• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can being pulled over be considered "detained"?

joeroket

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

Lammo

imported post

All of Citizen's remarks and case citations appear to be accurate (I just skimmed them and they look good to me). The thing to be careful about is that Washington has its own body of law and Citizen, apparently being from Virginia, may not be aware of some of our twists and turns.

Having said that, law enforcement cannot do "worse" things to you in WA than they can in other places. Legal analysis of the WA constitution (examining the factors from State v. Gunwall) has in many cases lead to greater protection for citizens in WA. A very good outline of WA search and seizure law can be found at the WAPA web site: http://www.waprosecutors.org/. Click on "Manuals" and then on "Search & Seizure".

One other thing to be very careful about. The OP wasn't completely clear but I got the impression they were asking about open carry in a vehicle (since their question appeared to be about a vehicle stopped). Even if I'm wrong about that, we all need to remember that we are not allowed to carry a loaded pistol inside a vehicle unless we have a CPL. RCW 9.41.050(2)(a). Further, in WA a semi-auto is loaded if there is ammo in the magazine and the magazine is inserted in the pistol even if the chamber is empty. RCW 9.41.010(9).

P.S. - - nothing in this post should be regarded as legal advice or construed as establishing an attorney-client relationship.