• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Interested in a discussion on OCing Long arms

choover

imported post

I know I have read of some people open carrying rifles at some of the open carry meets, I am wondering what the general thoughts of people are on this.

I am 100% Pro gun, carry.. but personally I see this as a horrible idea on many levels.

I don't really see any practical or tactical reason for carrying a rifle in todays society, I actually see it as more of a counter tactical reason with the huge risk of actually using it and over peneteration. Some may argue this but I have put thousands of Hollow point and FMJ rounds through my AK and have see the damage they do to tree's and can't imagine ever actually using them in a city as a self defense method.

And I guess my 2nd reason follows the 1st.. If there isn't a real practical reason for carrying them I think we risk lawmakers actually making the laws more restricitve because of people carrying them. I know we have some favorable laws with us now in regards to OC and just need to educate the police on them :banghead: but having pictures of people carrying AK's gives the anti gun groups to much ammo.. I can see lawmakers listening to a arguement being made of what society would seem like if everyone walked around with a assult rifle on them ( 3rd world country)

Any how just curious on the groups opinions, seems like a horrible ideal to me :(

choover

imported post

dougwg wrote:
I think it's great to make a political statement.

Not so much for "personal defense" in our daily lives (mine anyway).

I agree that it makes a political statement, that's what I am afraid of. Some people think that we OC simply for attention ect, I think this is ammo for them.

And again, I am all for OC 100% I just feel this could damage us in the end. I truly believe if we start carrying for more than practical education and self defense we are going to set ourselves us for tighter regulations.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

choover wrote:
dougwg wrote:

I agree that it makes a political statement, that's what I am afraid of. Some people think that we OC simply for attention ect, I think this is ammo for them.

And again, I am all for OC 100% I just feel this could damage us in the end. I truly believe if we start carrying for more than practical education and self defense we are going to set ourselves us for tighter regulations.

Being Politically correct and afraid of your actions is the first attempt at controlling free speech in this country. Being afraid to say nigger or homo or lard ass is falling into the trap. WHO decides what is proper speech? Who decides what words we can express? Who decides what is the proper behavior? If an action is lawful then you are free to do it.

If you don't want to stand up and carry a long gun as a political statement then don't, but don't throw those that do under the bus because you are afraid of whattheir actions may provoke.

Don't let fear manager your life. We are all afraid at times, but there is a cure for fear and it's called courage. Courage to do what you think is right when all around you doubt you. I think that exercising our 2A rights should NOT be a fearful thing.

autosurgeon

imported post

Venator wrote:
choover wrote:
dougwg wrote:

Being Politically correct and afraid of your actions is the first attempt at controlling free speech in this country. Being afraid to say nigger or homo or lard ass is falling into the trap. WHO decides what is proper speech? Who decides what words we can express? Who decides what is the proper behavior? If an action is lawful then you are free to do it.

If you don't want to stand up and carry a long gun as a political statement then don't, but don't throw those that do under the bus because you are afraid of whattheir actions may provoke.

Don't let fear manager your life. We are all afraid at times, but there is a cure for fear and it's called courage. Courage to do what you think is right when all around you doubt you. I think that exercising our 2A rights should NOT be a fearful thing.
This!! :exclaim::exclaim:

choover

imported post

Venator wrote:
choover wrote:
dougwg wrote:

To me it isn't about fear, I think I would be more willing to stand up and do it if it had any practicallity to it. That's the part I don't like about it is that there are so many reasons that a rifle would be a bad method of self defense in most modern scenerios that I just see more down side to it. To me if you can't safetly use a ak47 to defend yourself in a semi populated scenerio then you are losing the most viable reason that we carry...self defense of us and those around us.

I also have to say I don't think I threw anyone under the bus in any of my statements, I think I was just trying to get a discussion about it since our actions have the ability to affect all of us. I read the court transcripts that have been posted here and I think most of us did and we have all seen how they try to turn things against us as it is. I don't think it would take to much negative court law against us to start causing us trouble especially since most of the cases where people here have the ability situation wise to file a lawsuit it seems financially they have no means.

