Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: Wal-Mart OC incidence

  1. #1
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Oh, and this happened in the Presque Isle, Maine wal-mart on the 10th of October around 10:55pm

    Hey all, a little background information. I'm currently 19 years old and attending the University of Southern Maine in the Pre-Med Biology program. I came home this weekend to spend time with my family and go hunting with my bird dog. I had OC'd for quite some time before I left for school and was looking forward to finally getting my gun back! Of course, I obviously can't carry at school. So I get home, first thing I do is say hello to everyone then grab my HK USP compact in .357 Sig! Later the next day my mother says that we need to go to wal-mart to get some items. I said all right and hopped in the car. Of course, I was open carrying my HK as always! We get to the store, walk around picking out items for about 45 minutes with no problems as usual. Then out of the blue I begin getting stalked by a man in a blue polo with a key chain around his neck. And by stalked I mean that he was looking at a product rather suspiciously, constantly keeping an eye on me so I picked up on this and began to watch him. As soon as we passed him he came up to my rear and a little behind me on my strong (gun) side. He was about a foot away and could reach and grab my gun so I turned making it so he couldn't. We both stopped, I was about to ask him what he was doing when he told me that he had been approached by about four people about "me". I asked for what reason? He stated that I was making people "nervous". I told him that I was carrying perfectly legally and that there was no reason to be nervous. He told me that he knew the laws and that he knew I was doing everything legally and asked me if I had a vehicle that I could put my gun in. I asked him if he knew wal-marts stance on OC and he said that he did. He stated that he had nothing against me or anything that I was doing and that he didn't want to start an argument (which I wasn't about to start and make OC look bad...) So I said, well I guess I can just go get my coat out of the car and conceal it. He told me thank you and moved on. I was just surprised that he would approach me so sneakily? And I was well within my right to be carrying... I felt like asking him if he could go change his shirt because I didn't think the blue went well with the colors of the store and that made me "nervous"...

    So, opinions? What could I have done better/differently?

  2. #2
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    I think I would have told the guy to go ask those that complained if they were nervous about other folks that might be in the store that were hiding their guns.

    This "out of sight, out of mind" mentality just erks me to no end.

  3. #3
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Ok, So I just emailed walmart asking for their policy regarding firearms. Of course... I already know the policy :-) I knew the policy before I ever stepped foot in the store... Should be interesting what they tell me though!

  4. #4
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    shanebelanger wrote:
    As soon as we passed him he came up to my rear and a little behind me on my strong (gun) side. He was about a foot away and could reach and grab my gun so I turned making it so he couldn't. We both stopped, I was about to ask him what he was doing when he told me that he had been approached by about four people about "me". I asked for what reason? He stated that I was making people "nervous".
    My response to this would be "You are making me nervous. Is there a reason that you are sneaking up on my like you are about to assault me?"

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    Unlike many here, you handled it well. Covering it up, when asked, was the right thing to do. That's how OC public relations are advanced, by not acting like a psycho and going on a tyrade just because the store asks you to cover your weapon.

    Had he said the weapon was not allowed in the store at all, you would do well to have simply left. However, covering up is not a big deal. You still have your gun. You're just as able to defend yourself. As a show of good faith for relations, just cover it. You did well.

  6. #6
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Thanks, I am currently the ONLY person that OC's in my area so I definitely don't want to give it a bad reputation. People around here tend to see it as "a bit much" but i'm simply exercising my right! Walmart still has not emailed me back about the incidence. I'm going to give them a few more days then email them again.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    42

    Post imported post

    shanebelanger wrote:
    Thanks, I am currently the ONLY person that OC's in my area so I definitely don't want to give it a bad reputation.

    Acceptance comes in time. OC becameunaccpeted over a long period of time, it will take an even longer period of time to make itaccepted again.

    Have patience with people that are uncomfortable. Do not disarm, but don't put up a fight to simply covering it. Remember, this is aprocess of baby steps. If you act like many here do and go with the attitude that you're going to ram OC down peoples' throats, this cause will continue to be mocked by even pro-gun people.

  8. #8
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Exactly, and it looked and felt awfully awkward being covered, I had a big bulge on my side. It also made me feel like a criminal. The people that complained i'm sure saw this and obviously thought that they were right, that I couldn't carry openly. I hate the "as long as I don't see it, it's not there" mentality. I'm still surprised that walmart hasn't emailed me back yet... i'm not sure if I should keep pushing the issue or not?

    There is no reason I should have to conceal my firearm, I am not a criminal, I am a law-abiding citizen simply exercising my rights. I could easily be afraid of the 6ft tall man wearing a pink and blue polka-dotted shirt that says "death to all" or something like that, but that wouldn't be right to go and complain about would it?? What if I saw two gay men holding hands and walking through wal-mart? Could I go ask the manager to tell them to stop because they are making me uncomfortable? Maybe I was beaten by a belt when I was a child and the belt the manager is wearing made me distraught and afraid... can I tell him to go put that in his car?

