• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Clarification - seating capacity

mikestilly

imported post

Put it this way. It's really simple I dont think this has to be really complicated. This is the way I handle it I dont speak for anyone else. If there is a sign stated like in the law I dont bring it in. If there isnt a sign and I have no way of knowing the capasity I will either open carry or conceal carry. That's it. Nothing more to it then that. I dont feelit needs to be anymore complicated then that.

As for the zoo there is no stated capasity so I conceal carry as not to rock the boat with the posted over zelous lamer rent a cops in there. No need to make an incident and not be able to see their great repitle exhibit or ruin it for the whole family. :)

Mike

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
My brother was asked to put his gun in the vehicle at the Rivertown Crossing location... He was with 16 other people and they all walked out .... Celebration lost about 300 bucks that day alone bc of their position on guns...

I tend to not go to the big theaters. I rather go to the small theaters and give them the business.
Interesting... I OC there about once every 6 months so... I've OC'd approximately 3-4 times at the Rivertown Crossings location. I don't doubt your brother's experience, though. I went from cc to oc each time before I went in because the mall itself doesn't like firearms worn openly.

All Celebration Cinemas are owned by Jack Loeks... the person who also owned Studio 28 which I mentioned above. I haven't seen any signs at the Rivertown Crossings location, so your brother must have been noticed by "someone who cares" (sarcasm).

autosurgeon

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
My brother was asked to put his gun in the vehicle at the Rivertown Crossing location... He was with 16 other people and they all walked out .... Celebration lost about 300 bucks that day alone bc of their position on guns...

I tend to not go to the big theaters. I rather go to the small theaters and give them the business.
Interesting... I OC there about once every 6 months so... I've OC'd approximately 3-4 times at the Rivertown Crossings location. I don't doubt your brother's experience, though. I went from cc to oc each time before I went in because the mall itself doesn't like firearms worn openly.

All Celebration Cinemas are owned by Jack Loeks... the person who also owned Studio 28 which I mentioned above. I haven't seen any signs at the Rivertown Crossings location, so your brother must have been noticed by "someone who cares" (sarcasm).
Yeah he was noticed by a fat little man with a manager name badge on... the fellow was very nasty and my brother did send a letter to John Loeks and complain... I will have to ask if he has gotten a response....

He was dressed up as it was a Sunday afternoon... so I know he looked presentable...

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
DrTodd wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:

Yeah he was noticed by a fat little man with a manager name badge on... the fellow was very nasty and my brother did send a letter to John Loeks and complain... I will have to ask if he has gotten a response....

He was dressed up as it was a Sunday afternoon... so I know he looked presentable...
He likely stood out as this theater's clientele is typically 14-16 years old and dressed VERY casually. Being in a suit and or tie would probably be noticed. Well, then there is the issue of THE FIREARM ;).

ghostrider

imported post

DrTodd wrote:
I looked up the seating capacity for Celebration Cinema (North) and the (unverified) seating capacity appears to be 3500; I hesitated posting it. BUT since you "know" that it meets the "2500+" requirement, then I guess me posting it here doesn't hurt your carrying ability.

Zig is correct... be careful. I am aware of two places in this state that post a seating capacity of 2500+, even though they actually have an actual seating capacity of slightly less. Since they are not posted as required by law and have an actual seating capacity of less than 2500, I ignore the signs. The way the law is written, either the posting or the actual seating capacity could cause the facility to be a "no concealed zone" (depending on how the judge/jury decides to read the law). Therefore, the best way I think to deal with it is to doubt every sign UNLESS it meets the size/placement requirements. This is my way of dealing with the issue; not a suggestion as to how you personally should view it...

Taxwhat mentioned the Detroit Zoo which in my opinion is NOT an entertainment facility. A BS way by the Detroit Zoo to TRY to create a criminal empowerment zone where one does not exist.
see Mich. AG Opinion 7120
http://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2000s/op10195.htm

Why not OC "unobtrusively" and stay legal?
This is odd. Last time I went there, the door was posted with a "building capacity" of 2500. No way it's got a seating capacity of 3500 with a building capacity of 2500, but that's what it says on the doors.