I know personally when i started OCing I put 2 credit cards in my gun safe, one has a 6500 limit and the other has 5k, I also started socking cash away and even having been at 32 hours for the last 18 months I have managed to sacrifice and save just over 6000. I am not afraid of exercising my rights and I am one of the few that have made sure that if a situation happens against me I am prepared to gather case law for the cause. And I know that the economy hurts us all but it is still possible to sacrifice, the cash was saved during low work times ( under 34k annual ) and I have 2 kids and went through a divorce at the same time. And something you should know before you even begin to talk about me letting fear of my actions run my life is I got divorced because she was anti gun and when I started carrying she gave me a ultimatum... guns out of sight or she is out of sight...Well... the guns never talk back to me so I have to say I made the right choice :lol:

office888

imported post

Penetration isn't a bad thing.

North Hollywood Shootout anyone?

Armored suspects with automatic weapons? You also get to see an AK-type weapon jam on live television...

But, on a more practical note:

Yes, for ease of carry, long arms aren't the best option. But I'll tell you what, if I'm caught in a firefight, I'll my M4 over my 1911. With a rifle, you can completely negate the criminal's use of cover. Although you naturally deal with all of the issues related to size, such as the weight, how cumbersome it is, and how slow you would be to ready-up.

Or EVEN MORE PRACTICAL:

Maybe I want to go small game hunting. I can walk 1/4 mile, and I'm on public land. Well, I can't legally just put my rifle on my back and walk out. Maybe I want to stop by the gas station and grab something to drink on the way. If that's the case, then I definitely can't just walk in with a rifle on my back.

Not right now anyways. Hopefully we'll get an official statement on that. I really don't want to be a "test case".

:D

-Richard-

Venator

imported post

choover wrote:
Venator wrote:
choover wrote:
dougwg wrote:

To me it isn't about fear, I think I would be more willing to stand up and do it if it had any practicallity to it. That's the part I don't like about it is that there are so many reasons that a rifle would be a bad method of self defense in most modern scenerios that I just see more down side to it. To me if you can't safetly use a ak47 to defend yourself in a semi populated scenerio then you are losing the most viable reason that we carry...self defense of us and those around us. I don't think the carrying of a long gun is for self-defense as has been stated, it's more political.
Though there is the old joke about the western sheriff that was at a fancy BBQ and was OCing, when a grand old lady asked him... "Sheriff are you expecting trouble?" And the Sheriff responded with. "Ma'am if I was expecting trouble I'd be carrying my rifle."

I also have to say I don't think I threw anyone under the bus in any of my statements, I think I was just trying to get a discussion about it since our actions have the ability to affect all of us. I read the court transcripts that have been posted here and I think most of us did and we have all seen how they try to turn things against us as it is. I don't think it would take to much negative court law against us to start causing us trouble especially since most of the cases where people here have the ability situation wise to file a lawsuit it seems financially they have no means. Not sure of what negative court law you speak of? No OCer has been convicted of anything in regards to carrying firearmor have they caused trouble or broken any laws. We can play the what if game all day. I do have data that suggest that CPL holders break more laws than those that OC in Michigan. Maybe we need to outlaw CC and CPLs. After all they cause more trouble than us. As more LEO's learn that OC is legal and they start following the law any "negative " interactions should disappear.

I know personally when i started OCing I put 2 credit cards in my gun safe, one has a 6500 limit and the other has 5k, I also started socking cash away and even having been at 32 hours for the last 18 months I have managed to sacrifice and save just over 6000. To me this is a sign of fear. Fear that by exercising your right you will somehow need to defend yourself. I have nothing saved as I don't fear that the exercising of my rights is something to be feared. A right is a right. I am not afraid of exercising my rights and I am one of the few that have made sure that if a situation happens against me I am prepared to gather case law for the cause. And I know that the economy hurts us all but it is still possible to sacrifice, the cash was saved during low work times ( under 34k annual ) and I have 2 kids and went through a divorce at the same time. And something you should know before you even begin to talk about me letting fear of my actions run my life is I got divorced because she was anti gun and when I started carrying she gave me a ultimatum... guns out of sight or she is out of sight...Well... the guns never talk back to me so I have to say I made the right choice :lol:

Venator

imported post

office888 wrote:
Penetration isn't a bad thing.

North Hollywood Shootout anyone?

Armored suspects with automatic weapons? You also get to see an AK-type weapon jam on live television...

But, on a more practical note:

Yes, for ease of carry, long arms aren't the best option. But I'll tell you what, if I'm caught in a firefight, I'll my M4 over my 1911. With a rifle, you can completely negate the criminal's use of cover. Although you naturally deal with all of the issues related to size, such as the weight, how cumbersome it is, and how slow you would be to ready-up.