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas NV, ,
    Posts
    1,763

    Post imported post

    NigNog wrote:
    Unlike many here, you handled it well. Covering it up, when asked, was the right thing to do.




    No the right thing to do would have been to leave and not given any money to the store. All the OP did was bow down to wally. Leaving then writing a letter and calling the store mgr serves better and is the right thing to do. To continue to shop and give money to stores than do not want us is not the right thing to do.

  10. #10
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    I have done that before, went outside, locked the pistol in my car, walked back inside, put everything back where I had gotten it from, told the manager that I was now taking my business elsewhere and left. But I had way too much stuff to do that into wal-mart, my mother was also with me so... I will be emailing wal-mart again. I should also call or stop in and talk to the store manager.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    466

    Post imported post

    If someone had complained that there were *gasp!* black people shopping in the store and their presence made them nervous ....

    would they have asked the black patrons to go wait outside...?

    ... or tell the complainant to ****?

  12. #12
    Regular Member Flintlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Alaska, USA
    Posts
    1,224

    Post imported post

    NigNog wrote:
    Acceptance comes in time. OC becameunaccpeted over a long period of time, it will take an even longer period of time to make itaccepted again.

    Have patience with people that are uncomfortable.
    Most of us aren't going to be around 120 years from now. Do the anti's or the uninformed have patience with us? The media will do everything in their power to never let the social acceptance of open carry be realized.

    Why do we continually tip-toe aroundon eggshells when what we are doing and what we are about is legal, constitutional, safe, and just?

    People make me uncomfortable all the time and that doesn't stop them from continuing their choices, style, dress, attitude, habits, or whatever... And it shouldn't stop us either.




    Do not disarm, but don't put up a fight to simply covering it. Remember, this is aprocess of baby steps. If you act like many here do and go with the attitude that you're going to ram OC down peoples' throats, this cause will continue to be mocked by even pro-gun people.
    At this rate, thatwill never change regardless of how many years go by. The NRA puts it into words the public will accept such as "right to carry permits." Gun manufacturures and gun magazines also feed into what is socially accepted with the design, advertisement, and written articlesabout firearms specifically made for the concealed carry market.

    The law enforcement community are largely against us and aside from the few that frequent this forum, writesuch opinionson forums throughout the web and also in e-mails, and articles in magazines, letters to the editors, and news comments.

    On most other gun forms I have visited, open carry is met with resistance and ridicule.

    One open carrier at a Obama speech brought about significant negative reporting from the media. Cheers to him for accepting some interviews to set the record straight.

    Unless we get on one page with the gun owning community and the law enforcement community as well as receivenumerous, positive media exposure, the "uncomfortable" ones will end up being the least of our problems. Not sure what it will take to convince others but lots of gun owners actually believe in "the gun will get taken from you and used on you"theory.
    Peace through superior firepower

    Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    Well... I can see this, but if you get the majority of the population to hate you then obviously you won't get anywhere. Maybe people could be a little bit more confrontational but not much. People are already turned off and arguing or fighting will simply cause more ridicule. I was even ridiculed at my local gun club for open carry. I actually brought it up and got preached to about it... he hadn't noticed my HK yet and then I made the statement of "so you think that as soon as someone walked in here oc'ing you'd notice huh?" He looked around sheepishly and said yes! Then i gently tapped the handle of my gun with my fingers and saw him turn beat red. Then he was really embarrassed because he had just preached to me about what I was doing right in front of him. He just kind of left after that happened. Of course, this is a man with no CCW permit and has probably never carried a firearm in his life for self protection. Mind you this person also thought that the BAR was a 2 man rifle... he's about 65 years old... i'm 19 and I know it's a one man rifle... random I know, just something that came to mind.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    If I hear of someone being "uncomfortable" about my side arm, I'll invite that/those people to come speak to me in person about it. That way I'll have a chance to possibly dispell what ever perceptions they may have that are causing their discomfort.

    But I'll never cover up for anyone, as long asOC islegal.

  15. #15
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    shanebelanger wrote:
    Well... I can see this, but if you get the majority of the population to hate you then obviously you won't get anywhere. Maybe people could be a little bit more confrontational but not much. People are already turned off and arguing or fighting will simply cause more ridicule. I was even ridiculed at my local gun club for open carry. I actually brought it up and got preached to about it... he hadn't noticed my HK yet and then I made the statement of "so you think that as soon as someone walked in here oc'ing you'd notice huh?" He looked around sheepishly and said yes! Then i gently tapped the handle of my gun with my fingers and saw him turn beat red. Then he was really embarrassed because he had just preached to me about what I was doing right in front of him. He just kind of left after that happened. Of course, this is a man with no CCW permit and has probably never carried a firearm in his life for self protection. Mind you this person also thought that the BAR was a 2 man rifle... he's about 65 years old... i'm 19 and I know it's a one man rifle... random I know, just something that came to mind.
    This is how you debate with anti-gunners and anti-OC'ers. You don't have to argue much with them. Just ask the right questions, challenging their position, and sooner or later they will make a fool of themselves. It's easy really, they don't know what they are talking about most of the time anyway.

