Thread: im selling a 1911 what do i need from the buyer?

Post imported post

hello

im selling one of my guns but i dont know if i can sell it to any one without the police back ground from the buyer

what do i have to do when making person to person sales

im selling srpingfield armory 1911 GI champion 4'' barrel,3 mags,dual mag holster,pistol holster and case, it has only 201 rounds of winchester fired, 520$

thank you

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

The only thing you "need" is some kind of consideration from the buyer, e.g., cash, services, or an item in barter.

An offer, an acceptance, and consideration are required for a binding contract. Unless you are an FFL, you don't need anything else.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Well said! IOW a contract.

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    You need to have no reasonable belief or actual knowledge that they are a felon, domestic violence convict, not a Virginia resident, under 18 years of age or are going to use the gun to commit a crime. Oh, and the gun you are selling them is not stolen.

How you choose to verify that is completely up to you, however there is NO requirement for verification of prohibitions, just that you have no knowledge or reasonable suspicion of the above.

Reasonable suspicion above would be out of state license plates when you meet to do the deal, or taking a check with an out of state address. Statements like, "I can't wait to cap Bobby Joe with this!" And remember, the choice to sell to somebody is yours. They show up and you don't like the way they look, you are under no obligation to sell to them.

A two part bill of sale is highly recommended. You sign one part as a receipt for the buyer's money and they sign one part as a receipt for your gun. They get the part with your signature and you get the part with their signature. Both parts of the bill of sale should contain the printed names of the parties, the date, amount of money, make model and serial number of the gun and the applicable person's signature.

That's it according to VA state law and Federal law.
    That's how I did it in CO. Driver's license is good to see for proof of residency. Some states, like CO, allow sale to non-res in the military as well, so military ID would be required.
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

NavyLT wrote:
    Gunslinger wrote:
    That's how I did it in CO. Driver's license is good to see for proof of residency. Some states, like CO, allow sale to non-res in the military as well, so military ID would be required.
    Actually, all states allow sales to "non-res" military because as soon as an active duty military member arrives in a state with permanent orders to that state, by Federal law, for firearms transactions, they become residents of the state they are ordered to.
    I wasn't aware of that being law. What about states which require some type of permit to own a handgun? NYC comes to mind. I know MA will issue, readily, a non-res pistol permit, but there is no such thing in NY. IL Firearms IDs come to mind as well. Only resident. Do you have a citation?

Answered the question about IL: non-res, obviously including Military, are exempt from the FOID requirement while in the state if lawfully seized of the weapon in their own state. Would apply to an extended stay, for example at Great Lakes or Scott. Now NY? Anybody know?
    "For any man who sheds his blood with me this day shall be my brother...And gentlemen now abed shall think themselves accursed, they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks who fought with us on Crispin's day." Henry V

Post imported post

Hey is the gun for sale? Let me know. I'm interested and in fairfax.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

led for breakfast wrote:
    im selling srpingfield armory 1911 GI champion 4'' barrel,3 mags,dual mag holster,pistol holster and case, it has only 201 rounds of winchester fired, 520$

thank you
    Is this you discussed on the other thread? The gunthatwas giving youtrouble?
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

yea it is i hope i can sell it once i get it back from SA