Or EVEN MORE PRACTICAL:

Maybe I want to go small game hunting. I can walk 1/4 mile, and I'm on public land. Well, I can't legally just put my rifle on my back and walk out.Of course you can. Nothing illegal about carrying a long gun. Maybe I want to stop by the gas station and grab something to drink on the way. If that's the case, then I definitely can't just walk in with a rifle on my back. Why not, it's not illegal. As long as you transported it lawfully while you were in a vehicle.

Not right now anyways. Hopefully we'll get an official statement on that. What official statement? We have had people carry long guns in towns with no problems. I really don't want to be a "test case". Why would you be a test case for doing something lawful?

:D

-Richard-

DanM

imported post

choover wrote:
I know I have read of some people open carrying rifles at some of the open carry meets, I am wondering what the general thoughts of people are on this.

I am 100% Pro gun, carry.. but personally I see this as a horrible idea on many levels.

I don't really see any practical or tactical reason for carrying a rifle in todays society, I actually see it as more of a counter tactical reason with the huge risk of actually using it and over peneteration. Some may argue this but I have put thousands of Hollow point and FMJ rounds through my AK and have see the damage they do to tree's and can't imagine ever actually using them in a city as a self defense method.

And I guess my 2nd reason follows the 1st.. If there isn't a real practical reason for carrying them I think we risk lawmakers actually making the laws more restricitve because of people carrying them. I know we have some favorable laws with us now in regards to OC and just need to educate the police on them :banghead: but having pictures of people carrying AK's gives the anti gun groups to much ammo.. I can see lawmakers listening to a arguement being made of what society would seem like if everyone walked around with a assult rifle on them ( 3rd world country)

Any how just curious on the groups opinions, seems like a horrible ideal to me :(
Choover,

I know I have read of some people open carrying, I am wondering what the general thoughts of yoursare on this.

I am 100% Pro gun .. but personally I see this as a horrible idea on many levels.

I don't really see any practical or tactical reason for open carryingin todays society, I actually see it as more of a counter tactical reason with the huge risk of being targetedand having it grabbed. Some may argue this but I have put thousands of hoursinto concealed carryand can't imagine ever actually using open carryin a city as a self defense method.

And I guess my 2nd reason follows the 1st.. If there isn't a real practical reason for open carryingI think we risk lawmakers actually making the laws more restricitve because of people open carrying. I know we have some favorable laws with us now in regards to concealed carrybut having pictures of people open carrying gives the anti gun groups to much ammo.. I can see lawmakers listening to a arguement being made of what society would seem like if everyone walked around with a visible handgunon them (the wild west)

Any how just curious on youropinions, seems like a horrible ideal (open carrying)to me.

[The above is to make a point. I, of course, support open carry. I also support and defend any lawful exercise of liberty, no matter how much I might personally disagree with it or feel it's not "right" for me.Choover is wrong. The robust exercise of liberties will not possibly lead to restrictions, in fact it leads to the protection of them. The opposite is true: we have a history of losing our rights because we fell asleep and did not exercise them. Look at the loss, and then the gain again, of gun rights over the past few decades. Exercise your rights or lose them, that is the saying of the open carry movement. It is true of ALL rights, including the general exercise ofkeeping and bearing arms . . . ALL lawful arms. Choover, grow a pair and do not fear the bearing of lawful arms including long arms. Fear and fight only those people who would take those rights away, the anti-gun/anti-American/anti-liberty people.]

choover

imported post

Venator wrote:
choover wrote:
Venator wrote:
choover wrote:
dougwg wrote:

To me it isn't about fear, I think I would be more willing to stand up and do it if it had any practicallity to it. That's the part I don't like about it is that there are so many reasons that a rifle would be a bad method of self defense in most modern scenerios that I just see more down side to it. To me if you can't safetly use a ak47 to defend yourself in a semi populated scenerio then you are losing the most viable reason that we carry...self defense of us and those around us. I don't think the carrying of a long gun is for self-defense as has been stated, it's more political.
Though there is the old joke about the western sheriff that was at a fancy BBQ and was OCing, when a grand old lady asked him... "Sheriff are you expecting trouble?" And the Sheriff responded with. "Ma'am if I was expecting trouble I'd be carrying my rifle."

I also have to say I don't think I threw anyone under the bus in any of my statements, I think I was just trying to get a discussion about it since our actions have the ability to affect all of us. I read the court transcripts that have been posted here and I think most of us did and we have all seen how they try to turn things against us as it is. I don't think it would take to much negative court law against us to start causing us trouble especially since most of the cases where people here have the ability situation wise to file a lawsuit it seems financially they have no means. Not sure of what negative court law you speak of? No OCer has been convicted of anything in regards to carrying firearmor have they caused trouble or broken any laws. We can play the what if game all day. I do have data that suggest that CPL holders break more laws than those that OC in Michigan. Maybe we need to outlaw CC and CPLs. After all they cause more trouble than us. As more LEO's learn that OC is legal and they start following the law any "negative " interactions should disappear.

I know personally when i started OCing I put 2 credit cards in my gun safe, one has a 6500 limit and the other has 5k, I also started socking cash away and even having been at 32 hours for the last 18 months I have managed to sacrifice and save just over 6000. To me this is a sign of fear. Fear that by exercising your right you will somehow need to defend yourself. I have nothing saved as I don't fear that the exercising of my rights is something to be feared. A right is a right. I am not afraid of exercising my rights and I am one of the few that have made sure that if a situation happens against me I am prepared to gather case law for the cause. And I know that the economy hurts us all but it is still possible to sacrifice, the cash was saved during low work times ( under 34k annual ) and I have 2 kids and went through a divorce at the same time. And something you should know before you even begin to talk about me letting fear of my actions run my life is I got divorced because she was anti gun and when I started carrying she gave me a ultimatum... guns out of sight or she is out of sight...Well... the guns never talk back to me so I have to say I made the right choice :lol:

I am not talking about current negative court law I am talking about the potential for it as we have seen as police have already tried on many occassions to jam up people OCing handguns.

Having a war chest in case it is needed is far from fear and is more prepared, the pages on this site alone contain incident after incident of cases where OCers have been harassed, had guns pulled on them, have had to go to court... How is wanting to be able to have the ability to be productive if something happens being fearful? I didn't wait until I had the money saved up to OC. I just got tired of reading of potential scenerios where if someone had the financial means to have pursued something in cival court they would have. I think we have already seen that we are most likely not going to get a lawyer to take us on contigency.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
It always starts with few brass marbled folks!

I've mentioned it before how it started with the 4 of us in Brighton with handguns, and I think a similar thing needs to be done to legitimize long arm OC.

Somewhere rural or otherwise low risk with decent cops would be ideal. I actually think lansing might work as a first time long arm OC place for a walk like they did in ohio earlier this year.

It will never be common or a great idea as a defensive strategy, but I feel we have an obligation to begin selectively long arm OCing on principle. If we can get 4 or more people willing to do it in lansing or somewhere else that seems feasible, I'll do my best to be there.

Michigander

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I wouldn't be adverse... I have a shotgun that is registered as a pistol... so I am covered that way BUT it still looks like a long arm.. so it gets the point across.

Cool! Me too. :celebrate

The best trick with a "pistol" long gun is to have a holster so that you're covered by the AG opinion. Even a scabbard with a belt loop stitched on would probably work okay.

Venator

imported post

choover wrote:

I am not talking about current negative court law I am talking about the potential for it as we have seen as police have already tried on many occassions to jam up people OCing handguns. A very small %. Of all the people that OC the amount that get harassed is small and will get smaller as time goes on.

Having a war chest in case it is needed is far from fear and is more prepared, the pages on this site alone contain incident after incident of cases where OCers have been harassed, had guns pulled on them, have had to go to court... Again a small %. How is wanting to be able to have the ability to be productive if something happens being fearful? I didn't wait until I had the money saved up to OC. I just got tired of reading of potential scenerios where if someone had the financial means to have pursued something in cival court they would have. I think we have already seen that we are most likely not going to get a lawyer to take us on contigency. Only one law suit has been filed so far. While many would love to sue, I find it better to give the LEO and the Department a chance to correct any problems. This strategy has work almost all the time. We are working on one city where we have a continuing problem, but that may be taken care of soon. If a city continues to harass people even after being told that it's unlawful then a suit may be appropriate. But this is really off of your main point that you don't think OC of a long gun is a good idea. And I have given my opinion on that.