  16. #16
    Regular Member sraacke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Saint Gabriel, Louisiana, USA
    Posts
    1,222

    Post imported post

    Task Force 16 wrote:
    If I hear of someone being "uncomfortable" about my side arm, I'll invite that/those people to come speak to me in person about it. That way I'll have a chance to possibly dispell what ever perceptions they may have that are causing their discomfort.

    But I'll never cover up for anyone, as long asOC islegal.
    +1

    Personally I don't ever carry my CHP on me (not required for OC ) so if asked to cover up I point out that doing so would be illegal. IfI'm not breeaking store policy of the law thenI'm going to finish my shopping and the uncomfortable shoppers will just have to deal with it.
    President/ Founding Member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Lobelville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    2,615

    Post imported post

    yale wrote:
    Task Force 16 wrote:
    If I hear of someone being "uncomfortable" about my side arm, I'll invite that/those people to come speak to me in person about it. That way I'll have a chance to possibly dispell what ever perceptions they may have that are causing their discomfort.

    But I'll never cover up for anyone, as long asOC islegal.
    +1

    Personally I don't ever carry my CHP on me (not required for OC ) so if asked to cover up I point out that doing so would be illegal. IfI'm not breeaking store policy of the law thenI'm going to finish my shopping and the uncomfortable shoppers will just have to deal with it.
    I'm not able to use that argument since OC and CC require a HCP or similar permit, here in TN. I've been carrying for just over a year, always OC, and haven't had a problem about it yet.

  18. #18
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849

    Post imported post

    shanebelanger wrote:
    I have done that before, went outside, locked the pistol in my car, walked back inside, put everything back where I had gotten it from, told the manager that I was now taking my business elsewhere and left. But I had way too much stuff to do that into wal-mart, my mother was also with me so... I will be emailing wal-mart again. I should also call or stop in and talk to the store manager.
    I think you handled the situation fine, though like others, I don't particularly care for the mindset where somehow people believe they have a right to feel safe and secure from others who are exercising their rights.

    As for leaving your gun in your car, my take on that is quite simple. If someone steals my car, not only have they taken my car and whatever is in in, but I have effectively just given them a loaded firearm. Not good.

    One has to weigh what they consider to be the benefits to them between choosing not to do business with a store who has done what the OP reports here, and just biting the bullet and covering up.

    I have never had an incident at Walmart or Target or any such store, including Home Depot and Lowes. I suspect my initial reaction would be one of embarrassment followed by anger, but I would contain myself and probably just leave.

    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  19. #19
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    shanebelanger wrote:
    I'm currently 19 years old.... {snip} So I said, well I guess I can just go get my coat out of the car and conceal it.
    I wish the other states would recognize adulthood at 18 like Maine has chosen to do, least as far as CC permits are concerned.

  20. #20
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    I completely agree, although it would be nice to not have to "borrow" a handgun everytime I want to carry... I can't legally own a handgun until i'm 21 but I can legally conceal one at 18+ and of course, OC is legal at any age!

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,508

    Post imported post

    nakedshoplifter wrote:
    shanebelanger wrote:
    I'm currently 19 years old.... {snip} So I said, well I guess I can just go get my coat out of the car and conceal it.
    I wish the other states would recognize adulthood at 18 like Maine has chosen to do, least as far as CC permits are concerned.
    New Hampshire is even better: no age limit.

  22. #22
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    maine doesn't have an oc age limit either but now that that federal information has come to light?? What about that 15 year old in georgia that you always hear about?

  23. #23
    Accomplished Advocate
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Freeport, Maine, United States
    Posts
    667

    Post imported post

    You can't even buy handgun ammo in maine until your 21... I've gotta look into this more, and I've also got a lot of friends with FFL licenses who also said that I can't purchase a handgun until i'm 21... I can purchase a long gun but not a handgun (yes i know long gun but it's the term used by ffl's in maine...)

  24. #24
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766

    Post imported post

    shanebelanger wrote:
    SNIP So, opinions? What could I have done better/differently?
    Not bad. Not bad at all.

    I've not had the chance, so I have no idea if this would work, but I've been wondering about:

    "Sure. Before I go to my car, let me ask. Who would you rather have as a customer, someone that gets nervous atthe mere sight of a lawfully carried defensive implement, or a person who takes responsibility for the safety of themselves and those around them?"

    You would have to ask this in a way that carried no hint of displeasure, or trying to be smart and trap them. Its not trying to tell them they are wrong.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  25. #25
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
    If someone had complained that there were *gasp!* black people shopping in the store and their presence made them nervous ....

    would they have asked the black patrons to go wait outside...?

    ... or tell the complainant to ****?
    I like that.

    "Yes sir I will, oh and by the way all these African Americans/hispanics/etc. in here make me nervous. Could you do something about that?"
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •