slaves and criminals, this shouldn't surprise any one.
ya i wasnt surprised when i read the title of the thread. most cops fresh out of the academy automaticallythink gun=badguy or gun=oficer safety. its the training.

heliopolissolutions

imported post

This story always gets my blood to turn sour.

I think its the 911 calls that really make me upset about it. And the poor guys wife and kids.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

[sarcasm]

The IA investigation cleared him of wrongdoing... so he did nothing wrong, right?

[/sarcasm]

He's lucky to be alive... no amount of money will be enough to compensate for what he went through, but I hope it's at least enough that he and his family will be as comfortable as possible as they spend the rest of their lives recovering from this event.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
greengum wrote:
The general public gets treated like slaves and criminals, this shouldn't surprise any one.
ya i wasnt surprised when i read the title of the thread. most cops fresh out of the academy automatically think gun=badguy or gun=oficer safety. its the training.
His wife claims the officer didn't even have the chance or angle to see that her husband had a gun; his back was turned. By her account, he entered and immediately started firing.

And then the scumbag shot him a couple more times after he was down. :cuss:

Chrisc411

imported post

It's cops prerogative to shoot first and ask questions later. It just blows me away that the let the LEO off the hook like that and cleared him of it:cuss:, He shot an innocent civilian that was only protecting his home, breaking protocol by not verbalizing to drop a weapon he couldn't see if the first place or announcing himself. Leading to destroying a man life forever and the impact that has to have on his family seeing him like that. Makes you wonder what they are teaching them outta the academy, Almost to the point who is the real bad guy here

greengum

imported post

Think about it for a second. A person breaks into your home. You grab your gun and get control of the situation without having to fire a shot. I'm pretty sure that the home owner was a lot more scared then the LEO that showed up and shot the home owner. The home owner showed restraint and evaluated the situation and gained control. Mr. LEO shows up and has been trained over and over again till it becomes almost instinctive to shoot any one with a gun. So I believe Poothrowingape is correct that it is the training. This really doesn't surprise me at all.

I remember living in Norwalk with my GF a few years ago and I had a serious toothache. I had cracked an infected molar one night and was is so much pain I locked myself in the bathroom screaming into a towel and banging on the walls. The neighbors called the cops. When they arrived my Gf let them in. By then I had opened the bathroom door upstairs. I was unaware that the police were there until I hear "ON THE ******* GROUND!" So there I am with blood dripping down my chin, doubled over in pain, looking down the business end of two 9mm's.

The point is I'm sure that being a LEO is a stressful and dangerous job. But that doesn't justify shooting first asking questions later.

Why didn't the dispatch lady inform the officers of the situation? If the excuse is something along the lines of "well I got a call to a house that had a break in, walked in to see a man with a gun and shot him" then why not inform the officers when they are in route? Worse yet what if she did.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

marshaul wrote:
poothrowingape wrote:
greengum wrote:
ya i wasnt surprised when i read the title of the thread. most cops fresh out of the academy automaticallythink gun=badguy or gun=oficer safety. its the training.
His wife claims the officer didn't even have the chance or angle to see that her husband had a gun; his back was turned. By her account, he entered and immediately started firing.

And then the scumbag shot him a couple more times after he was down. :cuss:
If this is true, then the excuse that they saw a gun and reflexively shot the holder only holds true if they have x-ray vision.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I am probably not alone when I say that police should have civilian review of shoots, like a grand jury.

This officer and the department need to pay. Department the money, officer with jail time, if convicted.

Problem is they rarely ever convict an officer!

Sons of Liberty

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Absolutely, irresponsible and criminally negligent for any other profession.

But for IA to give this guy a pass...beyond outrage!

Maybe homeowners should treat an intruder at gun point similar to a hostage situation.

911: "911, what's your emergency?"

Homeowner: "I have an intruder that I am holding at gun point. Do not enter my house or I will have to defend myself. Here are my terms: When you get to my house, I will send him out to you alive and in return, you promise not to shoot me. Anyone entering my house will be looked upon with hostile intent and I will defend myself. Do not enter my house! Do I make myself clear?"

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sons of Liberty wrote:
SNIP Homeowner: "I have an intruder that I am holding at gun point. Do not enter my house or I will have to defend myself. Here are my terms: When you get to my house, I will send him out to you alive and in return, you promise not to shoot me. Anyone entering my house will be looked upon with hostile intent and I will defend myself. Do not enter my house! Do I make myself clear?"

I'm sure you didn't mean that to be funny, but I'm ROFL.

What a predicament for the bad guy.

Robin47

imported post

I think this "Officer Safety" brainwashing is a big part of it.

They learn this at the school they go to, then when they get out,they are already

paranoid and can't think responsibly, not to mention all the "Anti-gun proaganda".

I feel sorry for the family, and the kids. "The policeman shot my daddy".

How sad the world has come to this ! Robin47

Captain_Awesome

imported post

Citizen wrote:
Sons of Liberty wrote:
SNIP Homeowner: "I have an intruder that I am holding at gun point. Do not enter my house or I will have to defend myself. Here are my terms: When you get to my house, I will send him out to you alive and in return, you promise not to shoot me. Anyone entering my house will be looked upon with hostile intent and I will defend myself. Do not enter my house! Do I make myself clear?"

I'm sure you didn't mean that to be funny, but I'm ROFL.

What a predicament for the bad guy.
I'm in the same boat- or floor- it sounds hilarious. But it does seem like it would solve that problem. Maybe we should start a thread about what one should actually do in a similar situation to avoid a similar fate?