• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry Rights front page headline

Section32

imported post

http://www.indystar.com/article/20091011/NEWS14/910110365/

In a large, bold headline on the front page of their Sunday, October 11 edition, the Indianapolis Star screams: "SHOULD MEN LIKE THESE BE ALLOWED TO CARRY A GUN?". The article proceeds to examine the permitting process and its vague language requiring a person to be of "good character and reputation" in order to successfully obtain a permit. This article will no doubt stir the non-gun owning populace into a clamor for tougher laws. What say you?

Beau

imported post

Is the system flawed? Yes. I have yet to see government system that is not.

The question is: Do the flaws in the system enable people to commit firearms related crimes? The answer is no.

1. An LTCH is not required to purchase a gun. Only to carry one.
  2. The LTCH is justa pink piece of paper. It can not prevent or enable a person to commit a crime.
The article talks about ISP issuing an LTCH against the recommendation at the county level. Indiana is a shall issue state. This means that unless there are legal grounds for disqualification the license will be issued regardless of what the county recommends. This is the way it should be with the current process. The last thing we need is an anti sheriff recommending denial to everyone in their county who applies because they don't believe in the 2nd amendment.

AsI said the LTCH does nothing to prevent or enable crime. The actual purpose it serves is to collect money from the people for the government. It is a tax. A tax that has been placed on our rights. In my opinion it is a system that should be done away with.

Section32

imported post

My concern, especially in urban areas like Indianapolis, is that the patriots who promote responsible gun ownership will become overwhelmed by the fear of the non-gun owning, law-abiding citizen who is basically afraid of guns. I'm afraid promoting our rights will simply cause the 'sheeple' to vote in stronger restrictions. We need to inform and educate the public on the reasons behind our historic rights.

I live on the north side and, if you believe the Star's data, only 4% of the adult population in my zip code are LTCH owners. That means we are easily subject to oppression by the majority. My inclination is tojust keep quiet and carry CC to avoid a backlash.

Beau

imported post

Section32 wrote:
My concern, especially in urban areas like Indianapolis, is that the patriots who promote responsible gun ownership will become overwhelmed by the fear of the non-gun owning, law-abiding citizen who is basically afraid of guns. I'm afraid promoting our rights will simply cause the 'sheeple' to vote in stronger restrictions. We need to inform and educate the public on the reasons behind our historic rights.

I live on the north side and, if you believe the Star's data, only 4% of the adult population in my zip code are LTCH owners. That means we are easily subject to oppression by the majority. My inclination is tojust keep quiet and carry CC to avoid a backlash.

I have heard this thinking before and completely disagree. The left and the media have convinced most people that a gun can only be used properly in the hands of a police officer. At least half of these types of people believe that even owning a gun means that the person is some kind of zealot and a danger to society. They believe that someone who actually wants to carry a gun around with them has got to be a criminal and up to no good.

These people are also convinced that the police are there to protect them. If anything bad happens all you have to do is call the police and here they come to save the day. They watch Cops and 48 hours and see the police catching bad guys and solving crimes. They don't think about how a lot of these crimes could have been stopped by a responsible person with a firearm. They don't see that the crime was already committed before the police got there. They just see the boys in blue catching the bad guy.

I OC on a regular basis. It still amazes me every time the reaction I get when someone asks me if I am a police officer and I tell them no. They don't even know that it is legal to carry a firearm. These are adult US citizens, not some rights stripped person from another country.

What saddens me is every time a kid inquires about my status as an officer and I tell them no the first phrase out of their mouths is "I thought only the police and bad guys carried guns".

So my point is this. :celebrate

Seriously though. Hiding your firearm in shame is not the answer. When you walk by a person with your concealed firearm they do not see a law abiding firearms owner. They see a person walking by. What better way to strike up a conversation about firearms and ownership of them than to have the person standing in line next to you ask about the pistol on your hip? In my opinion OC'ing is the best non in-your-face way to promote firearm ownership. Your not throwing a pamphlet in their face. Your not standing in a crowd backed by hundreds of like minded individuals which can be intimidating. You simply conduct your daily life, visibly armed, and let them come to you.

Section32

imported post

I love your idealism. [I'm also copying your larger type as it is much easier to read on my iPhone!]. I will admit I am new to the concept of OC. That's why I'm here on this forum. I participated in the OC Walk of 9/26 in downtown Indy and it was my coming out party as a gun advocate. However, you have to admit, that the VAST majority of "law abiding citizens" in an urban area like Indianapolis are afraid of guns and believe those who carry them are up to no good. I talk to my neighbors and co-workers about my passion for gun rights and they think I'm nuts. I'd love to say that I am ready to 'go where no man has gone before', on this but, I'm afraid that the trend is against us.

Beau

imported post

By all means take your time easing into the idea of OC. I hope you don't feel like I am attacking you in my posts. I merely wish to state another view.

OC is not for everyone. I have never been hassled but this does not mean it will not happen. I have had plenty of dirty looks and stares. I have also had some very good conversations with others who inquire about my firearm.

To me though OC'ing is not just about educating the public. It is also a more comfortable way to carry. I also feel that it is a deterrent. Someone looking at me as their next target may notice my weapon and decide I am not the person they were looking for. Plus it is faster. By that I mean that if I should need my weapon it is readily available. I do not need to worry about navigating clothing to draw my weapon.

ATM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I believe that OCing in the course ofour normal daily activities is the strongest opposition to the common sheeple mindset promulgated and sensationalized by the mainstream media. If folks don't see us carrying, they are left with those pictures on the front page as their only reference to citizens with guns. We can't allow a few criminals who slip through the cracks to represent usto society.

Rights are not protected by hiding them but by their exercise.

Likewise, mindsets are not changed as much by special eventsas by the cumulative effect of repetition. The trend is swayed to positive when more people are seen carrying responsibly than the thugs depicted in the paper.

If we make it common, I assure you they will get used to it.

2ndammendmentbrotha

imported post

Your exposed pistol is a greatdeterrent indeed! Not long ago I pulled into a Strack&vantill lot and there were some no goodnics walking up to peoples cars. Seeing this I exposed my pistol and got out of car. They came towards me but the sight of my gun changed thier minds. They immediately went the other way.